• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vermont 19-20

knolan12

Angel Diva
@Peaheartsmama I kept wedging too on trails I was super familiar and comfortable with, super tiring and does a number on my lower body haha

Thanks for the heads up @SqueakySnow ! We come up here once a year for skiing and have not been picking the best days haha Last year we were here when they shut down the mountain for those crazy 100+ mph winds, this year it's spring skiing in February ‍♀️

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
100% @SallyCat! Improved signage and more detailed snow reports are massive missed opportunities. It seems like resorts are purposefully cagy about snow conditions... maybe they don't want to scare potential customers away? This feels short sighted, focused too much on the single visit rather than building a loyal relationship that leads to countless future visits. I also agree that mountains with more varied terrain are more desirable. They keep skiers entertained, and help with growth from beginner to expert. The key is clearly outlining the progression so no one finds themselves accidentally in an unpleasant or dangerous situation.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@knolan12 Have fun today! There is a winter storm watch today for parts of the Green Mountains. Be careful, and hopefully it will bring some fresh snow so you won't have to worry about the slushy mash that was showing up yesterday :smile:

https://www.weather.gov/btv/

Tvan

Angel Diva
Another day like yesterday at Sugarbush... mashed potatoes by 10:30. Made it to the Mt. Ellen side (that is one LOOOONNNGGG lift ride) and found more of same with the addition sots of bare dirt and ice. Every second run seems to have moguls, and only about half of the mountain has been groomed. Is this a Sugarbush thing? ‘Natural’ conditions and moguls?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Another day like yesterday at Sugarbush... mashed potatoes by 10:30. Made it to the Mt. Ellen side (that is one LOOOONNNGGG lift ride) and found more of same with the addition sots of bare dirt and ice. Every second run seems to have moguls, and only about half of the mountain has been groomed. Is this a Sugarbush thing? ‘Natural’ conditions and moguls?
How warm has it been? I've only been to Sugarbush for a day and it was a cold day a couple days after a powder storm. The coverage was good and there were plenty of groomed trails. One early season trip to Sunday River, they hadn't been able to groom because the snow cover was too thin and too soft to risk getting the groomer snowcats stuck in the mud below the snow.

Tvan

Angel Diva
@marzNC - 48 degrees on Monday, 38 degrees today. Spring conditions for sure. They were 100% open last week. This week, there is very thin cover on some trails, and “expert conditions” on others, as @Tennessee says. And moguls. A plethora of moguls. Even DH had to takeoff his board and hike out of a mogul run today... crazy high and icy.

knolan12

Angel Diva
Bolton Valley was great yesterday untillll it started to rain. We managed to last until 2 when I got fed up with not being able to see with my goggles coated in water and the mountain turned to slush.

Really appreciated the suggestion to ski BV! We really liked it. I think I freaked myself out with the narrowness of Sherman's Pass (I love Toll Road at Stowe so not sure what my issue was yesterday...), but thoroughly enjoyed all the trails off the mid-mountain lift. There were definitely more trails to explore and we'll be back! My only complaint is the signage on the trails was either non-existent or very hard to read (why so small?). Accidentally sent my husband down a very bumpy blue off the mid-mountain lift since we weren't sure what actual trail it was and I wanted him to see if it was something I'd like ‍♀️

Tvan

Angel Diva
Yesterday: GREAT day on Mt. Ellen side of Sugarbush. Should have spent all three days over there on the upper mountain. Ran happy laps on Rim Run to NorthStar and back. Very fun, despite low visibility and falling sow.

Today: 5-6 inches of heavy packing snow fell at Stratton overnight. I tried to ski. I really did. I ran laps on Village Walk (beginner green) and could not get out of the backseat. Every time I shifted my weight forward in my boots, my tips sank into the snow and I lost control. I did better in "cowgirl stance" but had a miserable time trying to turn. Could only stop by turning completely uphill. WTH?? More "expert conditions"??

I swear I can ski. I had a great season in 2018-2019. I had a good time at Okemo in January. I skied Stratton in January and hit a ton of trails, including Kidderbrook - the infamous and unending straight shot black diamond on the Sunbowl.

Today, however, I can't even turn on the beginner's slope. DH is texting me from the hill, telling me he's exhausted and having a challenging time as well. I know some days are like this, but sheesh.

Last edited:

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Going to Smuggs tomorrow! It's snowing in Burlington right now (heavy wet stuff), but I hope there are fluffy bits falling in the mountains

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yesterday: GREAT day on Mt. Ellen side of Sugarbush. Should have spent all three days over there on the upper mountain. Ran happy laps on Rim Run to NorthStar and back. Very fun, despite low visibility and falling sow.

Today: 5-6 inches of heavy packing snow fell at Stratton overnight. I tried to ski. I really did. I ran laps on Village Walk (beginner green) and could not get out of the backseat. Every time I shifted my weight forward in my boots, my tips sank into the snow and I lost control. I did better in "cowgirl stance" but had a miserable time trying to turn. Could only stop by turning completely uphill. WTH?? More "expert conditions"??

I swear I can ski. I had a great season in 2018-2019. I had a good time at Okemo in January. I skied Stratton in January and hit a ton of trails, including Kidderbrook - the infamous and unending straight shot black diamond on the Sunbowl.

Today, however, I can't even turn on the beginner's slope. DH is texting me from the hill, telling me he's exhausted and having a challenging time as well. I know some days are like this, but sheesh.

If Stratton was anything like here, quitting was the right call. That kind of heavy snow is just asking to damage you! Yesterday was good, today not - just the balance of weather IMHO! You lived to ski another day!! Right call made!

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Smuggs was GREAT today. Lots of fresh snow coming down all day with about 6" of nice fluffies on the ground. It was a bit windy at times, but nothing to complain about. Temps in the mid 20s... perfect. Only problem was both Madonna lifts went out due to wind and some sort of electrical hoodoo around 230p. So, the Sterling lift was the only one spinning for the last part of the day. Hope they get that sorted out because the snow is in great shape!

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Smuggs was GREAT today. Lots of fresh snow coming down all day with about 6" of nice fluffies on the ground. It was a bit windy at times, but nothing to complain about. Temps in the mid 20s... perfect. Only problem was both Madonna lifts went out due to wind and some sort of electrical hoodoo around 230p. So, the Sterling lift was the only one spinning for the last part of the day. Hope they get that sorted out because the snow is in great shape!

Good to hear about the conditions- I am headed there tomorrow for another Women's Clinic. I hope they get the electrical kinks sorted out!

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Smuggs was great today too & the lifts were running fine. Still a lot of fresh powder. I would bet most of the northern VT resorts have similar powder.

Back at Smuggs tomorrow for another lesson- can't wait! And Tuesday we are headed to Sugarbush- I hope the good ski weather holds.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Friday at Stratton was AWESOME and I had a great day. We departed Saturday for home, with a planned stop at Northshire Books ( the mother of all independent bookstores everywhere) where we ran into @ski diva and Mr. Ski Diva and I was able to get Jon to sign a copy of “Marley” for me in real time! <sings chorus of “its a small world after all”> Ski Divas are everywhere (in Vermont)!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Friday at Stratton was AWESOME and I had a great day. We departed Saturday for home, with a planned stop at Northshire Books ( the mother of all independent bookstores everywhere) where we ran into @ski diva and Mr. Ski Diva and I was able to get Jon to sign a copy of “Marley” for me in real time! <sings chorus of “its a small world after all”> Ski Divas are everywhere (in Vermont)!

Wonderful in all regards then!! As for skiing .... what a difference a day makes, eh? :becky:

newboots

Angel Diva
Can anyone give me an update on current Okemo or Mt Snow conditions?

I haven't been up on the mountain (Okemo) but I can say with certainty that it is warm here. Today Ludlow's weather says they had a high of 39 and will have a low of 24 tonight. At my house (2 towns away) it was nearly 50.

Tomorrow Ludlow's temp is predicted to be a high of 29 and a low of 17, and a chance of snow most of the afternoon. I don't know what their website says.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly