• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Venting on DH's poor ski instruction

Lellandra

Certified Ski Diva
Hello Divas!

I think I've finally calmed down enough to talk about my DH experience on Snowshoe this month.

We got there on Sunday night 03/20 and left on Tuesday afternoon. I bought classes for both if us for Monday. He had skied once before in his life and that was 2 weeks before. We had a private instructor that was splitting his time between him and my daughter. She didn't go to Snowshoe with us.

So here we are, uber excited about the classes, he goes for the yellow class and I'm on the green one.

My class was okay, the instructor was a very young guy, he seemed more interested in going down the slopes. I was not bothered by it, I wanted to do some drills but I just thought "I'm going to have fun today, DH is having his class and learning, this is great!".

Well, 20 minutes left to the end of the classes I find my husband's group coming down the green slope. I start to worry when I see his face and he looks miserable. I ask the instructor to wait for him to get to us and when he does, he is telling everyone he's taking off the skis and walking the rest of the slope down. It seems he had been tumbling most of the way down the slope, had hit his head twice on the hard pack snow (he called it snow cement, it was hard packed snow and pretty fast too) and was done. He looked embarrassed too. I asked if he wanted me to call the ski patrol and he said no. I didn't insist because I thought he'd be even more embarrassed.

I wait for him at the bottom of the slope because he said he didn't want me to walk with him. He wanted me to enjoy the rest of the class. :frown:

We went to the Boathouse and started talking and it turns out this instructor barely showed them how to do a wedge turn and took them to the normal green slope that felt more like blue because of all the very hard packed snow. I'm not sure if he was a new instructor but he almost killed all my husband's confidence. I had to beg him to try the next day. He did try and thank goodness it was a different instructor and much more technical. He did all kinds of different drills and he learned a LOT. He also didn't take any of the students down the green slope. DH said he talked to another student on his class and she was also instructed by the same guy the day before but later in the day. And she also had tumbled down the slope instead of skiing. :mad2:

So a week has passed, he still has bruises from the experience. The problem is now he wants to try snowboarding. I think he might be done with skiing. :cry:

I have been trying to convince him skiing is better for him. He is an army vet and has a bad ankle and the ski boots really help with that. He also has a titanium pin on his shoulder and I told him snowboarding falls are worse on them (I don't know if this is true but I was desperate).

What do you guys suggest? Try and convince him skiing is better? Let him take snowboarding lessons and see what happens?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I tried snowboarding a couple of years ago and have never fallen so much in my life, I still shudder at the thought of trying it again.. Couldn't wait to get back on my skis!

How awful that he had such a bad experience from this instructor! I feel as an instructor part of the goal for newbies is to make them feel safe and confident not terrify them! Did you complain?

Lellandra

Certified Ski Diva
I tried snowboarding a couple of years ago and have never fallen so much in my life, I still shudder at the thought of trying it again.. Couldn't wait to get back on my skis!

How awful that he had such a bad experience from this instructor! I feel as an instructor part of the goal for newbies is to make them feel safe and confident not terrify them! Did you complain?

upload_2016-3-31_10-39-56.png

Normal PR answer... Boo! :(

I am very sorry your hubby had such a bad experience. I don't like hearing when instructors do what happened to him. I just started instructing and I will never, ever push my students to go anywhere they don't want to go, especially a never ever. The goal is to start sliding and have fun and walk away from a lesson going ok I want to do more of this.

I used to snowboard, did it for 7 years, maybe a little longer. I still like to board now and again but I mainly ski now. I am not bashing snowboarding at all but when I was learning I was constantly on my a$$. The reason is because you are learning to go from toe to heel edge and you are learning how to shift your weight to do so. This might sound easy but until you get the mechanics down its a lot of falling and getting back up. Some get if faster than others but learning to snowboard can be a VERY FRUSTRATING EXPERIENCE. When I was first learning I was so sore that I couldn't even bush my hair, it hurt to life my arms above my head from getting up/falling down constantly all day. Once you get it you can progress quickly but its quite possible if he's that frustrated now he'll be that 10 x over trying to snowboard as the learning curve is way steeper.

Try to keep encouraging him to ski, maybe take a couple more lessons. Perhaps with the right instructor he'll be singing a different tune in a few days.

elemmac

Angel Diva
That's so awful that he had such a terrible lesson (if you can even call that a lesson), even more so that it doesn't sound like the instructor even noticed he was having such a bad time. Glad to hear he got back out there and had a better second day though.

I'd say have him go for it and take a snowboarding lesson. Once he does that, he can make a decision on what he, personally, wants to pursue (if either of them).

I've snowboarded for 17 years, exclusively for 12 of them. I love it...for many different reasons and many of the same reasons that I love to ski. Who knows, maybe he'll find a knack for that and pick it up quickly (as @surfsnowgirl and @MissySki mentioned, there will be a lot of falls and pushing yourself up until you get it though).

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
View attachment 5402

Normal PR answer... Boo! :(

Call the ski school. Ask to speak to a supervisor. I'd like to know what your message to them was - was it clear that your husband was injured? It's bad enough your lesson wasn't really a lesson, but what your husband experienced is downright harmful. And from a purely business-oriented standpoint, ski school needs to be growing the ski population, not culling it!

Lellandra

Certified Ski Diva
This is the message below:

Chat Conversation Start
MAR 23RD, 5:30PM
Hello! Wanted to write to say I had a great time on the slopes Monday and Tuesday! Thank you for keeping the trails in great shape! Now I have to say one of your instructors needs a refresher. My husband almost didn't go out to the slopes on our second day. He took a yellow class Monday morning and the instructor took the group to a green slope. My husband was not ready at all. After falling several times he gave up and took his skis off and walked down to the lifts. He felt so embarrassed. I convinced him to take another class yesterday for the same skill level and the new teacher was amazing! He learned a lot. He also said another student in that class had the same experience with the same teacher at the 11 am class Monday. I'm letting you know this because I love skiing and I want everyone to learn how fun it is. It is really easy to kill someone's confidence when they are starting. I want my whole family to ski with me and that's why I make them go to classes. Teachers need to be ski ambassadors! Show how much fun it is and nurture the students confidence. I don't want this happening to other new skiers. Thanks!

Lellandra

Certified Ski Diva
You're too nice. You should have demanded another lesson free or be reimbursed for the second one.

That message just got filed, not acted upon.....

Yes, I have trouble with complaints. It's hard for me to get demanding unless I'm really really mad. Then I might also start crying which is not because I'm sad but because I'm too mad!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, the complaint was almost imperceptible inside all the positive feedback.

I'm curious now - what's a yellow vs green lesson?

I know you get more with honey than you do with vinegar but you start off and finish so nice so I don't think they got the severity of you and your guy's frustration. I'd approach them again, this time with some WTF in your voice.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I have to agree; this didn't feel like a complaint at all. You really need to call and express your displeasure in no uncertain terms, at the very least to prevent this from happening to someone else.

Lellandra

Certified Ski Diva
I will ask them again if they talked to that ski instructor.

I will call them on the phone if the answer is the same crap as before.

I know at my mountain we do our best to make the customer happy. One time we had an instance where 3 girls missed their lesson time by a few minutes. Not only did they makes sure they were put in the next class an hour later but the coordinator also had me ski with them for an hour and work on some basic stuff.

I would think if anything your mountain not only should talk to the instructor but they also should comp you a lesson.

Lellandra

Certified Ski Diva
After all this posts now I feel like an idiot for not speaking out more. I was just venting my frustrations and hoping to get some suggestions on the snowboarding request and what I could say to him.

Since I don't want to explain my weak complaint to the resort or feel even worse about it, can a moderator close the thread please?

We are all just protective over each other and hate when these mountains just reply back with a fluff piece when they should do more. Get back in touch with them and say if anything you'd like a free lesson to make up for things going awry with the other instructor.

You should have your guy take a snowboarding lesson. Like @elemmac said he could like it, ya never know. Maybe since he did have another positive ski lesson he'll want to try that again, maybe he'll want to do both. Its all about having fun!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna