• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Venting about ice!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Well, for anyone lamenting the ice.. don’t look ahead at the cycle continuing to set up a big thaw this week and then a hard freeze in New England yet again for next Saturday!
The New England forecast bites - we will be ice skating. WAAAHHHHHHH.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
The upcoming week is WHY I’m lamenting the ice, because it’s either that or nothing for us, so I guess it’s going to be THAT. ALSO WAAAAHHHHHH

MissySki

Angel Diva
The upcoming week is WHY I’m lamenting the ice, because it’s either that or nothing for us, so I guess it’s going to be THAT. ALSO WAAAAHHHHHH
At least it doesn’t seem like it’ll stay though. Sunday and Monday look quite warm for the holiday weekend. One day of solid and maybe 1.5-2 of spring skiing hopefully.. should be fun. Not that I want the warmth to keep cycling like this and ruin our snowpack.. I’d rather it be solid and keep the longevity of our season. After this past Saturday, yesterday we found some lovely soft snow in a lot of places as the day went on and warmed up. After Saturday’s practice on ice everything Sunday felt so much smoother.. with the exception of a run through some frozen solid bumps in an easy tree run with too much vegetation poking out everywhere. I hated that one. Lol I felt way more confident on the firmer groomers though, so that felt good. (I do have a longterm goal of being able to ski icy bumps well, so I might have a different perspective on it all than some. I saw someone skiing side bumps Saturday on a black trail that were complete ice, he flowed down like they were the most perfect bumps ever somehow?!?! I want to unlock that someday!!! Will I? Probably not in reality lol, but in my mind any skills on any ice have to be a step in the right direction and that keeps me motivated.)

It’s funny because I’m actually a pretty pessimistic person or realist in general. But with skiing I can pretty much find the bright side and/or fun somewhere on the mountain 99% of the days I’m out there. It’s my zen place, I’ll take it however I can get it without much complaint. I’m pretty sure the days I’ve felt the worst about my skiing have been big heavy powder days lol. Something to do with excited high expectations only to realize quickly each time that I do indeed still suck at it! Lol I stay out practicing in that too though. I’m apparently a glutton for punishment in the name of maybe someday being able to ski any condition/trail confidently. It’s such an addictive goal to me, but one I’m not sure is even achievable for me.

Last edited:

shadoj

Angel Diva
When there's ice on the slopes: there's also ice waiting to kill you elsewhere! Just outside the lodge, on the steps, on the "safety" railings, in the parking lot, hanging from the roof over the doorway in dagger form, preventing bindings from clicking in... Ice is an evil conspiracy with Gravity!

*screams into the icy void*
*screams about rain, too, because that's just baby ice*

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
At our home hillock, there’s a sewer grate on the way to/from the parking lot where - shockingly - all the water goes and freezes around the outside. It’s always an ice sheet for about 2 feet around there. One of my entertainments is watching people walk over it EVEN WHEN IT’S BROAD DAYLIGHT. And then slip and look startled as if it appeared out of nowhere. NGL - it’s a little scary when these are MY people or when they are people carrying skis. But my people are on their own, because LITERALLY EVERY TIME I remind them it’s there and they scoff at the reminder.

shadoj

Angel Diva
SO, after surviving an ice hill, ice stairs, then a parking lot ice skating rink...

The Drive Home!

Yes, more ICE! Yay!

Cars are not skis. Cars do not have edges. Cars do not handle well when making short radius turns across the fall line, despite what your ski instructors are telling you on the hill about your own steeps skiing!

* Fortunately this was not today's experience. But I do have to remind my brain that I am driving not skiing on the way home. Never fear, still no moving violations ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna