• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vail buys Okemo, Sunapee, Crested Butte & Stevens Pass

jfoxgrande

Certified Ski Diva
Wow! I retired last summer and spent this past season deciding on a new home base for skiing. It was difficult choosing since spending the most mountain time in Park City, feel like a resident there, but decided that with 8 grandchildren living in NJ, Vermont would be the best place to raise up the next generation of snow sports enthusiasts! After a long process purchased a home on Okemo mountain, cancelled the auto renew on Epic Pass and purchased Okemo Ultimate passes at the early April pricing. Speaking with Vail yesterday, was informed that once the sale is completed, we would have the opportunity to trade passes for the current Epic Pass Prices at the going rate at that time. So, there is a possibility of additional savings. Vail is good for real estate, but remaining hopefully optimistic that they will continue the spectacular trail maintenance and family vibe that was instrumental in choosing Okemo!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a weekday-only pass at Okemo for next year and I really hope that that continues to be available. I'm local to Okemo can't afford to travel to ski, so if the Epic Pass were the only available option, that would be a huge financial blow.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have a weekday-only pass at Okemo for next year and I really hope that that continues to be available. I'm local to Okemo can't afford to travel to ski, so if the Epic Pass were the only available option, that would be a huge financial blow.
How much was the Okemo weekday-only pass? Somewhere I read that Vail would honor all existing pass options for 2018-19.

The three midwest ski areas owned by Vail have different local pass options. So it's not one size fits all across Vail resorts.

marzNC

Angel Diva
When Ethan Mueller moved back to New Hampshire in 2016, he noted that his job as Pres. of Crested Butte and Sr. VP of Triple Peaks hadn't changed. Each resort has a GM responsible for day-to-day operations. Ethan went to work at CB in 2004 and was GM in 2011-14 before moving up to Pres. In the article I found, Ethan was asked about his parents thoughts on retirement. He is about 40 now and moved back east with his wife and three kids.

Mountain Times - July 2016
"All in the Family," Part II; Triple Peaks Ethan Mueller Moves East

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How much was the Okemo weekday-only pass? Somewhere I read that Vail would honor all existing pass options for 2018-19.

The three midwest ski areas owned by Vail have different local pass options. So it's not one size fits all across Vail resorts.

It was $279 and also includes Sunapee; I combined it with a $399 black-out pass at Magic for weekends and will get Killington's Nor'Beaster Pass in the spring for around $200. So I sort of created my own multi-resort pass for just under 1K that's tailored to my schedule, location, and preferences.

I can hear some of you saying "But Sally, what about your work schedule? When will you earn money?"

Listen, when I have a midlife crisis and quit my job to live in the mountains with little more than an elderly tabby cat and a bottle opener, I go all in. I'm arranging a semi-sabbatical year during which I minimize work hours and maximize biking/skiing time. A financial advisor would be apoplectic at the fiscal stupidity of it all, but lucky for me I can't afford a financial advisor.

I have adopted this bear as my spirit animal for the next eleven months:

Screenshot 2018-06-05 10.57.21.png

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SallyCat maybe you could work for Vail as a writer or preparer of employee training materials or ski instructor or all of the above? I say this only slightly tongue-in-cheek. Besides the money, the perks....

Thanks! I am indeed working on a writing portfolio and keeping my eyes peeled for interesting work. I think the sort of combo you describe would be fun!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It was $279 and also includes Sunapee; I combined it with a $399 black-out pass at Magic for weekends and will get Killington's Nor'Beaster Pass in the spring for around $200. So I sort of created my own multi-resort pass for just under 1K that's tailored to my schedule, location, and preferences.

I can hear some of you saying "But Sally, what about your work schedule? When will you earn money?"

Listen, when I have a midlife crisis and quit my job to live in the mountains with little more than an elderly tabby cat and a bottle opener, I go all in. I'm arranging a semi-sabbatical year during which I minimize work hours and maximize biking/skiing time. A financial advisor would be apoplectic at the fiscal stupidity of it all, but lucky for me I can't afford a financial advisor.

I have adopted this bear as my spirit animal for the next eleven months:

View attachment 9057
Didn't you buy the Skiesta deal? I know, with tax and insurance (which I buy in case I fall apart!) my Okemo mid-week pass was $424 - $22 of that is tax. So I think before bells/whistles and tax the April cost was more or less $379 (?).

newboots

Angel Diva
This is our new house! Not moved in yet, but I’m moving things gradually. Today is the third time I’ve spotted this fawn!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Didn't you buy the Skiesta deal? I know, with tax and insurance (which I buy in case I fall apart!) my Okemo mid-week pass was $424 - $22 of that is tax. So I think before bells/whistles and tax the April cost was more or less $379 (?).

Yes, the Skiesta deal knocked a hundred bucks off the price, so though it was originally $379, I got it for $279.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here are answers to Frequently Asked Questions for anyone who has an Okemo, Sunapee, Crested Butte, or Stevens Pass seasons pass:

https://www.epicpass.com/info/new-epic-resorts-faqs.aspx

That actually took some concentration reading all that! I’m sure they are going to be so swamped with questions and changes as time goes by. Somehow for the short term I’m relieved to still have my little Okemo pass and my IKON pass for this season. Maybe there will be time for things to shake out before I have to go through all this for 2019/2020!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly