• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vail Announces Season Pass Refunds, New Policy for 20-21 Season

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Vail FINALLY came through and announced its new season pass policy for the 20/21 season. Here's the letter that went out to pass holders:

Dear Pass Holders,

Thank you for your patience during this unprecedented time. We have been addressing the real-time challenges of COVID-19, focusing on the health and safety of our employees and communities. We have also been working on a comprehensive plan to address our pass holders’ concerns about this past season – and the future.

We have read all your emails and comments on social media. We have heard your two primary concerns: First, you are disappointed with last season’s closures. Second, you are worried about next season because of the current uncertainty.

To address these specific concerns, we are sharing a plan that I hope honors your loyalty and provides you with peace of mind about the future:

To Address Last Season:
Credits from 20% to 80% for Season Pass Holders
We are providing credits to 2019-20 season pass holders, based on the price of their pass, to apply toward the purchase of a 2020-21 season pass of equal or greater value:

A minimum credit of 20% for season pass holders, based on the resort closures in mid-March impacting about 20% of the core season
Higher credits for season pass holders who used their pass less than five days
A maximum credit of 80% if you did not use your season pass at all, because we recognize that some of you were waiting until spring to use your pass
Credits for Epic Day Pass, Whistler Blackcomb Edge Card and Multi-Pack Pass Holders
For guests with remaining days on their 2019-20 Epic Day Pass, Edge Card or one of our other multi-pack pass products, we are providing a credit for each unused day, up to 80% of the price paid for your pass to apply toward a pass of equal or greater value for next season.

Your credit will be valid through Labor Day (Sept. 7, 2020) because we understand that you may need time to decide on your plans for next season.
This may seem complicated, but something simple would not address all the unique situations of our pass holders. We will email you personally in the coming weeks to share your specific credit details and your promotion code, which you can use online starting May 13. If you renew your pass prior to receiving your promotion code, we will retroactively provide the credit value back to you. In the meantime, you can click here to use the tables to find your pass credit, see our FAQs, and review the terms and conditions.

Looking Ahead to the 2020-21 Season:
New ‘Epic Coverage’ Protects You Next Season
We are confident we will be enjoying a great upcoming ski and ride season, but we also understand that many pass holders are nervous about the future given the current uncertainty. With this in mind, we are launching ‘Epic Coverage’:

Epic Coverage is free for all pass holders and completely replaces the need to purchase pass insurance, which can cost up to $60 for other passes.
Epic Coverage provides for a refund if you have an eligible injury, job loss, or experience other personal events that prevent you from using your pass.
Epic Coverage also provides a refund for certain resort closures, including for events like COVID-19, giving you a refund for any portion of the season that is lost.
We understand that times have changed so Epic Coverage completely redefines your pass protection. We value your loyalty and we want you to enjoy your pass knowing that we are standing behind our commitment to your peace of mind. Click here to learn more about Epic Coverage, see our FAQs and review the terms and conditions.

Savings All Season Long
In March, we announced our new Epic Mountain Rewards, providing pass holders 20% off all mountain food & beverage, owned and operated lodging, group ski and ride lessons, equipment rentals and more at our North American resorts. No sign up. No points tracking. No blackout days. Just savings. Learn more about Epic Mountain Rewards here.

The Time You Need:
Spring Deadlines Extended to Labor Day
We do not want to rush your decision. We are eliminating our traditional spring purchase deadlines, giving you through Labor Day (Sept. 7, 2020) to use your credit and to lock in 10 Buddy Tickets for next season. If uncertainty continues, we may reassess that deadline again as it gets closer.

Lowest Up-Front Cost
If you want to lock in your pass, we want to provide you the lowest up-front cost during this challenging time. Right now the deposit for your pass for next season is only $49, significantly less than the deposit many other passes require. This offer will extend for the next few months.

My hope is that this plan demonstrates our commitment to honoring your loyalty, with credits of 20%-80% for last season, Epic Coverage for next season, and more time to make a decision. We recognize that some people may ask why we did not provide 100% credits or cash refunds for last season. We capped our credits at 80% because our mountains were open and operating for the majority of the season and our passes could be used during that time. Regarding refunds, we recognize that our passes, and pass insurance, historically have not provided for refunds in situations like this, which is why we are introducing the new Epic Coverage.

Thank you for your loyalty. I am confident that our collective passion for the mountains will prevail and we will get through this together. I hope to see you on the mountain next season. And most importantly, I hope you and your loved ones are healthy and safe.

Thank you,

Kirsten Lynch

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Honestly, I'm glad they took their time to figure this out. Reading through the coverage policy, it seems pretty comprehensive and should cover most use cases I can think of. And the discount is very reasonable; a minimum of 20% for "well, the season did get called early" up to a maximum of 80% for "you definitely had the chance to get out there".

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
On another note, this is great by Vail, curious if Alterra is going to up their side now..

Going to have an Eeyore moment now - remember when the exciting competition between Vail and Alterra consisted of “which cool ski area will pass holders have access to next?!”

~Whomp whomp~

MissySki

Angel Diva
Seriously!

Between their passes being hundreds of dollars more than the other big players, and them not communicating anything yet; I'd be lying if I said I wasn't getting a bit frustrated with them...

I assume info is coming extremely soon since the current deadline is in what, 3 days? Pretty ridiculous that it’s taken this long imo though. However, now they have a lot of information on the table from others, so I really hope they have scenarios ready to react in an appropriate manner. Hard not to have a big response in light of everyone else’s at this point..

elemmac

Angel Diva
I assume info is coming extremely soon since the current deadline is in what, 3 days? Pretty ridiculous that it’s taken this long imo though. However, now they have a lot of information on the table from others, so I really hope they have scenarios ready to react in an appropriate manner. Hard not to have a big response in light of everyone else’s at this point..

They've extended "into June"...I just posted here:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/thoughts-on-buying-a-season-pass.24871/page-3

marzNC

Angel Diva
There is a graphic for the discount levels for people who had an Epic pass for 2019-20. I guess the 0-1 discount might apply to someone who bought an Epic Local for a spring break trip that never happened. Can't think of another reason not to have used it at all before March 14 when it had to be bought before Dec. 2, 2019.

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 11.11.43 AM.jpg

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I know of two people (used their passes less than 5 days) who were planning on skiing last two weeks of March on Epic Local. Not related to spring break at all but preference for skiing in March (no snow in Tahoe for 6 weeks prior to March 14). I was planning on skiing March 14-31 as well as several April days.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I know of two people (used their passes less than 5 days) who were planning on skiing last two weeks of March on Epic Local. Not related to spring break at all but preference for skiing in March (no snow in Tahoe for 6 weeks prior to March 14). I was planning on skiing March 14-31 as well as several April days.
That makes sense for folks in California for Tahoe. What I was thinking about are people who fly to Colorado from the midwest or east coast for a 1-week ski vacation. Trying to think why someone would get to mid-March without using Epic Local at all.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Now that it looks like there will be a ski season in Australia, VR has posted the first announcement about the 2020 Epic Australia Pass.

https://www.epicaustraliapass.com.au/epic-australia-now/86-2020-eap-update
". . .
We previously informed you that, if you have the final payment remaining for your Epic Australia Pass, we would delay it until 1 June. While we do not know exactly how the season will play out, with 1 June only a few weeks away, we do believe that there will be some impact to the season from COVID-19. As a result, we wanted to share an update on our plans following the guidance provided by the National Cabinet’s three-step plan to a COVIDSafe Australia:

• We will not take the final payment for your 2020 Epic Australia Pass on 1 June.
  • By 15 June, we will share more information about the season ahead as well as new pass options that will address the expected COVID-19 impacts on our season.
Once we have shared more information, you will have the option to request a refund of all payments made towards your 2020 Epic Australia Pass and Pass Refund Protection or move forward with a new pass product. If you decide to purchase a pass, the final payment date will also be announced on 15 June, after you have had the opportunity to consider your options.
. . ."

marzNC

Angel Diva
For some insight into the decision process that led to the discounts based on number of days someone used a 2019-20 Epic Pass, listen to Part 3 of a recent Epic By Nature podcast. The topic of how to deal with a shortened season starts around Minute 3. Note that only CEO Rob Katz is on this special 3-part series.

Part 1 of "No Playbook. Navigating Through COVID-19" covers the decision process that led to VR shutting down all resorts in N. America on March 14. Part 2 seems more for VR staff than customers.

https://soundcloud.com/epicbynature%2Fno-playbook-navigating-through-covid-19-part-3-the-future

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got what I considered a surprise email from Vail resorts today---I'm not a passholder. I bought a one day pass/ticket this season and used it. That is the only day I skied a Vail resort this winter and I only purchased the one day. Well, today they sent me an email letting me know what my credit was for next season---$89. From reading their release/listening to the above podcast I cannot understand why I'm getting a credit. I was under the impression that for day passes you just got back a percent or amount of unused time. But I used mine! Can't figure out why they are giving me a credit for a so called unused day.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got what I considered a surprise email from Vail resorts today---I'm not a passholder. I bought a one day pass/ticket this season and used it. That is the only day I skied a Vail resort this winter and I only purchased the one day. Well, today they sent me an email letting me know what my credit was for next season---$89. From reading their release/listening to the above podcast I cannot understand why I'm getting a credit. I was under the impression that for day passes you just got back a percent or amount of unused time. But I used mine! Can't figure out why they are giving me a credit for a so called unused day.

Wow! But take it!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva

It’s under their “turn in your ticket” program. Basically if you ski at all during the season you can trade the value of 1 day ticket for credit towards a season pass. It’s not a bad idea!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna