• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vaccines and Ski Plans

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know about that: in Vermont, they're opening up vaccinations to ages 75+ on January 25. The next group will be 70+. The group after THAT will be 65+. And so on. So it looks like it'll be a while before I get my vaccine.

Pretty much the same in Rhode Island. I suppose that means I don’t have to worry about rushing back to get a shot!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
What does the “more generously” piece mean I wonder? Isn’t there only so much available at this time, while also making sure that there is enough at the necessary intervals for second doses? I didn’t think we were yet in a place where large scale was a go because of the limited supply currently.
The current administration was holding back doses to be able to fulfill the 2nd shot requirements. The new administration's transition team announced they would not be holding those back and would distribute them so more could receive the 1st dose, and then they would enact the Defense Production Act if needed to increase production for 2nd doses. It is a risk, but they feel confident production will be able to keep up by the time the additional doses are needed. The current administration reconsidered and is now planning to release the saved doses immediately.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I don't know about that: in Vermont, they're opening up vaccinations to ages 75+ on January 25. The next group will be 70+. The group after THAT will be 65+. And so on. So it looks like it'll be a while before I get my vaccine.
Oh well then CA not so bad b/c they're lumping all 64-75 in the same category.

Jenny

Angel Diva
The current administration was holding back doses to be able to fulfill the 2nd shot requirements. The new administration's transition team announced they would not be holding those back and would distribute them so more could receive the 1st dose, and then they would enact the Defense Production Act if needed to increase production for 2nd doses. It is a risk, but they feel confident production will be able to keep up by the time the additional doses are needed. The current administration reconsidered and is now planning to release the saved doses immediately.
Except that apparently there weren’t any actually in reserve.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I find it troubling that people in public-facing essential occupations (grocery stores, e.g.) in VT don't seem to be on the list at all.

Jilly

Staff member
Things are just as bad north of the 49th. Vaccines are still being given to LTC homes and staff only. They announced that the City of Ottawa had finished doing all their LTC homes. Yet locally 2 1/2 hrs away....nothing. We have the freezer, that I know. And now Pfizer is saying that we (Canada) will only get 1/2 our order next month.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yeah, just saw that. A lot changes in a few days.

So what does that mean?? There isn’t actually anything to hand out more, and there are no hold backs for second doses either?

I know the UK has been doing it that way, but I thought the CDC recommendation was to ensure you had the second doses. Wasn’t aware it was an administration based thing. I think it makes sense to ensure the second doses are available at the appropriate intervals as they were used in clinical trials.. That’s what we have efficacy data for, if you stray from that piece you won’t know how effective your dosing is. I assume by the time it ever gets to me it’ll be beyond a moot point though haha.

MissySki

Angel Diva
It looks as though Gillette Stadium (Massachusett) will start a mass vaccination site tomorrow for first responders and some seniors. Aiming for 5000 per day. Saw that on WHDH @MissySki.

Yeah, I think they had a soft opening at the end of last week. They will be starting at ~300 per day but the target is to ramp up to 5,000 per day. Not sure ehen they expect to get to the high end, but in general they are saying we are on track to enter phase 2 as planned in February.

newboots

Angel Diva
The state-run large sites in New York are either already filled, or more likely not scheduling because the additional doses from the empty “stockpile” didn’t materialize. Indeed, this week NY received only 250,000 doses instead of the usual 300,000.

The pharmacies all were taken off the list. No explanation.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I find it troubling that people in public-facing essential occupations (grocery stores, e.g.) in VT don't seem to be on the list at all.

Looks like NH is the same. They original draft had "critical workers" as part of Phase 2, but more recent drafts looks like they "simplified" it. Now, health care workers (and emergency personnel), long term housing staff, correctional officers and teachers seem to be the only critical workers in NH.

Found this source that compares all states roll-out plans and compares them to CDC guidelines. Thought it was kind of interesting to see the differences and how states have strayed from recommendations.

Tvan

Angel Diva
@elemmac - helpful link. Thanks for sharing.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I don't find this particularly surprising at all. I sorta assumed that lower paying/min. wage jobs would largely get forgotten about when it comes to vaccines. I am lucky in that PA has specifically included grocery workers in Phase 1B; the state is still currently in Phase 1A so I can't get the vaccine just yet.

ddskis

Certified Ski Diva
Thoughts after my second shot yesterday:
Def would NOT want to be skiing today. I think my arm is more sore this time. Had some complicated dreams overnight about my prior wrist fracture/casting and clavicle surgery so I know it was hurting. Couldn’t sleep on that side and woke up to groan audibly a few times. Glad I chose non dominant side for shot!

Super tired, stiff, sore throat. Did my stretches and some of my arm stuff def not fun. Trying to make myself go for a walk at least but just wanna take nap. Feeling super cold; no fever, but have heat cranked.

Participating in the CDC V-safe to report daily status/symptoms makes me happy that somebody is soliciting my whining and adding to data.

Getting info out re side effects is crucial. Everybody is unique in their response and some folks are gonna feel bad. This should be known and education is critical.

Hoping vaccine rollout accelerates rapidly and smoothly; crossing fingers for us all in this hopeful yet tenuous time!

MissySki

Angel Diva
People are in somewhat of an uproar in MA because being a "smoker" has been elevated to the list of co morbid conditions that will come up at the end of phase 2 versus the general population in phase 3. I'm not sure how I feel about this, but I guess overall a little annoyed by it truth be told.. Thoughts?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
People are in somewhat of an uproar in MA because being a "smoker" has been elevated to the list of co morbid conditions that will come up at the end of phase 2 versus the general population in phase 3. I'm not sure how I feel about this, but I guess overall a little annoyed by it truth be told.. Thoughts?

Do you mean that smokers will rank higher in terms of vaccine priority?

If so I don't think that's a worthwhile thing to spend time considering. Everyone needs the vaccine; that we have to triage recipients due to a limited supply is a painful reality. Many Americans have been quick to throw the elderly and anyone with a health condition under the bus this past year as a way to justify limiting inconvenient public safety restrictions. I'm exhausted by the relentless ill will.

Let's just default to compassion.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Do you mean that smokers will rank higher in terms of vaccine priority?

If so I don't think that's a worthwhile thing to spend time considering. Everyone needs the vaccine; that we have to triage recipients due to a limited supply is a painful reality. Many Americans have been quick to throw the elderly and anyone with a health condition under the bus this past year as a way to justify limiting inconvenient public safety restrictions. I'm exhausted by the relentless ill will.

Let's just default to compassion.

Yes, that is correct. I get the sentiment that everyone needs it and there is limited supply of course. I can also see why people who are anxiously awaiting their turn would be upset that those choosing to inhale cancer sticks get priority ahead of them though. :noidea:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, that is correct. I get the sentiment that everyone needs it and there is limited supply of course. I can also see why people who are anxiously awaiting their turn would be upset that those choosing to inhale cancer sticks get priority ahead of them though. :noidea:

Smoking causes respiratory compromise, and this is a virus that attacks the respiratory system. Smokers are more vulnerable to the virus than non-smokers. Full. Stop.

Anyone allowing themselves to be upset by that is pretending to a moral authority they don't possess and sitting at the top of a very slippery slope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly