• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vaccines and Ski Plans

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Divas, I had the second round of the Pfizer shot today and I just want to mention a word of caution: You probably want to clear your schedule for a day or two following the booster shot, and I would definitely not pay for lift tickets during that time because you may not use them.

Disclaimer: I have no regrets about getting the vaccine, and I understand that the side effects are the result of a very effective little army of COVID-fighters that it deployed into my system.

But Holy Mary Mother of Dog, I don't recall ever feeling this sick, and I once performed a truly award-winning "Flu-into-Pneumonia" maneuver.

In the grand scheme, it's just a low-grade fever, chills, and severe body aches, and after letting it run its course for a while, I have lobbed some Tylenol at my highly-motivated immune system and feel a little better now. But throughout the evening I kept getting these short, sharp bursts of stabbing pain, like powerful lightening strikes in random body parts. I would jerk in pain, the cat leaping off the bed, and think "GOOD GOD, UNIVERSE: WHY THE STABBING!? CAN'T YOU SEE I'M ALREADY SHAKING AND WHIMPERING!!?

So you know, just a word to the wise.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh wow, thanks for sharing! Glad you are feeling better now!
My husband had his 2nd shot on Wednesday and had absolutely no reactions or side effects, other than the sore arm like he had after the first shot. He got Pfizer too.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Good post. A lot of our friends are reporting a similar reaction. Dr Pugs cleared his schedule for the day after his second dose in anticipation of the same.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, thanks for the head's up. I am definitely going to get the vaccine whenever I'm allowed, but this is good to know. Have you had reactions to vaccines before? I mean, other than a sore arm, I've never had an issue. So this is interesting.

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
This is what I’ve heard from others as well. Seems very hit or miss, so good to be prepared either way. I don’t expect my availability to come until very late in or after ski season so likely no issue on that piece haha. Will take it whenever I can though.

I think it’s so valuable for people to hear this stuff from someone they know versus just random news articles. Many seem surprised to hear there can be quite a severe negative reaction after shot 2, but we’ve been told this for awhile stemming out of the clinical trials. It sinks in more when someone closer to you reports their experiences. So I really appreciate everyone who is sharing this publicly so people are prepared.

newboots

Angel Diva
I was in bed most of the day after Shingrix #2, but not as bad as what you're describing. Covid is a much bigger problem than shingles, so I would say it's worth it. I mean, of course it's worth it! Life or death, after all.

@SallyCat it sounds like your immune system is up to the job! I'll bet anything you're one of the 95% who will be immune and probably stay immune for some time! There, how's that for consolation?

Hope it's far, far better today!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But Holy Mary Mother of Dog, I don't recall ever feeling this sick, and I once performed a truly award-winning "Flu-into-Pneumonia" maneuver.

In the grand scheme, it's just a low-grade fever, chills, and severe body aches, and after letting it run its course for a while, I have lobbed some Tylenol at my highly-motivated immune system and feel a little better now. But throughout the evening I kept getting these short, sharp bursts of stabbing pain, like powerful lightening strikes in random body parts.

@SallyCat sorry you are having this reaction and I hope you feel better soon!
What you describe seems to be a “condensed” version of day 5/6/7 of having the virus. Intense headache, chills, and whole body pain - which I can only describe as so intense that I had to curl up into a ball for hours. However randomly the pain would stop for a period of time only to return 10-15 mins later. So odd. The elephant sitting on your chest feeling is the only other symptom you didn’t list..... sounds like your body is ramping up its immunity in response!

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great advice! I got my 2nd dose today as well and so far no side effects other than a sore arm. Hoping it stays that way! *fingers crossed*

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Our area just announced the possibility of vaccinations over the age of 65. I'm not sure if this is only for high risk patients but I will be looking into it. I was thinking that we shouldn't plan to ski for several days after getting the shot.

It sounds like only the second shot was a problem. Has anyone had an adverse reaction to the first shot?

Glad you're feeling better @SallyCat and thanks so much for the update.

newboots

Angel Diva
The 65+ option was announced by the President. In NY, the Governor added all of us 65+ to the many who were still awaiting vaccination. I am expecting a complete zoo.

My son-in-law, a teacher, became eligible last week. He became adept at cruising all of the vaccine sites for an open appointment, and got his first shot today. Feeling fine so far. He is going to pass along some of his tricks, so I can get an appointment, too. Apparently trying to find an open appointment is a full-time job.

Soujan

Angel Diva
I'm a first responder in NYC so myself and eight others from my unit received the first dose of the Moderna vaccine on Monday. The chief complaint was a very sore arm. I have not been able to sleep on that arm for the last two nights and it was painful enough that it would wake me up if I rolled over on it. One person had chills during the first night. One person's arm hurt so bad, he couldn't sleep at all.

I'm hoping to find my mother an appointment soon. I have a friend that owns an urgent care clinic. He said most places that can administer the vaccine have yet to receive their doses so at this point there aren't even any appointments to be had.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband had his 2nd Pfizer shot a few days ago. He complained about feeling tired shortly after the shot and his arm did not start getting sore until a few hours later. He went to bed with no other symtoms that night but woke up with full bodyaches and nauseousness. That continued throughout the day and he started having chills 24 hours after the shot. He described it as feeling like he was coming down with the flu. It was a terrible day 2 for him. But he woke up on day 3 feeling completely normal.
I am going to get my first dose next week.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My son-in-law, a teacher, became eligible last week. He became adept at cruising all of the vaccine sites for an open appointment, and got his first shot today. Feeling fine so far. He is going to pass along some of his tricks, so I can get an appointment, too. Apparently trying to find an open appointment is a full-time job.

I know that our county's emergency management team has been working on the logistics of large-scale vaccine distribution very intensely in the last week, so hopefully that is something that's happening behind the scenes nationwide. We (first responders) are being trained on administering the shots, and large spaces such as rec centers and the like are being designated as distribution centers.

Hopefully that means the process for the general public will become much more clear and streamlined in the very near future.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I know that our county's emergency management team has been working on the logistics of large-scale vaccine distribution very intensely in the last week, so hopefully that is something that's happening behind the scenes nationwide. We (first responders) are being trained on administering the shots, and large spaces such as rec centers and the like are being designated as distribution centers.

Hopefully that means the process for the general public will become much more clear and streamlined in the very near future.

When we get into larger distribution centers, is the process expected to involve an observation period in the case of a severe reaction occurring after dosing? Is that happening now in general? I know they are prepping to start using Gillette Stadium as a spot for vaccination and they expect to start "I think" at a capacity of 300-500 per day and ramp up somewhere between 3000-5000 per day. Not sure how long they expect it to take for this ramp up to occur, but that sounds like a massive undertaking if in fact observation time is to be included in that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly