• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vaccines and Ski Plans

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When we get into larger distribution centers, is the process expected to involve an observation period in the case of a severe reaction occurring after dosing? Is that happening now in general?

Yes, there is a waiting period of 15-30 minutes after receiving the shot. I believe that is specifically to watch for an anaphylactic reaction.

As for the other side effects, if employers are arranging the vaccinations they'd want to stagger the dates of administration so as not to have their whole staff out the next day.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I know that our county's emergency management team has been working on the logistics of large-scale vaccine distribution very intensely in the last week, so hopefully that is something that's happening behind the scenes nationwide. We (first responders) are being trained on administering the shots, and large spaces such as rec centers and the like are being designated as distribution centers.

Hopefully that means the process for the general public will become much more clear and streamlined in the very near future.

Since I live in the same county as you, @SallyCat, this is really good to hear.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My family in medical positions (and even my ski patrol nephew) have had their first shots and some on their seconds. Most I've heard is the sore arm complaint.

I got the senior flu shot last fall and wow, it kicked me and I've had rabies series and all sorts of vaccines, but I was in bed with aches, low grade fever, and malaise. Can't wait for COVID vac---but an immune response, no matter how uncomfortable, is a good sign I think.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When we get into larger distribution centers, is the process expected to involve an observation period in the case of a severe reaction occurring after dosing? Is that happening now in general?

Yes. 15 minutes post-vaccine observation is part of the process. My NP SIL is volunteering for the observation component of the large vaccine clinics just opening in Utah this next week.

newboots

Angel Diva
I just heard on the news that the Biden team plans to provide a lot of funding for both mobile and large-scale vaccination sites, and to coordinate the release of the available vaccines more generously.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I just heard on the news that the Biden team plans to provide a lot of funding for both mobile and large-scale vaccination sites, and to coordinate the release of the available vaccines more generously.

What does the “more generously” piece mean I wonder? Isn’t there only so much available at this time, while also making sure that there is enough at the necessary intervals for second doses? I didn’t think we were yet in a place where large scale was a go because of the limited supply currently.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What does the “more generously” piece mean I wonder? Isn’t there only so much available at this time, while also making sure that there is enough at the necessary intervals for second doses? I didn’t think we were yet in a place where large scale was a go because of the limited supply currently.

The supplies are opening up, but you still have to staff the venues and pay nurses to administer the shots, and healthcare workers are already stretched thin. At least with the Pfizer version, it's not a simple draw; the vaccine has to be mixed with saline at a certain ratio, and that means that you need higher-level providers to administer it. Plus the funding needed for the other logistical facets such as shipping, storage, venues, tracking, etc. I take "coordinate more generously" to mean "provide adequate funding and logistical resources to make it possible to carry out on a large scale."

Last edited:

Jenny

Angel Diva
I was hearing on NPR just recently that the manufacturing isn’t the problem, so apparently there’s less worry that there won’t be enough for the second doses needed.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
CA is the slowest state to roll out the vaccines. But they're on the horizon and hoping I'll be getting the first one in a few weeks.... Tomorrow Sutter Health is rolling them out to 75 +...... Next up 64-75 woo hoo. It's good to be old !

Emski528

Angel Diva
Moderna feedback.. shot one I had mild arm pain. Less than the flu shot. I did have two rough, short periods of nausea where I thought I’d actually be sick. One the day of and one the next evening. Second is scheduled for 2/3. 15 coworkers received on the same day. Two had very severe “can’t sleep” arm pain. Only a few others with mild pain. Overall, it was a great experience for me and my staff. It has been a long 10 months at the office and we feel so lucky to have finished our first round.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure if it applies to other states but in NM, plenty of people were able to walk into vaccine sites to get their shots without an appointment. Many people do not show up to their appointments and these sites have to use the vaccine or throw them away. A few of my younger friends with no health issues got it this way. Some called around walgreens/other pharmacies to ask if there are any leftovers and got it that way too. I don’t see this as jumping in line since they’d have to throw away leftovers if not used immediately.

yogiskier

Angel Diva
@MissySki and others in MA - according to my weekly Friday WBUR Coronavirus Email: There is some paperwork involved and a 15-minute window for observation to make sure you don't have an allergic reaction or some other adverse event after you get your dose, 30 minutes if you have a history of severe allergic reactions. Gillette had there 'soft opening' today and will be up and running for first responders on Monday.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki and others in MA - according to my weekly Friday WBUR Coronavirus Email: There is some paperwork involved and a 15-minute window for observation to make sure you don't have an allergic reaction or some other adverse event after you get your dose, 30 minutes if you have a history of severe allergic reactions. Gillette had there 'soft opening' today and will be up and running for first responders on Monday.

Thanks for sharing this, it’s good to hear! Wish I could get mine anytime soon! :becky:

Christy

Angel Diva
Can people take Tylenol and/or ibuprofen for the pain? ( Or even something stronger, if you happen to have something around?) Or, are you not supposed to?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Can people take Tylenol and/or ibuprofen for the pain? ( Or even something stronger, if you happen to have something around?) Or, are you not supposed to?
Heard something on the news about not taking Tylenol or Ibuprofen...

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
CA is the slowest state to roll out the vaccines. But they're on the horizon and hoping I'll be getting the first one in a few weeks.... Tomorrow Sutter Health is rolling them out to 75 +...... Next up 64-75 woo hoo. It's good to be old !

I don't know about that: in Vermont, they're opening up vaccinations to ages 75+ on January 25. The next group will be 70+. The group after THAT will be 65+. And so on. So it looks like it'll be a while before I get my vaccine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna