• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Völkl Yumi ski length based on height or weight?

Völkl Yumi based on my tall height (5'9") but low weight (115lbs)?

• 154 cm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 161 cm

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

Katie406

Diva in Training
Hey ladies!

I'm wondering if anyone might be able to help sort out a gear question. I demoed the 2018 Völkl Yumi skis and fell in love. However I'm trying to determine if I should purchase the 154cm length or the 161cm length. Before you jump to conclusions and say to base the length of my skis on my height, hear me out. I'm 5'9" and 115 lbs. In other words I'm much, much lighter than most folks my height and what I've discovered is that when I go off the ski length calculators that are based on height, I often don't have the weight required to carve with the camber of a longer ski matching the recommendation of the height calculators. As such I tend to gravitate towards shorter skis. When doing research online the length suggestions for height versus weight don't align because I am so thin.

For example, the height calculators tell me I should purchase skis that are 175 cm. But if I go off of a chart based on weight they say to purchase skis that are 145 cm. That's quite the difference and hence the confusion.

My center of gravity is a bit higher due to my height so I don't want a ski that is too short so as to lack stability. I'm not an aggressive skier and like a short turn radius. Loved the Völkl Yumis and they seemed to have a soft enough flex to them for me to be able to bite into the snow and carve quite nicely but I was only able to demo the 154 cm length. Let me back up here, I LOVED these skis. But is 154cm too short even given my lower weight? I could move one size up and buy the 161 cm length but am worried the camber with the added length could make it more difficult to carve.

Would love any suggestions! Thanks so much.

Jilly

Staff member
If you found the 154 too short, then certainly the 161. It's not even 3". That shouldn't be that much stiffer.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Yumi is pretty soft. You'll regret going with the 154, I'd guess.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Given your height, I'd definitely go with the 161. I'm 5'1" and 105 lbs and ski the 147. Even at 161, the ski is going to be much shorter for you proportionally than mine are for me.

Keepur

Certified Ski Diva
I will agree with everyone above and recommend the 161. I am a little shorter than you, 5'7" and about 110 lbs. I tried the Yumi back in December at the beginning of my season and was on the 154. I have not tried the 161 but I would guess it would be the better option. :smile:

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Question... Why are you all suggesting the 161 when she only tried the 154 and loved it? Would the new length potential change the feel and the thing she loved about the ski?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Question... Why are you all suggesting the 161 when she only tried the 154 and loved it? Would the new length potential change the feel and the thing she loved about the ski?
The recommendations are a best guess based on the OP's interest in stability. A ski that is too short can get unstable at slightly higher speeds.

For another data point, I liked the Yumi @147cm and I'm 5'0" and 112 pounds.

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks @marzNC. I'm not saying anyone is wrong, just trying to get a better understanding of this length thing. @Katie406 didn't mention that the ski was unstable but that:

My center of gravity is a bit higher due to my height so I don't want a ski that is too short so as to lack stability. I'm not an aggressive skier and like a short turn radius.

Also she only weighs 3 pounds more than you but is being suggested a ski 2 steps up in length. Does height really always matter more?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks @marzNC. I'm not saying anyone is wrong, just trying to get a better understanding of this length thing.

Also she only weighs 3 pounds more than you but is being suggested a ski 2 steps up in length. Does height really always matter more?
Choosing the most fun ski for a given skier is an art, not a science. There are lots of variables. Height and weight, and ability level are a starting point. I've read plenty of discussions where some people are sure that height is more important than weight and vice-versa. Often there isn't a clear advantage between two sizes. If a demo is not possible before a purchase, it's a best guess and either choice is likely to work when there is experience on that ski.

Note that a difference of 10cm is about 3 inches. That's not really that much compared to the overall length of skis for adults. The design differences are more important between different models. I know of many cases where someone bought relatively short skis for their first purchase and then jumped 10cm for the next pair of skis. Mentally seems like a lot, but the adjustment usually only takes a few runs.

Does that help?

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, it helps. Maybe because I'm at a stage where I felt a difference in 5 cm, the whole thing has me flummoxed.

Choosing the most fun ski for a given skier is an art, not a science.

Ah here's the problem! Art:rolleyes:, I need hard fast rules:smile:

mustski

Angel Diva
It's also a function of which ski. Some skis are softer than others and therefore easier for lighter weight women to flex. With those types of skis, greater length gives greater stability at speed. Some skis have more tip/tail rocker and therefore less actual edge on the snow. When that is the case, it is best to go a little longer. It's not a function of weight or height. It's a combination of the two.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Ah here's the problem! Art:rolleyes:, I need hard fast rules:smile:

Just think of them as variables in a math equation, each one will effect the other to give you the results you want.

x + y + z = ski you like for abc conditions

Where x is the length, y is the stiffness, z is a buffer (could be the flex pattern, ski shape, etc). Figuring out what “ski you like” is a process of trial and error (hence demoing is a thing).

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
161. You'll love it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly