• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Utah LCC/BCC 2020-21 conditions, parking - Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton

marzNC

Angel Diva
For the first time, I skied at Alta in December. This fall, along with paying attention to snow forecasts, I was also trying to understand the Snowbird parking access reservation system as well as Alta's approach of not using any reservations. From what I can tell, people are getting used to how things work. Definitely requires planning in advance more than usual.

The one place that hasn't had to change much in terms of limiting capacity is Powder Mountain. They have been limiting season passes and day tickets for several years since the current owners took over.

For those who haven't skied in Utah, some terminology:

LCC - Little Cottonwood Canyon, Alta at the end of the road, Snowbird a mile closer to SLC
BCC - Big Cottonwood Canyon, Brighton at the end of the road, Solitude a couple miles closer to SLC

UTA- Utah Transit Authority for ski bus that runs to LCC and BCC
UTA TRAX - light rail around SLC, has stop at airport
Parley's Canyon - where Park City and Deer Valley are located
Ogden Valley - where Snowbasin and Powder Mountain are located, about 1.5 hrs north of the SLC airport

Last season's thread:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...itions-alta-snowbird-solitude-brighton.24318/

UTDOT has several Twitter accounts related to the LCC/BCC canyons roads as well as the general UTDOT traffic map. There are links for traffic and weather on the resort websites. Definitely pays to check one way or another before driving up in the morning or heading down in the afternoon.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Alta website has a webpage about parking and road conditions for RT210. Includes the main UDOT traffic cameras. There are electronic signs at the base of LCC showing status.

https://cottonwoodcanyons.udot.utah.gov/canyon-road-information/

Once the Alta parking lots and roadside parking areas are full, uphill drivers will be stopped and have to talk to a traffic monitor in order to be allowed to continue on. Exceptions include employees, someone doing a pick up only, or other reasons where it's clear the person is not going to park. The UDOT FAQ about road closures and restricting uphill traffic is pretty thorough. It covers both LCC and BCC.

https://cottonwoodcanyons.udot.utah.gov/road-closures-uphill-restrictions/

#Alta Alerts is a Twitter account specifically about Alta parking status. Also used when lifts go on hold for wind or thunder/lightening.

UDOT has been managing traffic for LCC and BCC for decades. So what's happening for 2020-21 is not that much different. The enhancement of better communication via social media when parking lots are full has been evolving in recent years. Might even be a little easier this winter since Snowbird is using parking reservations and all the ski areas/resorts are limiting capacity by not selling as many day tickets.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've never paid attention to Alta during the Dec holiday weeks. Today Albion was running, so Alta had 6 lifts going. Having Albion and Sunnyside running certainly helps get people who are parked on the Albion side to get to Supreme or Sugarloaf.

Parking filled up around 9:45. The tweet that a few spaces had opened up came around 12:15.

Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 5.27.32 PM.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Albion is running for the holidays. I've never been at Alta when both Albion and Sunnyside were running. Certainly can help get people up to Supreme and Sugarloaf from the Albion base.

Patsy Marley (green) has been groomed. It was gated as a Black ungroomed trail the week of Dec. 12-18 when I was skiing Alta. Same for upper Main Street on the Collins side that is normally one of the steeper blue groomers.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Supreme was closed on Jan. 4 and 5 for "trail maintenance." Haven't paid attention to Alta in January so this may be normal until the base for the blue groomers is built up enough.

In general snow levels for Utah are running behind the average for early January.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Jan. 23 was the first powder day in a month at Alta. Also happened to be a Saturday. The Wildcat parking lot was full by 7:30am. All parking was full soon afterwards.

The snow total on OpenSnow was 16 inches.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Folks around LCC must be feeling better. Got an email from Alta noting that there's been over 3 feet of snow in the last 7 days. :snow:

lucy

Angel Diva
Folks around LCC must be feeling better. Got an email from Alta noting that there's been over 3 feet of snow in the last 7 days. :snow:
It was wet, heavy snow and we all got worked over. Burning quads!!! I think it’s called “cement” in the PNW.

Scribble

Angel Diva
I took the day off to ski at Alta tomorrow, I'm hoping that the snow in the forecast doesn't make the drive up difficult. Every time I take days off to ski LCC midweek, something comes up that keeps me from getting there! Last year, it was that crazy interlodged snowmageddon, work stuff, etc., then the resort closures. I live 25 minutes away but might as well be in Timbuktu. Knock on wood, I'm looking forward to an uneventful day. :smile:

Christy

Angel Diva
I took the day off to ski at Alta tomorrow, I'm hoping that the snow in the forecast doesn't make the drive up difficult. Every time I take days off to ski LCC midweek, something comes up that keeps me from getting there! Last year, it was that crazy interlodged snowmageddon, work stuff, etc., then the resort closures. I live 25 minutes away but might as well be in Timbuktu. Knock on wood, I'm looking forward to an uneventful day. :smile:

I can relate! I have stopped skiing weekends, but have to make sure I can forego a workday before committing to ski, then conditions have to be decent, but not so great it will be a madhouse with full parking or closed roads or lifts will be on hold...

alison wong

Angel Diva
Alta Peruvian lodge is offering 30% off for Healthcare professionals with proof of I.D.
Worth checking it out if you are one and call to verify before booking. Don't know how long this promotion will last.
Screenshot_20210213-072713_Chrome.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
For any sort of late season stay at a lodge at Alta, probably worth calling to say what kind of deals are being offered. Usually have deals in April. This season I can imagine there will be deals in March as well.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Doesn't happen that often, but LCC remained closed all day with Interlodge in effect for Alta and Snowbird. People who left Pres. Day or Sunday must be having mixed feelings.

Feb. 16, Snowbrains
Little Cottonwood Canyon, UT Never Opened Today Due to “Extreme Avalanche Danger” + Alta & Snowbird Placed Under “Interlodge”
https://snowbrains.com/little-cotto...danger-alta-snowbird-placed-under-interlodge/
" . . .
Extreme avalanche danger and snowfall rates up to 2″ per hour kept the road into Little Cottonwood Canyon (Hwy 210) closed all day today and kept both Alta & Snowbird under “Maximum Security Interlodge” all day today.

Interlodge is where no one in the Alta nor Snowbird areas is allowed to go outside due to the very high risk of avalanches.

Interlodge is rare, usually only happening once or twice per season.

Last season it only happened once, but for 54-hours.

Alta just saw 26″ of new snow in 24-hours.
. . ."

marzNC

Angel Diva
Interlodge for the Alta, meaning the town, was lifted mid-morning. Saw a note that it's not time yet to request to start shoveling. The canyon road is still completely closed to any cars. From the Twitter posts, sounds like multiple slides that have to be cleared. Pretty wild pictures have been posted by UTDOT. Very hard to say how long the closure is going to last.

Twitter @AltaCentral
02/18 10:45 AM Town of Alta Interlodge lifted. Foot traffic only, highway 210 not open, NO cars allowed on road.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Alta quietly ran only the Collins and Wildcat lifts today. So those people staying in the lodges or stuck during the 60-hour Interlodge could make some powder turns. There are a few pics on the Alta FB Page.

The LCC road opened for public downhill traffic mid-afternoon. Only UTA buses were going uphill, along with cars with employees and other essential services. Opened in both directions by late afternoon. Bet Alta parking fills up early on Friday morning.

lucy

Angel Diva
New interlodge record for 2021 is 60 hours. 2020 was 54 hours. At least they were rewarded with powder runs! Friday LCC opened at 2 pm. Saturday it rained and created an ice sheet over the mountain. Hope someone else was able to take advantage of the small window of opportunity.

marzNC

Angel Diva
While Interlodge in LCC is always a possibility due to a big snowstorm or rapidly warming temps in the spring, it usually only lasts a few hours. Last month, there was a 60-hour Interlodge. It caught locals and well as guests of the lodging up in the canyon by surprise mostly because of the length of time.

I'd heard the term "country club skiing" but have only experienced it once. One April stay at Alta Lodge, the road was closed until mid-morning due to a snowstorm. Interlodge ended a little before 9:00am. The first hour or two after lifts opened on time, there weren't many people around to enjoy the fresh snow.

The Ups and Downs of My Interlodge Ski Saga
A massive storm led to a record-breaking 60-hour shutdown at Utah’s Little Cottonwood Canyon last weekend, followed by a day of private skiing exclusively for those already in the area
https://www.outsideonline.com/2421223/interlodge-ski-stuck-inside-little-cottonwood-canyon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly