• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Utah LCC/BCC 2019-20 conditions - Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton

marzNC

Angel Diva
My first skiing around SLC won't be until Feb, but I started watching snow conditions for Alta in October. Alta ended up pushing back the opening date to Nov. 29 because it hasn't snowed much the last couple weeks. But a big storm is coming for Thanksgiving week. :thumbsup:

For those who haven't skied in Utah, some terminology:

LCC - Little Cottonwood Canyon, Alta at the end of the road, Snowbird a mile closer to SLC
BCC - Big Cottonwood Canyon, Brighton at the end of the road, Solitude a couple miles closer to SLC

UTA- Utah Transit Authority for ski bus that runs to LCC and BCC
UTA TRAX - light rail around SLC, has stop at airport
Parley's Canyon - where Park City and Deer Valley are located
Ogden Valley - where Snowbasin and Powder Mountain are located, about 1.5 hrs north of the SLC airport

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hopefully the numbers on the Alta website will be quite different by Friday. As of Nov. 24 the base depth is only 20" and total snowfall for the season so far is 48". A Winter Storm Watch was issued that goes thru Tuesday afternoon. Could be a foot in LCC. :snow:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Even if only look at the minimum OpenSnow forecasts for the next week, it certainly looks like there will be plenty of fresh snow in LCC/BCC by Thanksgiving weekend. Plenty cold for good snowmaking weather to continue building base for the core groomers top to bottom. Brighton has a couple lifts open. Alta, Snowbird, and Solitude all planning to open on Nov. 29.

The OpenSnow forecast for Alta as of Mon evening, 11/25
Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 9.34.03 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks like anyone who planned an early season trip to SLC starting this weekend should be pretty happy. The storm started on Dec. 12 and is probably not finishing up completely until Dec. 15. Per usual LCC will get more than Parley's Canyon, but even DV will get more than a foot in the next couple days.

Supreme is open at Alta. As of 6am this morning, the storm total was already 21 inches. :snow:

Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 9.04.24 AM.png

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I skied yesterday in another snowstorm. It was heaven. Lots of ungroomed blues with fresh snow. I was practically falling asleep on the lifts by 3:30 as it was fun but exhausting. It was still snowing this morning when I regretfully left for the airport. Can’t wait to come back!

marzNC

Angel Diva
The storm total at Alta is up to 27 inches as of 7am on 12/14/19. Could be another foot before the storm is done. This is the type of storm that closes the road in the early morning but not all day. Interlodge in the town of Alta started at 6:30am. Road is expected to open at 8:00am. :snow:

What I'll be watching is when routes such as Ballroom or Catherine's actually open for skiers. That could be tomorrow or later. All lifts will be running when Alta opens for the day.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Storm isn't quite over but not expecting much more tonight. Storm total may be just under 3 feet. Temps the next few days will be what I consider frigid, especially for Utah. Highs in the low teens!

Alta snowfall report as of 6pm MT, 12/14/19
Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 8.58.03 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Christmas snowstorm delivered more snow than could be predicted a day or two before it started. Finished yesterday morning. The total for Alta was 16 inches, spread across three days.

Alta 12/27/19, 7am
Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 9.19.55 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Another big snow storm for Utah started on New Year's Eve. Came after the fireworks and torchlight celebrations were over at Alta. Totals will be over 2 feet in a pretty short period.

OpenSnow for Alta on 1/1/2020
Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 11.34.25 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
The New Year's storm pushed the Alta season total over 200 inches. Definitely a powder day for Jan. 2. Although with this much snow, terrain like Devil's Castle won't be open for a day or more. It's full winter with temps in the 20s or lower for the next week. Snowplows have been working on the LCC and BCC roads. The snow tapers off this morning.

Alta 1/2/20 5:30am MT
Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 7.19.36 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
The official total at Alta for the last storm was 22 inches. Quite a lot of variation in the region. Even Solitude and Brighton got quite a bit less than Alta/Snowbird. Park City only got 5 inches.

The Alta history for Dec 2019 shows how much it can snow, but also how little. The big snowstorm during Thanksgiving week that dumped about 5 feet total was followed by a dry period.

OpenSnow historical snowfall for Alta
Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 10.45.02 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Evan of OpenSnow isn't feeling the best because of a cough, but he's fully stoked for the deep snow this week. For places with a second snowstake that shows a "storm total," the stake may not be tall enough before the end of the week. :snow:

From Utah Daily Update on Jan. 12, 2020, by Evan Thayer

Screen Shot 2020-01-12 at 9.36.37 AM.png

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The last few days have been crazy! Was super excited to ski Alta this morning, but there was an avalanche blocking LCC not long after the canyon opened. No injuries, which is most important thing — but somewhat amused that I didn’t get to ski today because conditions were basically too good. Strongly considering staying at Alta Lodge next time after all I’ve seen you write about it, Marz :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Staying SLC this week. Have skied Deer Valley, Alta twice, and today went to Solitude and Brighton. Not powder days but still good conditions in the trees everywhere. Heading back to Alta tomorrow.

It's been on the cold side, mostly in the high teens or 20s. But that's good for snow preservation. Could easily tell the difference between slopes that got sun and those that stay in the shade.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The last few days have been crazy! Was super excited to ski Alta this morning, but there was an avalanche blocking LCC not long after the canyon opened. No injuries, which is most important thing — but somewhat amused that I didn’t get to ski today because conditions were basically too good. Strongly considering staying at Alta Lodge next time after all I’ve seen you write about it, Marz :smile:

I was there that week too. Tried to get to Solitude and Sundance , since we could not get to Snowbird ,and still found crashes and blocked roads thwarting all attempts to get up to Snowbird that really bad day. It was crazy. Have available passes for LCC until end of season if anyone wants to purchase cheaply.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Alta posted a blog entry about the 52-hour interlodge. The snow density was completely atypical for LCC. Started with 7% but then went to 10% and the last 5 inches was 22% ! No wonder the slides on the road were out of the ordinary. Typical snow density for Alta in February is around 7.5%. Really fluffy powder is 4-5%.

Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 6.28.15 PM.png

mArLTAlove

Diva in Training
Just found the thread for all things SLC! If anyone is skiing LCC at all on 3/4, 3/5 or 3/6, feel free to reply! I'll be at Alta mostly, Snowbird depending on conditions. I'm headed out to ski and so far most of my usual ski buddies haven't been able to make any of those days "sick days" yet lol. Would be nice to ski with someone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna