• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Utah DOT recommends gondola for Little Cottonwood Canyon

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
The Utah Department of Transportation has officially recommended a gondola as the solution to the traffic woes of the Little Cottonwood Canyon where Alta and Snowbird are located. The price tag: $550 million in upfront costs and $7 million per year to operate. And it'll be funded by the state (taxpayers).

What do you think? A good solution? Is it worth the price tag?

altagirl

Staff member
I think I'd rather see tolls/reservations to limit traffic, personally. I don't see much support for a gondola locally, and it doesn't seem right for UDOT to override the city (where I live) and county where it would be based. Plus, that is a massive taxpayer expense.

Christy

Angel Diva
If this were my tax dollars we were talking about I'd be pretty peeved at the idea of spending up to $1 billion on something that served Alta and Snowbird...and that's it. Plus that lined the canyon with ugly towers and cables.

Would that make it the world's longest gondola? With a quick google, I don't see another that is 8 miles long.

I wonder how long it would take. You still have to drive there, park, wait in line for the gondola (and that could take a long time, right? It does at any given ski resort on a good day), then ride it to...the base? So then you need to wait in line to get up the mountain? How much time are we talking?

altagirl

Staff member
If this were my tax dollars we were talking about I'd be pretty peeved at the idea of spending up to $1 billion on something that served Alta and Snowbird...and that's it. Plus that lined the canyon with ugly towers and cables.

Would that make it the world's longest gondola? With a quick google, I don't see another that is 8 miles long.

I wonder how long it would take. You still have to drive there, park, wait in line for the gondola (and that could take a long time, right? It does at any given ski resort on a good day), then ride it to...the base? So then you need to wait in line to get up the mountain? How much time are we talking?
36 minute ride, per my googling.

Christy

Angel Diva
Okay, plus parking, walking and waiting in line...hopefully it wouldn't get the 45-60 minute lines the Whistler gondola does as presumably a newer gondola would be faster, but in any case, it seems like it still would take an hour+. That doesn't seem like a good value for the money spent.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I thought this was interesting. From SAM Magazine::

SALT LAKE CITY AND COUNTY GOVERNMENTS VOTE AGAINST PROPOSED LITTLE COTTONWOOD CANYON GONDOLA​

SAM Magazine—Salt Lake City, Utah, Oct. 10, 2022—On Oct. 4, the Salt Lake City Council became the latest government group to formally oppose the Little CottonwoodImage credit: Gondola Works Canyon gondola, Utah Department of Transportation’s (UDOT) proposed solution to traffic congestion on the route that leads to Alta and Snowbird. Hours earlier, Salt Lake County officials also formally condemned the project.

UDOT recommended the $550-million gondola in August after several years of technical analysis and environmental review, citing it as the best solution to traffic that, in the winter, can stretch for miles.
If approved, it would feature a central station along SR 21 at the base of the canyon, a 2,500-space parking lot, and an eight-mile gondola ride, the longest in the world. It could transport 35 people up Little Cottonwood—and directly to Alta and Snowbird—every two minutes.

City officials unanimously condemned the proposal, with mayor Erin Mendenhall citing “a lack of thorough review for environmental impacts,” specifically the negative effects on a vital watershed that supplies water to more than 450,000 residents, reported the Salt Lake Tribune.

Others expressed concern about scope creep for the more than half-billion-dollar project and said it would only remove an estimated 30 percent of traffic, would only benefit two privately-owned ski resorts, would have limited flexibility as a fixed infrastructure, and would require 22 “high-rise-hotel-sized towers” in the recreational canyon.

Still, only one decision last week was unanimous, with the county narrowly passing its resolution in a 5-4 vote following a contentious public comment period.

Other groups still aren’t sure. Prior to the vote, officials from the City of Sandy, off SR 210 at the canyon’s base, had urged the county not to condemn the gondola yet, asking they give UDOT the time to complete their work “unimpeded by political messaging.”

The City of Cottonwood Heights, another base-area community, is expected to vote unanimously against the gondola option in its next meeting, mayor Mike Weichers told the Deseret News.

Meanwhile, both Alta and Snowbird are included in a group, Gondola Works, that backs the project.
UDOT is hoping to “make the most informed selection possible” by seeking input via a 45-day public comment period, which will close on Oct. 17, after which a final recommendation will be issued no later than early 2023. Nearly 14,000 public comments about the project have been registered.
The gondola was one of two options pitched by UDOT to address traffic. The other was to increase bus service, which would include widening the canyon road and installing a dedicated bus lane.

A November 2021 poll by the Deseret News indicated that locals oppose the gondola at a rate of 3:1, supporting an extended bus system as their first choice for traffic mitigation.

UDOT has made other recent provisions to improve traffic, including enhancing bus service, building snow sheds for avalanche mitigation, and making parking improvements.

Other solutions may be available. One dissenting county council member, for example, provided a list of alternate, lower-cost solutions including electric buses, tolls, parking management strategies such as ski parking reservations and enhanced smartphone app technology, and rideshare programs.

Though the county’s resolution has little sway over the project, wrote the Deseret News, some council members on Tuesday said it sends a cautionary message to state lawmakers, who could ultimately decide whether to fund the gondola. SAM is following this developing story.

mustski

Angel Diva
I can’t help wondering how a gondola will be more effective than an EFFICIENT shuttle system. I emphasize efficiency because most shuttle systems are awful.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna