• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Utah 2019-20: travel planning, deals, snow conditions

marzNC

Angel Diva
Normally I only check the snow conditions and history for Alta when there is a multi-day snowstorm. Now that I plan to ski at least a day at Deer Valley mid-season, I sometimes look at the snow report for Parley's Canyon. LCC/BCC gets more snow than Parley's Canyon most of the time. It's interesting how snow reports differ in terms of style. Alta updates the snow report a few times during a 24-hour period, usually early in the morning (7am or earlier), around closing time (4pm), and again in the evening (7pm). Park City seems to only update early in the morning (6am). The Park City snow conditions info is on the Weather webpage that has the weather forecast for the next 6 days (4 locations, base and mid-mountain), as well as webcams for two snow stakes (PC Summit House, Canyons mid-mountain).

Alta 12/26/19, 6:00am
Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 8.24.07 AM.png

Park City 12/26/19, 5:30am
Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 8.23.49 AM.png

Alta 12/26/19, 7:00pm
Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 9.29.41 PM.png

ski_hat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Friends!

I'll be skiing at Sundance in February - I need help figuring out how to get there and where to stay... any advice? Better yet - anyone else up for skiing with me? :wink:

I'll be flying in to SLC on the evening of Feb 7 and flying out on the evening of Feb 9... I've got an event + skiing on Feb 8 at the resort and then figured I'd ski on the morning of Feb 9. Is this ridiculous? Totally sensible?

Most importantly: can I make this trip happen without paying an arm, a leg, and the naming rights for all future dogs I might ever adopt?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi Friends!

I'll be skiing at Sundance in February - I need help figuring out how to get there and where to stay... any advice? Better yet - anyone else up for skiing with me? :wink:

I'll be flying in to SLC on the evening of Feb 7 and flying out on the evening of Feb 9... I've got an event + skiing on Feb 8 at the resort and then figured I'd ski on the morning of Feb 9. Is this ridiculous? Totally sensible?

Most importantly: can I make this trip happen without paying an arm, a leg, and the naming rights for all future dogs I might ever adopt?
Never really thought about lodging for Sundance. Looks like plenty of motels in Orem or Provo. On dry road the drive is 30 minutes. Have you skied in Utah before?

Sundance has 450 acres. Shouldn't take long to figure it out, so skiing for a day and a half could be good fun. Just allow enough time to get to the airport in the event of a snow the day you leave.

ski_hat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good news! Turns out I don't need to worry about transportation or housing, as I'm participating in an event and jumped the gun a bit (the event is taking care of both). Whew! Thank you all for your help, though :thumb:

Have you skied in Utah before?
I have! :smile: I actually had the incredible privilege to spend two weeks there last year, skiing at Solitude, Brighton, and Deer Valley. It was amazing, and I can't wait to return!!

asherz515

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Friends!

I am local with a pass at Sundance, if you want someone to ski with, let me know. Its pretty close to Provo only 15 minutes and the road is usually really drive able.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am local with a pass at Sundance, if you want someone to ski with, let me know. Its pretty close to Provo only 15 minutes and the road is usually really drive able.
:wave: Hey there! Haven't heard from you in a while.

If you post a bit more, you'll be able to see the Meet On The Hill threads for Divas looking to meet up for a few runs or just a chat.

angelaskis

Certified Ski Diva
A quick report back from my weekend at Snowbird so far: oh my powww!!! It’s been nonstop dumping for the past two days and lots of freshies and faceshots to be had.

There was even an avalanche during the day yesterday that pushed three cars off the road into the canyon (no injuries though)! Supposed to continue like this through the week so enjoy those of you heading up soon.

asherz515

Certified Ski Diva
:wave: Hey there! Haven't heard from you in a while.

If you post a bit more, you'll be able to see the Meet On The Hill threads for Divas looking to meet up for a few runs or just a chat.
Thank you, I will try and post more. 3 days this week and my quads were burning! Sundance hasn't gotten any big powder days this season. But the conditions have been fantastic!

marzNC

Angel Diva
In a recent trip report for Snowbird and Alta, the question came up of how to keep up with canyon road conditions. Repeating the info here.

SkiUtah has a blog article about parking for Utah ski areas/resorts in general.
https://www.skiutah.com/blog/authors/kathy/the-ultimate-guide-to-ski-resort

@UDOTcottonwoods on Twitter for updates on road conditions is perhaps the best source for changing conditions or problems caused by an accident.

Snowbird has a DOT webcams of the RT 210.
https://www.snowbird.com/road-conditions/

The Alta conditions webpage has a few road-related links.
Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 9.01.40 AM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Starting during the holiday week, Brighton instituted a new parking policy. People with only the driver or just one passenger in the car won't be allowed to park at the main lot. That's within walking distance of the lifts. There is a shuttle lot available. But when that's full, people will have to ride the bus. A Brighton pass is good for riding UTA buses.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/environment/2019/12/24/brightons-changes-parking/
Apparently the Brighton main lot will be for vehicles with 3+ people on the busy days.

From SkiUtah Parking, 02Jan2020:
"On high-traffic days, Brighton will designate their large main lot for carpool only (3+ riders) and parking for 3 or less will be available on a first-come-first-served basis at the Brighton Store until the lot is full. Once the lot is full, guests will be turned around and encouraged to use the bus."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna