• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add webmaster@theskidiva.com to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Utah 2019-20: travel planning, deals, snow conditions

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Learn and Earn program is wildly popular here, and also sells out early-usually in the spring.

Bookworm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For the first part of my trip in December,I’ll be staying in Murray and will have a rental car. It’s not 4-wheel drive. I hear the law is that you have to have 4WD to drive through the canyon to Alta. Any advice besides taking the bus? Rent a $$$$ 4WD? Ugh.

Bookworm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Because I will be staying in Park City the second half on Hilton’s dime. I thought it’d be fun to ski DV the second half and Alta/Snowbird/Solitude/Brighton the first half. December 7-13 is when I’ll be there. If I remember right, it was cheaper to stay in Murray and it looked to me to be closer to the Alta area.
I’m open to changes if you have some advice. I have Ikon so I can’t ski the entire trip at DV.

For the first part of my trip in December,I’ll be staying in Murray and will have a rental car. It’s not 4-wheel drive. I hear the law is that you have to have 4WD to drive through the canyon to Alta. Any advice besides taking the bus? Rent a $$$$ 4WD? Ugh.
There are very specific days that 4WD is required for LCC/BCC canyon roads . . . when the roads are covered with snow. If you get that lucky in Dec, take the UTA Ski Bus. But I wouldn't worry about changing the car rental for an early season trip.

For a mid-season trip to SLC, one option is to reserve both 2WD and AWD/4WD. Then cancel the one that isn't going to be needed.

Because I will be staying in Park City the second half on Hilton’s dime. I thought it’d be fun to ski DV the second half and Alta/Snowbird/Solitude/Brighton the first half. December 7-13 is when I’ll be there. If I remember right, it was cheaper to stay in Murray and it looked to me to be closer to the Alta area.
I’m open to changes if you have some advice. I have Ikon so I can’t ski the entire trip at DV.
Staying in Sandy/Murray makes the most sense for an inexpensive motel room when skiing LCC/BCC. I've done it and would do it again for a short solo trip. Definitely more convenient that staying in Park City when planning skiing Alta/Snowbird or Solitude or Brighton.

Thanks! I’m looking forward to Solitude/Brighton. It may be more friendly for my first time out this year.
Brighton has more mellow terrain as I remember. Meaning in comparison to Solitude. Solitude groomers are on the steep side. Fun but a few blues feel steeper than Alta blue groomers.

It's worth the effort to go into the round mid-mountain lodge, even if only for a break. Go up to the top floor (there is an elevator) for a nice quiet space. Bill liked the lunch menu better than what was in the base cafeteria.

Powder Mountain sells 5-packs. They are $376 after a 15% discount until late Nov. Good for anyone to use. But still need to reserve a ticket in advance if it looks like a powder day because there is a limit on the number of day tickets.

Per usual, the season passes sold out. I think the cap is 1500.

Noticed that for the Women's Program that is set up as 4 Saturdays, it's also possible to do just one 3-hour session.

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 10.53.04 PM.png

Winter has arrived in the Utah mountains! Powder Mountain and Snowbasin seem to be the big winners for this storm, which is still going on. Already 1-2 feet and another foot is likely, if not a bit more.

PowMow put up a snowstake that is a bit different. One side is for the storm total and the other is cleared every 24 hours. Snowbasin had 19 inches when the snowstake there was cleared off.

Powder Mountain Snowstake 7am 11/28/2019
Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 8.58.27 AM.jpg

Don't remember when Alta usually gets over 100 inches for the season, but it happened for this season with the current storm. Automated snow alert emails were sent out about tonight. Another foot expect on top of the 16+ inches in the last 24 hours. Storm total was up to 56" as of 4pm MT 11/29!

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 7.27.25 PM.png

Members Online