• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Unsolicited Feedback from Man on Chairlift. Grrr....

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Being old, I'm now having problems recalling exact conversations, but some guy on the chair the other day was so irritating I finally told him I've been skiing for almost 50 years and I didn't need any instructions from him. That didn't shut him up, but totally ignoring him finally worked. I think the thing that set him off was telling him I didn't like a run because it was always hard pack and has a ton of people on it. He then proceeded to tell me how to get down it. As if skiing at Camelback for 25 years didn't teach me all that. Doesn't mean I want to ski that run. There's beautiful runs here with great snow and no one on them.

I rarely get these dudes, my daughter gets them constantly.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I gotta say, there are advantages to being old and fat. I honestly have never been harassed on a ski lift.

(1) you're not old and fat
(2) the last time I was harassed on a ski lift, I was 10. The liftie backed me up and thought I was a boy.
Which brings me to
(3) maybe I don't get harassed or mansplained on ski lifts because I still look like a boy??

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
(3) maybe I don't get harassed or mansplained on ski lifts because I still look like a boy??

A ski school instructor once asked me to ride the chair with a young girl in a group lesson. The girl was super cute and was telling me all about how she'd had a great day so far and hadn't even cried once. Then she turned and looked at me and asked: "Are you a boy or a girl?" I must admit, I have never come close to mastering looking feminine while skiing.

judeb

Certified Ski Diva
A few years ago I pulled into a state park campground after dark a Friday night and a very nice college-age fellow came over and said of he and his group of friends: "We're all guys, so if you need any help setting up your tent, just let us know." I was headed off on an ultralight solo backpacking trip the next morning and definitely didn't need help with my tent, but he meant well and was very sweet. I thanked him for what were clearly good intentions and wished them all a good night. When I woke up in the morning, I looked in the direction of their campsite and saw this: :rotf::rotf:

View attachment 10669
I've so many questions about this! I have to assume they were drunk when they pitched that tent, but if so, how did they manage to climb the trees? to get the ropes up there? Mainly though, I'd have laughed for a good 10 minutes before starting my hike.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've so many questions about this! I have to assume they were drunk when they pitched that tent, but if so, how did they manage to climb the trees? to get the ropes up there? Mainly though, I'd have laughed for a good 10 minutes before starting my hike.

I think they forgot their poles so had to improvise, and I love that that didn't stop them from offering to help. It reminds me of the New Yorker cartoon with a man and a woman on a dinner date and he's saying to her: "Let me interrupt your expertise with my confidence..."

judeb

Certified Ski Diva
I think they forgot their poles so had to improvise, and I love that that didn't stop them from offering to help. It reminds me of the New Yorker cartoon with a man and a woman on a dinner date and he's saying to her: "Let me interrupt your expertise with my confidence..."
I love that cartoon! Every woman I know has seen that played out so many times...

Christy

Angel Diva

You don't like a boy at all. Maybe it's just hard when we are all helmeted.

I've had a new kind of mansplaining in the past year or two. It's the old guy that wants to complain about politics and society to me. Sometimes it starts if they ask where I live and I say Seattle (people outside the city love to hate on Seattle these days); other times it's just men spouting their opinions about all things politics/society. What makes them think I care about their views? Sure women can be opinionated--I certainly am--but the number of times I have shared a lift with a random woman who has bent my ear about society and politics is ZERO.

marzNC

Angel Diva
3) maybe I don't get harassed or mansplained on ski lifts because I still look like a boy??
Perhaps not a boy, but just a lot younger than you think. Rode up with a mother and tween son recently. She started the conversation with "Are you having fun?" By the end of the lift ride somehow I ended up mentioning I was over 60. She admitted she initially thought I was a tween/teen. I had on a FaceSaver so pretty covered up. :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly