• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

U.S. Nationals and We Were Third :D

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, ladies, I am pretty quiet around here after March because I get pretty heavy into my horse competition season. I am going to toot my own horn here, because I'm really proud of my horse's accomplishments this year! I got him after losing a really special one three years ago, and have battled some lameness issues with this guy, that I finally figured out basically on my own and it sure paid off.

I have a rather awesome Arabian gelding who I've been showing for the past 3 years (bought him 3 years ago) and this year, after bringing him closer to home and doing my own training for several months, has been our best one yet. After going champion at our region 1 horse show in Del Mar, CA, then reserve champion at our region 2 show in Santa Barbara, then champ again at our Santa Barbara fall show, I took him to the U.S. National Championship show in Tulsa, OK last week and we were top ten in the country in our division, placing third overall! I have waited 30 years to garner a top ten. I am of course dreaming of a national championship, but that will have to wait a bit longer, I guess. He's a phenomenal horse and I am so lucky to own him.

He's getting a few months off now so I can afford skiing (I'm not kidding--I could show him in Scottsdale in February but I want to ski!)

Here are links to the photographers proofs from the show.
https://www.ferraraphoto.com/11USN/1671/11usn_18956.htm

https://www.ferraraphoto.com/11USN/1671/11usn_09385.htm

https://www.ferraraphoto.com/11USN/1671/11usn_09445.htm

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks so much--I was over the moon I was so happy! Some folks go reserve national champ and don't even crack a smile and I really have a hard time with that. Life is too short!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks so much--I was over the moon I was so happy! Some folks go reserve national champ and don't even crack a smile and I really have a hard time with that. Life is too short!

Completely agree with that attitude. Enthusiasm is contagious. I haven't been on a horse in decades, and after seeing your photo, I was like, "I gotta get onto a horse!"

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, all! Riding is an addiction, but a very good one even if it is expensive ;-)

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Completely agree with that attitude. Enthusiasm is contagious. I haven't been on a horse in decades, and after seeing your photo, I was like, "I gotta get onto a horse!"
+ 1 on that! :thumbsup:
Congratulations on a superb achievement! :clap:
Gorgeous horse, BTW>wow
ETA: AND, you look nice as well : )

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, ladies. I have watched the video of my ride over and over, and I get a little choked up (with a big smile) every time I hear the announcer call us in as part of the top ten. So fun! I have worked so hard since I was a little girl at riding, and this year has just been a phenomenal reward, even if it's taken 35 years!

And now, I have completely switched the horse switch to SKIING! It's almost comical! Doesn't hurt that I am getting pictures on FB from Mammoth and Northstar showing the latest foot of snow they have received in the Sierra Nevada. Time to drag out my stuff and make sure everything's clean and ready, then figure out when I'll be able to get my first trip to the snow :D

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What a totally beautiful animal (and her rider's pretty awesome, too)! So many congrats for you after such dedication. YEA!!!!!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm late to the party thanks to ongoing power problems from the Great Halloween Blizzard of '11...but better late than never!

You guys look TERRIFIC!!!:dance::dance::dance: Congratulations!!! Your boy looks wonderful! And I think you SHOULD look really delighted! Who gets all blase with a triumph like this? Who could ride that magnificent horse without busting a grin?

What style of riding are you showing in? I do not know enough about the show styles and such to know (or, not yet, at least...). I mean, I can see it's some kind of English riding, but beyond that, I can't decode the clothes, etc.

ski.junkie

Certified Ski Diva
Congrat's on your top ten!!! That's a huge accomplishment. :thumbsup:

I love the pic's; you two make a great pair!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, ladies! Serafina, it's called "hunter pleasure" and it's the Arabian breed's stylized version of what a horse who is capable of heading over some jumps should look like. All it really is is a manners and beauty pageant ;) To me, it would be more appropriate to call it "dressage" pleasure or something like that. The horses have to be VERY fancy!

Half the fun (or frustration) of it for me is being out there with 16+ other horses, all going around at the same time in the same direction, and navigating. I've gotten really good at it! Practice, practice, practice!

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Chachee is such a sweetie, and in those pix he's obviously very proud of himself, as he should be!!! Congratulations again, and see you tomorrow afternoon!! SO EXCITED to get skiing again.

BTW you have him stabled right near me, I'd love to meet up and say hi to him again. We'll talk tomorrow.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
He IS a sweet boy! And honestly, yes, he seems to know he's all that in the show ring. It's pretty funny, actually. And yes, see you tomorrow, come rain, or rain!

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
He IS a sweet boy! And honestly, yes, he seems to know he's all that in the show ring. It's pretty funny, actually. And yes, see you tomorrow, come rain, or rain!

Haha, he does seem like that. Outside the ring, he's cool and low-key, but in the ring he BRINGS IT. Like Roy Scheider says in the movie "All That Jazz" - it's showtime!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly