• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Tuning and waxing

eclaire

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Divas,

I'm really enjoying my new K2 Tru Loves, which I bought this year. They seem to be perfect for my level of skiing at this stage, although I think that by next year I may find them a bit soft.

I've skied on them 6 times so far this season, and I'm wondering if and when I should have them tuned and waxed? It's been so long since I skied and the technology has changed so much that I feel like even if I knew what the old rules were, they wouldn't apply!

They still feel fine, both the edges and bases. But what should I be feeling when it's time to have it done? What should I ask the shop to do when I bring them in and what should I look for when I pick them up?

Finally, I'd love to learn to tune and wax them myself. Are there clinics that are held to teach you this kind of thing?

Thanks, as always, for the advice!

claire

Jilly

Staff member
Another sign of needing is wax is dry bases - they look fuzzy and maybe even white if the base is black.

Also if you damage the base - get them in right away. Don't want moisture between all the layers that skis are made from.

As for edges - MSL explaination is probably the best one. When you can't hold the edge get them in.

Check the gear section for more info about tuning. It's not hard.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
REI has a video on their website on tuning that is really helpful. We got the equipment last year (after quizzing my Snowbasin instructor at length!) and followed the video. The edges were a little trickier for me, so I had the guys at the shop where I bought the edge sharpener show me what to do (we do a lot of business there so they were willing to share). I was rewarded for my hard work with much admiration from my instructor.

When we redid the garage at home we installed long benches for waxing & tuning.

On the REI website, go to "Learn", then "Expert Advice" in the top bar, then scroll down and click on "All Snowsports Articles" on the left and pick "Waxing Your Skis/Snowboard".

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is some basic information about the what, why, and how here in the Gearipedia as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna