• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TRX suspension training, what do you think?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Anyone with experience TRX suspension training? I gather my personal trainer likes it a lot. Only got to do a few exercises with it so far. Several local gyms have TRX classes so now I'm curious. Developed by a former Navy Seal with an MBA.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For those who didn't read this thread before the crash . . . here's what a TRX looks like in action.

TRX for beginners

For me, the conclusion was that I like using it with a personal trainer but am not yet convinced it is worth spending $150-200. My trainer (older woman who used to be an elem teacher) likes it enough to bring her personal TRX to the fitness center where we meet.

Here are the alternatives, all less than the TRX.

Comparison of suspension training systems

Christy

Angel Diva
The posters for ski conditioning class just went up at my gym, and this year they are incorporating TRX straps and...something else TRX.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There's a recall on the earlier models of TRX.
Fitness Anywhere LLC, in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, is initiating a voluntary recall of “Professional” (P1) and “Tactical” (T1) TRX Suspension Trainer devices manufactured between January 2006 and July 2007 because the strap length adjustment buckles can break, posing a fall hazard. The voluntary recall does not affect USA-made, GSA-approved, government Tactical Suspension Trainer devices.
The recalled products’ anchor straps are yellow or khaki nylon with a carabiner at the top end and a black nylon loop on the bottom end. A black and yellow or black and khaki nylon strap is threaded through the black nylon loop on the anchor strap to form a “Y.” On each side of the “Y,” the strap has a cam buckle, which is used to adjust the length of the straps. Each end of the “Y” strap has a foam-covered hand grip and a foot cradle. The recalled devices have hand grips with no end bumpers, which are black plastic caps covering the ends and preventing the plastic under the foam from being exposed. They do not have an extra nylon loop, called a locking loop, attached at the point where the anchor strap and the “Y” straps are joined and designed to limit the slippage of the straps. The recalled products also have badges on the straps with the TRX logo and the word “Professional” (for P1 devices) or “Tactical” (for T1 devices) on them. The words and logo are surrounded by raised dots or have double lines through them.
Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately and contact Fitness Anywhere to arrange to return the recalled product for a replacement TRX Suspension Trainer device. Return authorization is required prior to returning the units.
Photographs of the recalled products appear below. If you purchased a TRX Suspension Trainer device between January 2006 and December 2007 please contact Fitness Anywhere toll-free at (888)-221-7417 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. PT or [email protected]. Thank you.

marzNC

Angel Diva
There's a recall on the earlier models of TRX.
Interesting. Wonder what the company would do if someone bought it used?

I'm still on the fence as to whether it would be useful to me to use without someone's guidance, whether a personal trainer or in a class.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I sold my TRX to a personal trainer I know, and let her know about the recall. I hope she can exchange it for a improved model. That fence you're on, I hopped off it. There are so many different fitness tools available...

Greeley

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a personal trainer & love using the TRX for my own workouts & with my clients. I have found that the heavier, less active clients don't like it as well as the ones that are in pretty good shape to start with. It forces you to use your core for all exercises, which helps in the balance you need for skiing.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm a personal trainer & love using the TRX for my own workouts & with my clients. I have found that the heavier, less active clients don't like it as well as the ones that are in pretty good shape to start with. It forces you to use your core for all exercises, which helps in the balance you need for skiing.
Interesting . . . I think I fall in the latter category. My trainer seems to keep worrying that an exercise will be too hard, which hasn't really been the case. What's been hard is figuring out and then remembering the exercises since she has me do several in a short amount of time. If I were still traveling for business, that would make it more worth putting more effort into learning to do stuff on my own.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have to make my pt write my exercises down every few times j see him because he keeps getting ideas, and I keep forgetting which ones I should still be doing at home.

I've seen people at different levels using that rip trainer thing at the gym, and while it seems hard, they do seem to get into it. Looks like something that'd be fun as my upper body strength comes back. I'm having no trouble wrangling suitcases around while traveling, but I'm also good at cheating. ;)

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The posters for ski conditioning class just went up at my gym, and this year they are incorporating TRX straps and...something else TRX.

I'm so insanely jealous you have a ski conditioning class at your gym.

IceHeeler

Angel Diva
I use a different brand and I love them. My trainer started me on them and now I don't leave home without them. They are the perfect, portable workout item. I occasionally use mine during regular training or while recovering from overdoing stuff too.

C

CMCM

I've used TRX at my gym and I really like it a lot for core work. I wouldn't buy it for at-home use, though. From using it at the gym I like having a great deal of open space to use it, which I couldn't achieve at home.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Have decided I do like using a TRX with my trainer. She makes every session a bit different since there are so many possibilities. She's incorporating ski conditioning and exercises that are good for knees with general core strengthening. I'm going to keep working with her, although perhaps not as often during ski season.

I have no interest in getting one for use at home.

Mama Sue

Certified Ski Diva
I've liked doing TRX with my trainer, but he hasn't brought it out much lately, so I wonder if he's fallen off the bandwagon as well.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm continuing to use the TRX with my trainer on a weekly basis. She keeps things fresh since there are so many possibilities for a full body work out in 45 min with an emphasis on exercises good for skiing.

marzNC

Angel Diva
After getting more of a sense of the variety of exercises possible with the TRX in the last month, I decided to get a personal one. Started looking on eBay and craigslist. The cost comparison was to getting the home version directly from the company for 20% off with free shipping, retail is $199. Compared to eBay, getting it direct at the discounted rate is a reasonable option. But I got lucky. Happened to catch a craigslist listing just a few hours after it was posted. It's was an unused military package for $105, which often goes on eBay for $130+. Apparently some are being sold as surplus.

This is one reason I got started with the TRX.

This is why I plan to keep using the TRX.

Definitely made a difference having a personal trainer who changes up the combinations for the TRX. At this point, I'm doing exercises in front, in back, on the floor, 1-leg, etc.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
lol I love fitness videos on youtube... notice where she has to kick the crap on the floor out of the way at .30? At least its better than some of them.

To stay on topic, we were doing pistol squats with the trx the other day...

marzNC

Angel Diva
The percentage of fitness videos that are worth anything is certainly pretty low. Would definitely not want to try to learn to use the TRX just from YouTube. For ski conditioning, most of what I've found up to now are for people who are far more athletic than I ever was. Since my trainer does a lot of work with seniors, it's been interesting as she learns about more exercises that are for much older people. One of her clients is a man in his late 70's who is recovering from a stroke.

For instance, this woman is in her 80's:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly