• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TRX suspension training, what do you think?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I suppose from Youtube every Californian exercises on a bluff overlooking the ocean, in short shorts and a tank top. :smile: I do it in my garage (sort of outdoors), the Pilates studio, and the pool at the Y!

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
The reason I sold mine was because I felt it wasn't secure on a hollow core bedroom door in my condo (for me or the door).
I had the same concern. The first time I leaned back and put my weight on it feels like a leap of faith. My bathroom door opens inward and away from me though, so the TRX (and the door) is being held by the door frame on three sides plus the latch. I can see if the door opens towards you and the TRX is only held In place by the latch, it can feel a little insecure. The engineer in me says the force vectors and math all point to needing more than my body weight to rip the door open or off the frame, but the little reptilian amygdala keeps screaming “what if it fails!” So far, it’s been very solid.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I found most of the TRX exercises more than I was interested in doing. Meaning too hard. That's one reason I started a blog to store stuff that I find useful, especially short videos. Even though the title is Over 50 Ski Fitness for Skiing Adventures, some of the examples are good for younger adults, and a few are good for getting started with exercising after 60 or 70 even if skiing is not of interest. Developing and maintaining good balance is important for seniors over 80, 90, or 100.

All this discussion has prompted me to update the TRX and knee sections of my fitness blog (no ads).

Thanks again for your blog. I found a lot of good information there. The first time I skimmed through it last fall I skipped all the TRX stuff because I knew nothing about it and wasn’t in the mindset to find out.

I really like how the TRX helps with my single-leg eccentric squats. I was never able to go down more than a minimal amount. Either I collapse onto the chair behind or the knee screams bloody murder. Which means the muscles weren’t really being developed as they should. With the TRX, I am able to offload some weight and stabilize as necessary to squat lower and actually feel the muscles engage. To me, just to be able to progress in this one exercise is worth the cost.

There is one disadvantage of not having a ceiling mount. My hamstrings are not strong enough to do full hamstring curls using the door anchor. Supposedly, moving the straps behind the anchor point (away from you) would make this exercise easier. Obviously with a door anchor this is not possible. I do have other exercises I am doing to work the hamstrings. Hopefully in the not too distant future they are strong enough to use the TRX.

marzNC

Angel Diva
There is one disadvantage of not having a ceiling mount. My hamstrings are not strong enough to do full hamstring curls using the door anchor. Supposedly, moving the straps behind the anchor point (away from you) would make this exercise easier. Obviously with a door anchor this is not possible. I do have other exercises I am doing to work the hamstrings. Hopefully in the not too distant future they are strong enough to use the TRX.
How close to the ground are you setting the straps when putting your feet in them? I know the recommended level is mid-calf. But can start lower.

I really like how the TRX helps with my single-leg eccentric squats. I was never able to go down more than a minimal amount. Either I collapse onto the chair behind or the knee screams bloody murder. Which means the muscles weren’t really being developed as they should. With the TRX, I am able to offload some weight and stabilize as necessary to squat lower and actually feel the muscles engage. To me, just to be able to progress in this one exercise is worth the cost.
:thumbsup:

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
How close to the ground are you setting the straps when putting your feet in them? I know the recommended level is mid-calf. But can start lower.
I had the straps at mid-calf. I didn’t think to lower them closer to the ground. Will try next time and see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestion!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I had the straps at mid-calf. I didn’t think to lower them closer to the ground. Will try next time and see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestion!
Also try various distances from the door. As well as different positions for your heels in terms of how far back. A bit different with or without shoes.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Today we got a new instructor in our TRX class, she normally teaches bootcamp classes.. She definitely took it up more than a few notches from the previous instructor. Longer intervals, less rest, very cardio and core intensive. It was great, now that I’m finished! Lol Good way to get back into the swing of things though after the long weekend.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My hamstrings are not strong enough to do full hamstring curls using the door anchor. Supposedly, moving the straps behind the anchor point (away from you) would make this exercise easier.
Got curious . . . I did an experiment when I went to my fitness center the other day. There are two TRX set up for in a general exercise area. While it's slightly easier when feet are behind an overhead anchor point, it doesn't make that much difference. Lowering the straps makes more difference in terms of the level of difficulty.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Got curious . . . I did an experiment when I went to my fitness center the other day. There are two TRX set up for in a general exercise area. While it's slightly easier when feet are behind an overhead anchor point, it doesn't make that much difference. Lowering the straps makes more difference in terms of the level of difficulty.
I tried lowering the straps. It was easier but not enough of a difference to me. That gave me another idea, however. I tried doing it one leg at a time. That was a little weird but revealed my limiting factor. My right leg is fine, that’s my good leg. I have trouble pulling in with my left. If fully extended is at 0 degree, I am weak at range of motion starting from about 45 degrees. I need to pay more attention to not favor my good leg during any exercises involving both legs simultaneously.

marzNC

Angel Diva
This pre-season what I'm working on with my personal trainer are hips and hamstrings. Yesterday we experimented with a few TRX exercises for hips that she found online recently. Actually for basketball players but what she likes about that a couple involve rotation. All 4 are done slowly, deliberately, and are low impact.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I did a TRX and Bells class a couple weeks ago. You alternate between TRX exercises and using 1 or 2 kettle bells for strength work. Definitely HIIT. I liked it well enough to keep it on a list of classes that I'll go to when it happens to fit in my schedule. Learned some new exercises on both the TRX and with the bells. Only one of the TRX exercises can't be done with a door mount, which is what I have in my basement.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Anyone using their TRX outdoors in their yard?

I started working out with my friend JF's husband in their backyard a few weeks ago. First couple of times my personal trainer came so we had a joint training session. His backyard is private, big, and has plenty of trees that are a good size for the TRX strap. I think we've tried 5-6 so far. Started when being in the sun was nice because it was cool in the morning and lately being in the shade was better because it's been much warmer.

My personal trainer has set up her townhome backyard for outdoor workouts. It's still evolving but is far more fun for her instead of working in the walk out basement. The alternative when it rains is a Zoom session for her clients that have a personal TRX or other training aids at home. So far, we've only been rained out once out of five weeks.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yes, thank you! I was looking on Ebay and saw some pro models, but also a lot more “basic” models which are cheaper. So I was curious what people tended toward who have them at home already. Haven’t checked locally on Craigslist or Facebook yard sale groups, but I’ll do that first as it would be nice to inspect the condition in person before purchasing.
Did you ever buy a TRX?

Last week my friend bought what he thought was a TRX from eBay. He wants family members to be able to work out with him. The item title had "TRX" in it. The price was under $100. But when he took it out to set up on a tree last weekend, I saw that it was not a TRX, but a PS3. The straps are about the same. However, the metal hardware was much lighter weight. It was immediately obvious it wasn't a TRX because the clip was kept closed with a screw that required a torx tool. The ceiling mount was much less substantial than what TRX offers.

IceHeeler

Angel Diva
Anyone using their TRX outdoors in their yard?

I started working out with my friend JF's husband in their backyard a few weeks ago. First couple of times my personal trainer came so we had a joint training session. His backyard is private, big, and has plenty of trees that are a good size for the TRX strap. I think we've tried 5-6 so far. Started when being in the sun was nice because it was cool in the morning and lately being in the shade was better because it's been much warmer.

Not outside because I don't have any trees. Until I saw your post I forgot I have several sets at home. I switched to teaching zoom classes last week and so far we're doing bodyweight only. I think I'll hang a couple in my barn loft and see if any of my clients would like to add TRX back to the class or have a separate class.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Did you ever buy a TRX?

Last week my friend bought what he thought was a TRX from eBay. He wants family members to be able to work out with him. The item title had "TRX" in it. The price was under $100. But when he took it out to set up on a tree last weekend, I saw that it was not a TRX, but a PS3. The straps are about the same. However, the metal hardware was much lighter weight. It was immediately obvious it wasn't a TRX because the clip was kept closed with a screw that required a torx tool. The ceiling mount was much less substantial than what TRX offers.

I did not, I ended up figuring that I was more likely to use it in classes at the gym. Though now that everything has changed so much and all workouts have been at home, I may go back on that!

On a slightly related topic, have you seen any of the workout fail compilations that have come out with so many people working out at home and on Zoom? A large number had to do with poorly installed TRX systems! Lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna