• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Trip Report: Prague & a bit of the Czech Republic

abc

Banned
A couple months ago, I asked for and got great advices about a central Europe cruise, Prague and Budapest etc. So I thought I’d better make a trip report.

First thing first, my European geography was a bit faulty (I must have slept through my European geography class in school). I didn’t realize Prague isn’t on the Danube! In fact, it’s not anywhere near it! :embarrassed:

So, in cruise terms, it’s a ‘diversion’ (i.e. extra $$) and ‘an extension’ (extra $$$$)! We didn’t take Viking’s offer on the extension. At $600 PER PERSON ($1200 total) for 3 days, I could do a whole lot better than what they offered!

The hotel used by Viking was in the business part of the city. Good hotel but not so convenient for tourist. So I booked a different one, right next to the famous Old Town Square with its funky Astronomical Clock.

We arrived mid-afternoon. I’ve arranged private transfer from the airport to the hotel. A driver holding a card with our name was waiting outside the arrival hall. He’s very quiet so no tour comments. He’s also efficient, dropped us outside the hotel in ½ hr. A coupon for 50% off of next day’s semi-private walking tour.

The hotel staff speaks excellent English! I’ve been warned language might be a problem. So I was relieved to have no problem there. Being low season, it costs less than the one Viking uses. We walked around the area a little and got my first photo of the Old Town of Prague!

DSC_00081.JPG

Next morning, the tour didn’t start till 11 for some unknown reason. So we had some time to walk around a bit. So I headed off in the direction of the Charles Bridge, with its many beautiful sculptures.

DSC_00101.JPG

DSC_00161.JPG

It was only ½ hr since we left the hotel, we were already on the other side of the bridge: Little Town. It’s lovely to a fault!

DSC_0029.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

It’s almost time for our walking tour. So we went backed to hotel for a brief rest, the beauty of having a hotel right next to touring sites. And then we went back out for the walking tour. Our guide was a Prague local who had been doing tour of Prague since she graduates from university with a history degree many moons ago. So she knew Prague inside out, especially all the historical tidbits. It’s was great fun. She took us round the Old Town, the New Town, ducked into a little known beautiful church, then to the Jewish quarter. After that, she took us to a small café for lunch. We wouldn’t have thought of going there. Only locals go there. Food was good and relatively inexpensive.

After lunch, we took a very brief boat cruise on the … river. It basically went under the Charles Bridge, duck into a side canal with houses rising from the water a little like a miniature Venice. The view from the water level is priceless!

DSC_0053.JPG

DSC_0050.JPG

Back on land, we cross the bridge into Little Town again. Winter days are short and we were running a little shy of daylight. So we hurry to board the tram to the castle complex. Bit of a shame to skip Little Town, which also looks very lovely. But we know Prague Castle is the main tourist attraction for good reason. Up on top, we had a sweeping view of the city below!

DSC_0061.JPG

The Castle area also has numerous museums and galleries but we wouldn’t have time today. We went into the St. Vitus Church, which was beautiful. I took a picture of the gorgeous interior with stain glasses.

DSC_00571.JPG

As daylight fades, the churches and palaces turned on their outside flood lights. The whole castle area was then ablaze in soft glowing lights.

DSC_0069.JPG

DSC_0064.JPG

We slowly walked down the slopes and steps, back across another bridge to Old Town again.

DSC_0076.JPG

(more later, I'm exhausted...)

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Very cool, thanks for sharing. My ski host friend is from Brno, CR, and have learned much about these sites including astronomical clock. The history of the region is amazing. Will you get to Moravia or areas outside the city?

altagirl

Staff member
Love the pictures - totally brings back memories!! And I have watercolor paintings of a few of those buildings in our house too.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
abc,
Your photos are wonderful. Now I really regret not taking the opportunity a few years ago, when I was invited to sing with a group going over there. The architecture is amazing and the churches remind me of Pillars of the Earth. The detail! Thanks for sharing these.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Those are some amazing pictures. Brings back some fond memories for me too. Looks like it was a wonderful trip.

How was the rest of the trip?

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great TR.

The last time I was in Prague, it was still under the Communist regime. The whole city was so gray and dreary. Now, it has come to life with the painted buildings and lights.

Your photos have inspired me. The next time I visit my friends in Dresden, I will surely make the trip to Prague.

abc

Banned
Thanks for the compliment on the pictures. It's actually quite hard to photograph Prague. All the buildings are so close together. Hard to frame one without getting a corner or a side of another nearby building. And the weather ranges from foggy to a few very stingy rays of sun

How was the rest of the trip?
I'll post part II of Czech Republic tonight after work.

Will you get to Moravia or areas outside the city?
South Bohemia will be next on the TR. (but I wasn't even done with Prague yet:wink:)

abc

Banned
Day 2 of Prague:

The next morning, we had a couple hours before heading down to Nuremberg to catch our ship. So we walked to the City Gate and the very ornate building that’s (or was?) the City Hall.

DSC_0085.JPG

DSC_0086.JPG

Made a lazy loop back to Old Town Square through some alley full of cute and heavily decorated apartment buildings.

DSC_00882.JPG

Back to the Old Town Square, we took the elevator up to the upper level of the Astronomical clock tower and got a fantastic view of the Old Town, New Town, Old Jewish Quarter and Prague Castle. Basically, everything in Prague that’s on the tour book can be seen from up there!

The Astronomical Clock:

DSC_0126.JPG

The view from its height:

DSC_0109.JPG

DSC_0107.JPG

After we gawl at the fantastic bird's eye view of Prague to our heart's content, we came back down and ducked into some of those many churches:

DSC_01221.JPG

(Dome and chandelier in St. Nicolas)

abc

Banned
Instead of sitting in a bus for a boring 4 hrs’ view of highways as suggested by Viking, we hired a car with a driver to wind our way down Nuremberg. First stop, the cute little (actually a sprawling big) karlstein castle!

DSC_01382.JPG

DSC_01361.JPG

After that, it’s an hour of lovely windy roads with vegetation I’ve not seen before. The area around the Karlstein castle is full of hiking trails. Would love to come back and hike around. Another hr took us to Plzen, where the Pilsner brewery is. The town is lovely like it’s out of story books again! By now, I’m tired of photo after photo of churches. Still, I had to take 1 of the brewry!

Pilsner_Brewry.JPG

Thus, ends our visit to the Czech Republic and begins our ordeal of ‘cruise on wheels’ with the “Great Viking Bus Line”!

Pandita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
abc - these are amazing pictures. I can only imagine what it looks like in real life. Truly beautiful

abc

Banned
Yep, another place to add to my list.
The Czech Republic is like one big fantasy land. I could I have more time for it. Easily a week wouldn't be too much.

Budapest looks equally promising too. With we've done it on our own and not gone with the Viking Bus Line which only gave us 2 hrs at Budapest!

C

CMCM

Thanks for posting your beautiful photos! What a wonderful place, just an architectural delight. I've got to go visit this place!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Czech Republic is like one big fantasy land. I could I have more time for it. Easily a week wouldn't be too much.

Budapest looks equally promising too. With we've done it on our own and not gone with the Viking Bus Line which only gave us 2 hrs at Budapest!

Budapest was amazing...the Danube, Buda, Pest, the lights. I did some running around there and those experiences were memorable. I got lost early one Sunday morning-----the hotel staff were less than helpful, handed me a map with strange/long names to the streets. I was in my CXW tights, running up to ladies getting on buses as they were going to work, asking where the palace was---and was totally ignored. My Czech friend told me that this is a holdover from the Communist era---where one NEVER talked with anyone they did not know.

But when I navigated my way up the hill to the palace, it was glorious. Nobody around, just pigeons---with Madonna on my ipod, I ran through the courtyard, pigeons flew off, and I had grandiose views of Pest.

Then the next day, I ran from the Charles Bridge to Margaret's Island--middle of Danube, with trails all around.

As runs go, both those runs are right up there. Shopping was good---for 9,999 Forets, I got my favorite black dress and leggins ($50 or so on my AMEX).

Budapest is a city undergoing transformation with so many contrasting sights and people, but with still a ways to go economically and culturally, from my observations. Bratislava, Slovakia seemed much more vibrant---but again, that's just from a tourist's perspective with limited observation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna