• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Trip report II: Cruise to hell

abc

Banned
It’s Monday morning, as I drove to work for the first time in 10 days, I found myself thinking “I’m so glad I’m going to work, where I know what will happen from one day to the next, instead of fearing what new sorry story our on board Viking Program Director will tell us about the Danube that will put my time-off into yet another ordeal”! And I didn’t get up at 6 am to pack and board a bus!!!

Yep, that’s right, a vacation that wasn’t. A vacation that was worse than go to work!

We did our own diversion before boarding the Viking Legend (Ooops, I mean it’s actually the Prestige) on November 19. So we missed the cue given to the rest of the passenger during the airport transfer “You’re lucky you’ll get to cruise on two ships instead of one”:rolleyes:. But our program director Regina made sure we got that message: she repeated the joke during the welcome session, after the captain informed us the ‘small’ possibility of having to change ships. No mentioning of the lengthy bus ride to get from one ship to the other. Some laughed, believing that’s the worst we need to worry about.

We wished!

What we didn’t know but Viking did, was the water level made it impossible to get into Budapest even the previous 2 weeks. Passengers were bused from the city to the ship, losing precious touring time and seeing only highway markers instead of the advertised river views.

But we were oblivion. The joking tone of the program director was enough to hypnotize the passengers into a state of bliss. Several Viking employees enjoying their complimentary cruise also reassure us “Viking will take care of you”. Well, they’ll come to grieve their faith in their own employers.

Day 1: Nuremberg
The cruise ship dock is actually outside the city, with no easy transport into the city. The cruise line runs a bus into the city every other hour. But we arrive late enough we didn't bother. Besides, we had a full day the next day to see the city anyway. So not a great deal of motivation to run in on day 1.

Tour of the old city and a lot of the history of the Nazi rise and fall. Second world war was a distant past. Our guide reminded us how Hitler managed to lie to the whole nation and brought them to ruin. Lies… mmm…

Next we climbed up to the castle overlooking the city. It was a grey day and started drizzling. Otherwise, I bet the view would be quite nice. We did walk around the expansive ground.

The last stop was the old city center, which is quaint. We could see the building up of the Christmas market. But the market would open till next Saturday. Since we had just come from Prague, Nuremberg was kind of well, meh…

We set sail after lunch. This stretch of the cruise is actually not on the Danube, but on the canal connecting the Mien river with the Danube. We went through several ship locks. For those who never seen a lock, it's a fun experience.

DSC_0336.JPG

Day 2: Regensburg

This time (and for the only time), we dock right next to the city. So we simply walk off the ship and into the city.

Regensburg isn't very big, but is charming. A stone bridge goes across the river. Since we did our own diversion to Prague, Regensburg didn’t quite compare either. Still, it’s a lovely city. The sausages are famous, for good reason.

In the afternoon, we opted for the "optional" (read: extra cost) tour to the Turns & Taxis Palace. This is a change from all the other great palaces we've seen, because it's still using lived in by the owner Princess Gloria. So unlike most other palaces that, while looking nice, felt "dead". This palace, you can feel it's fresh and alive. Our guide was excellent in pointing out unusual items of interest. It's one of the more enjoyable destination of our cruise. And unfortunately, the last day of peace.

(Later cruises would have it for free as part of the compensation of the disaster we’ve yet to see. But for us, there’s no automatic refund. Still waiting to see if Viking will reimburse us without us having to fight to death for it)

Day 3 was when the first bomb shell dropped.

We were to be bused from Regensburg to Passau, dropped off as human cargo, left for a few hours and picked up to be bused back to the ship in Regensburg. Passau was a beautiful city with spectacular cathedral:

Passau2.jpg

DSC_0233.JPG

Passau.jpg

But instead of docking right in front of the city, walking to sights at time of our own choosing, we had to jam all our sight-seeing within the time allotted to us. And for the older passenger, it means no chance to rest up in the room before heading back out to see more of the city.

(In a couple of days, we would found out no ship had sailed from Regensburg to Passau for 2 weeks, and that includes all the Viking ships in those 2 weeks. But Viking decided that's not something they need to share with us passengers!)

Not only were we getting to Passau by bus. But we had to bus back to the ship at the end of the day, only to be bussed yet again the next morning to a spot 20 minutes beyond Passau to get on to another Viking ship, which supposedly will take us to Budapest.

(Except, again for 2 weeks, no Viking ship were able to sail into Budapest, a fact they neglected to mention)

A passenger asked the obvious question "Why are we bussing back from Passau (1 and half hour bus), only to reverse it the next morning. Why not stay in a hotel at Passau?" No. Just no.

Passenger: "Can those who doesn't want so much bussing get a hotel in Passau?"

Viking staff: "It would be at your own expense"

Passenger: "We pay premium to be on a cruise so we don't have to sit on buses for hours. Is there any compensation for this change?" (free drinks, for example, I thought)

Staff: "you'll have to take it up with the head office"

Yeah, right. We were in Germany and WE had to contact head office, individually over satellite phone? :eek:

At the end of that stressful day, we needed to pack for an early departure on bus, to the Legend which was docked just shy of Passau. Why we couldn’t board it the previous night, without having to waste time bussing back to the Prestige at Regensburg was entirely beyond me.

Worse, some of us also found out the Legend passengers had to be bused out of Budapest to the ship. So we knew what fate was waiting for us. The rest of the passengers were still faithful to “Viking will take care of us”. Well, a bus trip is Viking’s way of “taking care of” their customers!!! If I want a bus trip, I could have done that for less than half of what I handed over to Viking!

But I didn’t want a bus trip, period!

Whatever the price, I didn’t sign up for a 5 day bus trip!:fear:

Day 4 was when it all went to hell.

The day after Passau was supposed to be sailing half day in the most beautiful stretch of the Danube Valley, follow by a visit to a spectacular Abby. Instead:

The afternoon of day 4 consist of a 3 hr bus ride to Melk, an hour spend touring the Abbey at Melk, followed by an hr on the bus to Linz. By then it’s totally dark. The ship up anchor immediately and in darkness, we sailed through the most spectacular part of the Danube without having a glimpse of its beautiful sight, we arrived at Vienna late at night.:mad:

So all of day 4 consist of 6 hrs of bus ride and a one hour tour of the Abbey at Melk!

After our 2 hr morning bus ride to the Legend, we were told we would be bused into Budapest. Though this didn’t surprise some of us, others were totally taken aback. They believed what they were initially told, that the change from Prestige to Legend would be the only change to the program, not turning the rest of the cruise into a bus trip!!! Some harsh words were exchanged. The meeting broke up in anger! Many of us were angry Viking purposely misled us!

The internet on the Legend never worked. Conveniently stopped people from complaining on the internet or warn customer on next week’s tour.

Day 5, Vienna
Vienna is a beautiful city. I know because I've been there before. I just never had enough of it! So coming back to visit, I had in mind to walk around its Christmas market this time of year.

Before we learned of the diversion, we signed up for TWO optional tours. (now I see why they didn't tell us about the diversion, many of us would NOT have signed up for those extra tours given the lack of free time)

There's an optional concert in the evening we signed up (and paid extra for) was only ok, way over-priced. But we signed up and wasn’t told we could cancel till late. I would have preferred to use the time to walk around the Christmas market instead. For the most part, Vienna felt like a forced march: eat, board tour bus, eat, board bus again, eat, board bus… No time to relax or reflect.

(My appology: I haven't gone through all the photos yet. The rest will come in a day or so. )

abc

Banned
Day 6: Bus to Budapest

So our last day was supposed to be the high point of the trip: waking up in the heart of Budapest in the comfort of our own floating hotel!

If only there's water, like 3 weeks ago, that is.

First thing, we’ve been using a radio system for guided tours for all the previous days so the guides didn’t have to shout and the passengers don’t have to crowd in a clump around the guide. But on this last day, we were told not to bring the radio receiver because we would not be returning to the ship at the end of the day. I guess Viking was worried some angry passengers might take the radio as a revenge? That, has strong repercussion in the robbing the last bit of enjoyment out of the passengers!

Get up crack of dawn to pack, board bus for a 3 hr trip into Budapest. Lunch was 2 and half hour long! (and we had to pay for our own drink at lunch!:rolleyes:) That left us with only 2 hour of day light to see Budapest, rather than the full day originally scheduled. Why must the lunch take 2 and half hours?????

There’s also Christmas market at Budapest. I think the idea of the 2 ½ hr lunch had a lot to do with letting people do some shopping since it’s our last day. But I found the goods for sale there, though cheap, were not very good in quality. I guess we were spoiled by the one at the Schronburn Palace at Vienna, which even though smaller, had much better merchandise.

The guide at Budapest was silent as a grave for 2 of the 4 hour tour (the second 2 hr would be after dark). At first, we thought he spoke too softly because we didn’t have the radio any more. But one of us walked up to him and asked what the beautiful building we just passed was. His answer: “just a church”! Then, 10 minutes before 5, the closing time for the Matya church, the most interesting church of the entire trip, he neglected the mention the church closes at 5! So when several of us try to buy ticket to enter the church, we were informed “it’s closed”.

Things really went to hell on our last day!

(Day 7 is transfer day. But that’s for those of us who're leaving. Passenger who booked the Budapest extension will have to endure yet one last indignation: they had to pack up one more time to be transfer from the Le Maridian we were staying to the Hilton they were originally booked for the extension. That's 4 pakcing and unpacking in a 8 day 'cruise'! Viking “offered” them to stay at the Maridien for the entire extension, though keep in mind it’s at a less convenient location than the Hilton. Request to spend that night at the Hilton to avoid the additional packing/unpacking was denied. They soon figured out, Viking didn’t want them to bump into the passenger for the upcoming week’s cruise and spoil the surprise!)

In conclusion, we saw many fabulous churches and palaces. Those are provided by the host country of Germany, Austria and Hungary.

Viking provided BUSES for us to "cruise" on. And yes, a ship for us to sleep in, far far away from the city center we were supposed to be docked! It's like we paid top dollar to stay in the city, and Viking "take care of" us by letting us stay out in the 'burbs for the same price.

altagirl

Staff member
Ugh - sorry to hear that. Having done one bus tour before, I feel your pain. And that was pretty much the end of organized tours for me - I'd rather wander around by myself with a guidebook. I don't think there's anything as frustrating as being trapped on someone else's schedule while the sights you want to see are whizzing by or on a different route.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ah no. Sounds pretty awful. Sorry to hear that everything was so disorganized.

abc

Banned
Ugh - sorry to hear that. Having done one bus tour before, I feel your pain. And that was pretty much the end of organized tours for me - I'd rather wander around by myself with a guidebook. I don't think there's anything as frustrating as being trapped on someone else's schedule while the sights you want to see are whizzing by or on a different route.
Especially when that schedule was ad hoc and totally different from what one is buying in!

I wouldn't normally do organize tours and preferring to wing it. But I was traveling with my Mom, who's quite paranoid about everything unplanned. So the structured nature of the cruise is actually more her style.

So when the change happened, she felt it the worst! She was nearly in tears when her bus (I went for the walking version) came back at the end of her Budapest "twilight" tour!

Viking is advertising heavily, including on this site. They managed to fill their boat even at this off-season. Their attitude was very condescending, like we had to thank them for putting us on the bus! Had they just canceled the cruise, we would have had the chance to get our money back, which would have been 100% better! No, make that 200% better, for I lost a week of vacation time not seeing half the sight!

Christy

Angel Diva
Sorry things went so wrong. Your pictures are gorgeous, though!

If you wanted to spread the word about your Viking experiences, there are dedicated cruise forums on travel boards like Fodor's and Trip Advisor--I imagine people would be interested to hear your experiences. If you want to read a funny story about a cruise gone wrong, check out Tina Fey's book and read about her honeymoon.

abc

Banned
There're a whole bunch of complains on cruisecritic.com already before we even got off the ship! (I added my contribution just as well)

Viking turned out to be one of the worst in customer complain in this particular draught stretch.

I didn't see much about cruise on tripadvisor but will take a look at Fodors, just for kicks.

Being from New York City. We do have a pretty large (and visible) platform: full of well healed seniors who doesn't want to pack and unpack in their vacation. Now they're all sworn off Viking the bus line.:wink:

abc

Banned
Thanks for the heads up!

Though I see there're only a couple of post on it for all of November. Not a huge amount of traffic. (I already see a Viking complain there too! ;) )

RuthB

Angel Diva
Sorry you and your mum had such a mess of a not-cruise abc. Is Viking a US based company? or have an office in the US? The reason I ask is that I read this article https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/6104298/When-online-bookings-go-wrong from the travel guy at the Sydney Morning Herald yesterday and thought about you, and thought that if Viking is registered in the US then could you also follow it up through your consumer rights organisation/legislation if you have one as the product that they delivered was clearly not what you purchased.

Other than that, are you or do you know any aspiring musicians / movie makers, maybe you should do a you-tube clip like the guy who got his guitar broken by United airlines. Joking aside it does seem that using social media, blogs etc does seem to be an effective way of getting attention that might get you and your mum some appropriate compensation and help others to avoid having the same happen to them.

abc

Banned
Thanks, RuthB.

The idea of you clip is interesting. I don't know one right off the top of my head. But I'll drop the idea to one of the cruise passenger who happened to be a musician!:thumbsup:

Yes, there's the state attorney general of California (where Viking has an office) that's been suggested. I will look that up and formulate a letter of complain. Viking's owner is Norwegien. So I suspect it maybe registered in the EU, which has its own rules about passenger rights. I'll be asking about that in another forum.

There're quite many passengers affected. (turned out it's not just the Danube, but the Rhine was also affected). I'm also considering starting a facebook group to get as many of those affected together (except I haven't even used facebook before:embarrassed:).

If it's just me, I'd probably just take Viking's offer and move on. But I can't get over them ruining my Mom's holiday! (And think about all the other senior's on board, how many of them will never have another chance to go see Budapest?)

RuthB

Angel Diva
The idea of you clip is interesting. I don't know one right off the top of my head. But I'll drop the idea to one of the cruise passenger who happened to be a musician!:thumbsup:

Maine ski lady posted something about it somewhere on here at some point. Here's the story https://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2009/jul/23/youtube-united-breaks-guitars-video

Maybe Dave Carroll could write you a song

I'm also considering starting a facebook group to get as many of those affected together (except I haven't even used facebook before:embarrassed:).

You'll be fine, it's not too bad, and heaps of divas are on facebook, so there's help if you need it.

If it's just me, I'd probably just take Viking's offer and move on. But I can't get over them ruining my Mom's holiday! (And think about all the other senior's on board, how many of them will never have another chance to go see Budapest?)

Yeah, this is what got me the most, why do these companies prey on peoples mums and seniors who they know are less likely to make a fuss - it makes these companies bullies imho. Good on you for doing something on behalf of your mum (and the other seniors). I'm like you I would probably take the offer and move on, but you know what you have to stick up for you sometimes, based on your post these guys gave you really crappy service and a rubbish substitute for what you had booked.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Maine ski lady posted something about it somewhere on here at some point.
Re-posted for your viewing pleasure. Made him famous. And, yes, he did get satisfaction and now has a good relationship with aforementioned air carrier. Met him in 2010, great guy.

Hey -- whatever works?

[YOUTUBE]5YGc4zOqozo[/YOUTUBE]

abc

Banned
As promised, more pictures of the (next to the last) day at Vienna, a most beautiful city.

This is the place where I first conceive the idea of cruising the Danube 20 years ago. (and maybe in another 20 years, I WILL cruise the Danube from Vienna to Budapest instead of going by BUS!)

(this church is right off the dock!)
DSC_0399.JPG

Christmas market in front of Rathaus:
DSC_0355.JPG

The palace of the Habsburgs:
DSC_0368.JPG

DSC_0365.JPG

Street corner:
DSC_0380.JPG

Street wearing Christmas decoration:
DSC_0373.JPG

(wish I could photograph it when the lights on. But we had to pack for next morning's "Viking Bus tour")

Obligatory cathedral:
DSC_0390.JPG

DSC_0394.JPG

DSC_03821.JPG

In the afternoon, we went to the gorgeous Schronnbon Palace:
DSC_04061.JPG

The lovely garden with many sculptures out back:
DSC_04091.JPG

Christmas market in the courtyard:
DSC_04131.JPG

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Beautiful pics, reminds me of our Viking Danube cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam in 2009---the Christmas markets and all. Luckily, we had smooth sailing, so to speak. How frustrating to invest time/money in a trip like this and have such troubles.

abc

Banned
Vienna is my all time favorate city! (it's also my 1st European city visited).

How frustrating to invest time/money in a trip like this and have such troubles.
The actual hassle is only half the issue. Viking acted as though we owe them for their substituted bus tour! :rolleyes::eek:

abc

Banned
Last day: Budapest

All the photos are night shots!

Why? The Viking fleet of buses took all morning (with a 1/2 hr piss stop) to get from Vienna to Budapest. That was followed by the longest lunch I've had: 2 1/2 hrs! The local guide send the group into an indoor market for yet another hr. By then, day had turned into night!

In twilight, the old train station is now an indoor market:
DSC_0425.JPG

Spices in the market:
DSC_0434.JPG

Up in the Castle district, the gate to the palace:
DSC_04441.JPG

The most famous landmark in the castle district (Massiah church, the church the local guide "neglected" to told us closes in 10 minutes :( ):
DSC_0453.JPG

DSC_0476.JPG

The fairy tale castle itself:
DSC_0475.JPG

DSC_0486.JPG

DSC_0463.JPG

Looking across the river, at the Parliment building on the Pest side:
DSC_0470.JPG

The same Parliment building close up:
DSC_0514.JPG

The famous "Chain Bridge" with the castle district at a distant background:
DSC_0495.JPG

Christmas market:
DSC_0520.JPG

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Y'know, abc, I know that things didn't go as smoothly as you would've liked during your trip, but you sure saw some wonderful things. Your pictures are terrific. Thanks for sharing them with us.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hate to post this, but we spent two nights in the Viking boat moored under the Charles bridge on the Danube.....not to rub it in, but your pics brought back memories. A great city.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna