• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tri Training Question

amanda

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okay ladies I need you input. I am training with a friend for the Crescent Moon Sprint Triathalon on September 19th. My friend designed our training schedule based on one she found online but I'm feeling like it is total overkill and I don't think I will have the time or patience to maintain it all summer long. So I'm looking for your opinions. I'm ommitting the number of minutes for each activity, but here is what we are doing now:

Sunday - Run
Monday - Swim and Bike
Tuesday - Run
Wednesday - Run and Bike
Thursday - Swim
Friday - Swim and Bike
Saturday - Off

I'm thinking I'd like to change my training schedule to this:

Sunday - Run
Monday - Swim and Bike
Tuesday - Run
Wednesday - Off
Thursday - Swim
Friday - Bike
Saturday - Off

I will probably switch back to a more intense training schedule like my friend's when we get to August. I also commute the 3 miles to work by bike most days so I will actually be doing more biking than is on the schedule.

Do you think my new training plan is sufficient until we get closer to September? Or is my friend's intense training plan really what is necessary?
I'm not gunning to come in first, I just want to be able to finish the tri in a somewhat respectable time without feeling like I lost a lung somewhere along the way.

I just don't really feel like I have the time for the schedule we are using now, especially since DBF will be studying for the Bar exam this summer and I will be responsible for pretty much all household and dog related duties. But I don't want to give up altogether. I figure there has to be some sort of happy medium that will allow me to deal with my real world responsibilities, have a some time to relax, and still train for the tri. Thanks in advance for any input you can offer!

skiester

Certified Ski Diva
Well, having 2 days off sounds good to me. I am not a tri athlete, but I have always learned that taking rest is as important as training. Especially if you are pushing it hard!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think you're fine. I barely trained for my first tri, and I completed it and didn't die. :p I would try to run 3-4 times a week and get 1-2 of the other disciplines in as your schedule permits. Overtrain the distances for each discipline individually, and you shouldn't really need to worry about doing brick workouts, either. Get a couple of runs in off the bike before the race, just to get used to the sensation of running on dead legs.

I try to run 3-4 days a week, swim at least once (although I've been horrible at this lately), and bike once or twice (including spin class, I count that as a bike workout). I call it a good week if I've gotten all that in.

To be completely honest, sprint distances (while still a huge accomplishment) don't require hard-core, serious training. You may not do fantastic, but you can do it and finish without much training as long as you're in semi-decent shape. If you get a chance this summer, go watch the Danskin tri or Tri for the Cure. You'll see all different shapes, sizes, and ages of women doing a a sprint distance triathlon. And you'll look at some of them and think "Hey...if she can do it, I definitely can!"

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Obviously there are nearly as many tri training plans as there are triathletes. My ideal for me plan is Run 3x per week, Swim 2x, Bike 2x and strength 1x with my strength being the first thing that goes. Your plan will likely work for you and as itri says, getting ready for a sprint distance isn't all that intensive if you're in reasonably good shape (and you are). In fact, your friend may end up burning out by trying to go that hard that fast. But of course each person is different and your friend may be fine.

skiester

Certified Ski Diva
as I said - rest is good. as for what robyn said: unless you are in already a great condition, strength training helps you fight injuries, that would not be my first choice as a first that goes.. But then, I am not training for a tri...

And in Holland we have a saying: the best sailors are standing on the land...

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
as I said - rest is good. as for what robyn said: unless you are in already a great condition, strength training helps you fight injuries, that would not be my first choice as a first that goes.. But then, I am not training for a tri...

And in Holland we have a saying: the best sailors are standing on the land...

There is a lot of debate in the triathlon world on this subject which I won't get into here but many triathletes do no strength training (as in weight lifting) and get all resistance work in their s/b/r training through their swim bike run workouts via types of workouts including hills, intervals, paddles and fins etc.

PNWSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is a great thread for me since I am doing a sprint tri in July and have been training but wasn't really sure what to do. It has been more out of laziness, I have not wanted to sit down and write something down. I've just been making sure I do it all in a week.

skiester

Certified Ski Diva
@Robyn: my 2 cents:

training with weights I would not do, I mean more training with the elastic cord, and strength training like Yoga and Pilates. Beefier muscles is not what you need, stronger core stability and muscles is what you need to fight injuries

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Robyn: my 2 cents:

training with weights I would not do, I mean more training with the elastic cord, and strength training like Yoga and Pilates. Beefier muscles is not what you need, stronger core stability and muscles is what you need to fight injuries
I really don't want to argue here but suffice it to say I have spent hours upon hours researching my training plan, working with my triathlon coach and making decisions about what benefits my training and body better. Triathlon is an interesting sport that includes a lot of intricacies based upon the combination of working 3 sports together that is tough to understand even for someone who has invested the time to research.

I know you mean well and I thank you for that.

skiester

Certified Ski Diva
NOOO, sorry I did not mean to argue!! Just wanted to explain what I meant by strength, that's all! (I am not a native English speaker so sometimes stuff comes over different that meant..:( )

Respect for actually doing and training for a tri!

ski.like.a.girl

Certified Ski Diva
I think your plan is good. I did a mock tri yesterday, sprint distance, not timed. My first. It was only the third time I had been on my bike all year. Too busy skiing!! I had been cross training, weights, yoga, running, and swimming. It was great and I feel fine today. A little tired but not sore. I'm taking an open water swim clinic next week. I plan to train more for my next race.
Have fun!

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll agree with itri on this one. Most people, in a reasonable state of fitness, can complete a sprint tri. If it's your first one, don't set a time goal, just compete to complete. Decide if it's something you want to do again and then you look into training plans to help with being faster, if that's what you want to do.

I don't know where your race is, but make sure you do some open water swims before race day. I've seen way too many people fall apart in the first leg because they have no OWS experience.

I doubt you need to do two workouts a day more than a couple of times. Those two-a-days should be a bike/run brick so you know what to expect from your legs when you run off the bike. Also, the more often you DO run off the bike, the easier it gets. You'll get over that spaghetti-leg feeling faster with more practice.

And don't forget to have fun!! :smile:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly