• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tri question

Pandita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I am interested in doing an Iron GIRL tri. I realize that this is minimal distance, but I have never swam in a non pool setting or ever ran more than 5K in my life. I did do a century ride this year, so biking I know I can do. I can swim about 1200 in about 40 minutes. I am just looking for some advice on how to start training, which is a nice tri to start out with. I live in DC.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are quite a few ladies here who are really into the tris and i'm sure they can also give you advice. When I started, I went to beginnertriathlete.com. I know some folks don't like the website, but I am a big fan of the training logs there. They also have an assortment of free training plans and a wealth of info on the forums to give you an idea of how to get into the training and get prepared for your first tri.

Do not underestimate the crappiness of your first brick (run after biking). It helps to practice this before the event!!

Bing

Angel Diva
https://www.beginnertriathlete.com/ is a good website that can help you get an idea of how to train for tris.

I tri'd for 10 wonderful seasons & it was a blast - the variety of training is awesome as you don't ever get bored !!

My advice is start at a very short distance and work up (or not) from there - don't start with an Ironman, you need to get a feel for how the whole thing meshes together before you bump up the distance.

Tri Hard !

Bing

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sign up early. These things sell out fast. From what I know, the Columbia Iron Girl is a very supportive environment. Identify a pool where you can regularly train. Maybe find a training buddy. As for the running, one step at a time. :smile:

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
yet another vote for BT. I tri'd for almost 10 years as well and was around for the inception of BT and I have to say it has come a long way. Great plans, great logs, and lots of great people. Probably some not so great as well, but it is a well-moderated site.

I started with a Danskin and was hooked. I had no swim training, had trained for and run a few marathons, and knew how to ride a bike. Looking back I'm surprised I even finished the Danskin because my swim was so bad. Didn't even know how to do a flutter kick so I think I probably breast stroked the whole thing.

I've done races at every level except IM. Just never did appeal to me. Swimming turned out to be my favorite leg, but I just could not make myself do 4000+ yards in a pool too often. Now I've done 5K swim races, century bike rides and marathons, just never on the same day and I'm ok with that!

So yeah, start short, maybe take some swim lessons if you decide to work on that. Swimming is more about form and function than the other disciplines and having someone watch you helps.

And most of all have fun and watch out, because it is addicting! One race leads to another LOL

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
The one thing that really helped me was getting some open water swim practice in. It sounds like you're a good swimmer, but swimming in open water is a lot different and it's worth getting familiar with it beforehand.

You can either just find somewhere to go practice (I just go to the beach here, YMMV) or sign up for a class through a local tri club or tri/swim shop. I took a one-day open water swim class through a local tri shop for something like $55 and it was REALLY helpful.

You can also try to sign up for a race that (1) has a current that you swim with (i.e. in a river vs a lake), or (2) is in salt water. Both things will make the swim easier. Just things to keep in mind.

Basically you want to have the number of unknowns on race day be as small as humanly possible. :smile: Tris are super fun! You're gonna love it.

Shannon D

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yay Pandita. Trying new things is scary, but so fun and rewarding too. Irongirl would be a terrific first race. I haven't raced that brand, but I've done Danskin and another women's only race a couple of times. The women's only races are a great way to get into the sport because they typically offer a very supportive enviromnment and the ratio of first-timers will be significantly higher than at other coed events.

My 2 cents:
1. As others posted below, beginnertriathlete is really good. They have good beginner training plans with swim workouts, etc.
2. Rachel is right on the money. A little bit of open water experience goes a long way. One of my favorite bloggers DC Rainmaker, https://www.dcrainmaker.com/p/washington-dc-resources.html is in DC and has a whole section of his blog dedicated to tri resources around DC, especially as it relates to open water swimming. Just remember, never go alone.
3. Do you have any friends you might be able to convince, blackmail, or otherwise to do it with you? Having a support system and someone to work out with can give a huge boost.
4. Many races offer resources to participants, for example, they may run an open water swim clinic or transition clinic. Be sure to use whatever you need. My first tri, Tri for the Cure offered a free training plan right on the website that I used.

Is Columbia, MD near DC? If so, I found this: https://www.tricolumbia.org/IronGirl/

Getting into tris has definately changed my life for the better!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna