• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tremblant - tri

Jilly

Staff member
Tremblant announced today that they have been awarded a world Ironman tri next August/2012.

I just might have to take a long weekend and volunteer for that!! Never been to one, so it might be a good idea. Just watched one from Spain on the weekend.

itri, lovebug - you interested in coming to Canada?

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The buzz in the tri world is pretty high on this one. Lots of people excited by an eastern Canada IM and I thought about you when I heard the location. I wanted to volunteer at the new one in TX that happened in May but I just couldn't get my schedule together. For prime jobs you need to volunteer early. But, being that you kayak you could be a rescue boat. Other prime jobs are in transition and as a "catcher" at the finish line.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You absolutely should volunteer, Jilly! It's really rewarding (and awe-inspiring), even if you have no interest in actually doing one yourself.

A full IM isn't in the cards for me for at least a couple more years, but maybe...that location would be (semi)drivable for my family, at least!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There isn't another Ironman branded iron distance (total of 140.6 miles) tri in eastern Canada.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As far as I know, the only other full Ironman race in the east is Lake Placid. Rev3 has an iron distance race in Ohio at Cedar Point, but that's about it, I think!

Shannon D

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was looking at the course maps yesterday and it looks like a pretty challenging race. It's on my birthday, so of course I thought, "Hmm, Ironman next year?" and then I remembered that I'm really not quite ready to commit my entire life to a race.

The other Canadian M-Dot race is IM Canada in Penticon (sp), British Columbia.

Jilly - That would be so cool to volunteer. I wish we had an IM closer so that I could volunteer. I get choked up at the finish line of a marathon, I think that the energy around an IM might put me over the edge.

Jilly

Staff member
I'm going to keep my eye on the website for the volunteer info. Usually any event at Tremblant comes on their site too, but Tremblant isn't running this thing, just supplying the area. I don't think anything will come up till late winter.

As for the kayak, good thing I'm taking some courses this summer. But I think they would also want lifeguard training too. My RLS/ Bronze Medallion, expired about 30 years ago. But I think the whole thing would be fun for a day. It's DH's birthday weekend, so why not go away for change.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As far as I know, the only other full Ironman race in the east is Lake Placid. Rev3 has an iron distance race in Ohio at Cedar Point, but that's about it, I think!

Ironman Manhattan was just announced. It will be just a week or 2 before Ironman Mont Tremblant. There's also IM Florida in the east. Rumor has it that Lake Placid is going to be discontinued.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Word on the street is that the entry fee for IM NY is going to be upwards of $750, probably at least $1000 due to the costs involved in securing permits, barges for the swim, paying police, etc. :eek:

Ironman is already expensive (most North American full-length IM are $575), but nearly double? Ouch!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
That's a bummer, but I can't say I'm really surprised. I didn't even know regular IM entries were $500+. Yikes!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Registration fee for IM NY was $895, and it sold out in less than 15 minutes! :jaw:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As for the kayak, good thing I'm taking some courses this summer. But I think they would also want lifeguard training too. My RLS/ Bronze Medallion, expired about 30 years ago.

On the lifeguard training -- maybe, maybe not. I know kayakers who have served in this function (although not at an Ironman), and I don't think they've had any lifeguard cert. A lot of times the kayaks are there for swimmers to hang on to if they get tired, rather than full-on rescue situations.

I volunteered at an aid station at an ITU Tri a few years ago. A good hand-off is hard to do! I flubbed a later one to the mayor, and he was not a good sport about it. So I didn't vote for him.

CIMG2187.JPG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna