• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tree well safety and deep snow immersion

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's an interview with the boarder and the skier who did the rescue. The rescue in the backcountry at Mt. Baker happened on March 3, 2023 but the video wasn't posted to YouTube until last week. The skier, Francis Zuber, is a professional photographer and very experienced backcountry skier.

March 30, 2023

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snow Immersion Suffocation (SIS) because someone ends up in a tree well doesn't normally get major headlines since it doesn't happen as often as a fatality due to an avalanche. While not all SIS deaths are due to tree wells, that's the case for more than half. This article includes comments from the long time head of ski patrol at Crystal in WA who has been tracking SIS deaths informally for a while. There is clear advice at the end of the article.

January 2023
" . . .
[description of what creates a tree well] The fuzzy green branches of a pine tree often obscure the well created by the trunk, which can be several feet deep, depending on the height of the snowpack. Loose snow in the pit can act like quicksand for an unlucky person who falls in headfirst. Gravity simply pulls a person’s body downward, until the loose snow covers his or her airways to the nose and mouth.
. . ."

The Deep Snow Safety website was created around 2016 because of the lack of awareness about SIS. Probably more important for resort skiers who ski trees to understand the risks of SIS than avalanche awareness. Even trees near blue groomers can be dangerous when there is unusually deep snow.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Deep Snow Safety website was created around 2016 because of the lack of awareness about SIS. Probably more important for resort skiers who ski trees to understand the risks of SIS than avalanche awareness. Even trees near blue groomers can be dangerous when there is unusually deep snow.

Home :: Tree Well and Snow Immersion Suffocation (SIS)
I realized that the video on the homepage of Deep Snow Safety was done by managers for ski patrol at Mt. Baker and Paul Baugher, who was the head of ski patrol at Crystal back then. He provided the interview linked in Post #23. The video was probably done towards the end of the 2011-12 season when Mt. Baker had a season total of 857 inches.

uploaded October 2012

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Man, it's so scary, especially cause both my son and husband love the trails off piste. I don't ever let them go without someone else shadowing them.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, up until a few days I never even knew this was a thing and now it kind of freaks me out a bit - mainly for my kids who are at the (dare I say it ) adventurous but stupid age where risks are something they don't really think about, and they love tree skiing!

Now, we've booked to go to Big White in January (wheeee!) In that area is this a known hazard?

shadoj

Angel Diva
Wow, up until a few days I never even knew this was a thing and now it kind of freaks me out a bit - mainly for my kids who are at the (dare I say it ) adventurous but stupid age where risks are something they don't really think about, and they love tree skiing!

Now, we've booked to go to Big White in January (wheeee!) In that area is this a known hazard?
Yep. Conifers + heavy snowfall. Take a look:

Have fun -- have heard amazing things about the terrain and vibe :smile:

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have fun -- have heard amazing things about the terrain and vibe :smile:
Thank you so much!

The mountain has a snow host program where you get a free guide for a couple of hours, I've contacted them to ask specifically if they are able to give a safety run down on these things.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was in a conundrum today, because it was DEEP, light was flat, and I was alone. So, I wanted to be near the trees for visibility, but I had to be very careful. I stayed near busy areas although it would still be easy to disappear into a tree well.

Attachments

• 3F132EE3-8739-43D1-BF79-F2EDE77B43FA.jpeg
    3F132EE3-8739-43D1-BF79-F2EDE77B43FA.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 182E72BF-1002-4A7A-A19A-209D12126BD3.jpeg
    182E72BF-1002-4A7A-A19A-209D12126BD3.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 12

Christy

Angel Diva
The two guys are friends now and they threw out the first pitch at the Mariners game the other day. They played the video of the rescue on the big screen which seems like a good PSA. Ian (rescued guy) said he was going to throw it as hard as he could, and "if anything goes wrong, I got Francis here to save me." Lol.

marzNC

Angel Diva
:bump:
Unfortunately there was a tree well fatality in Canada in early March that reminded me of this thread. It's important even with recent low snow levels to be aware of the danger after a deep snowstorm in March.

SkiUtah has a good webpage that includes info from Deep Snow Safety.

January 2024
Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 8.43.29 PM.png

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tree wells are dangerous, but statistically, hitting a tree is a greater risk. That statistic is actually for people on blue runs, who impact a tree. I like to think about probability and keep that one in my head whenever conditions are firm and a slide for life situation is likely.

I am not overly optimistic about being able to dig out a full sized human in a tree well on my own after side stepping uphill to reach them, both in terms of cardio, and more importantly strength. Especially without a shovel! However knowing the name of the run or tree area is critical for anyone skiing trees to get immediate patrol assistance with extrication.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna