• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Traveling with gear on Air Canada

Liskigal

Diva in Training
Hi - I’m new and hoping to get some first hand info....
I’m going from NYC to Banff in March. The last few years on other airlines I’ve been packing my boot bag with helmet and whatever clothes I can fit in & putting my boots in my carry-on. Using this system I can travel w just boot bag, ski tube and 1 piece of carry-on. I’ve been reading about Air Canada’s policies - has anyone flown with them recently? Do they actually check the contents of boot bags?? And if I do use my boot bag as a boot bag, are they gonna charge more because I’ve also got my helmet in there?
Thanks for any info!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I have flown domestically between Montreal and Calgary and did not have any issues with checking my ski tube stuffed with clothes in addition to skis. I always brought my boot bag as my "purse."

I haven't had any experiences trying to check a boot bag stuffed with just clothes - sorry I can't be more helpful!

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think it all depends on the agent you get. I have never flown with air canada but what I have found is they are more concerned about weight than the content of your bag. I always fly with a ski bag (with clothing in it too) and boot bag that count as one piece of luggage you have to pay for. Those two together need to be under the weight limit. Flying out I never actually have my boots in the boot bag because I dont check them on the way to ski, I dont need them getting lost.

angelaskis

Certified Ski Diva
I second the flying w/ the boot bag as a purse - it makes some of my usual travel carry on items a little less accessible but works fine!

We flew Air Canada for our Whistler trip last year and they did not check the contents of our boot/ski bags at check in (though we did indeed use the boot bag for boots).

Liskigal

Diva in Training
Thanks - I was a little concerned about that too (boot bag as purse) since that would exceed the allowable purse size. Most airlines use the guideline that it must fit under the seat. AC is VERY specific.

Jilly

Staff member
Air Canada is a PITA and I try not to fly them. What type of boot bag do you have?

Liskigal

Diva in Training
It’s an organized trip, so didn’t have a choice. I have a Dakine narrow backpack. Boots in bottom and helmet in top pouch and a front pocket for other accessories. I’m trying to avoid doing a second checked bag.

SnowSeeker

Angel Diva
We flew Air Canada to Calgary in November. They weighed our large rolling ski bag (which contained multiple pairs of skis, snow boots, and more) but they did not check inside the bag. I would be sure to keep it under the maximum weight so they aren’t tempted to check. We carried on our boot bags, which is our usual practice in case baggage is lost. Based on our experience, I would not trust them with checked boots. Our return flight was canceled and they were very unhelpful (for example, they lost our ski gear for a few hours). It was a long drive home to CT from Montreal, where they stranded us. When all goes well, they are fine to deal with and the on-flight staff are nice. When it doesn’t go well, they test your patience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly