• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Trapeze!?!

Jenny

Angel Diva
For any Michigan Divas interested - I just saw in a magazine that they're having a 2-hour class at Boyne this August. Maybe combined with some spa thing. Anyway, I still have the mag if anyone wants details.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For any Michigan Divas interested - I just saw in a magazine that they're having a 2-hour class at Boyne this August. Maybe combined with some spa thing. Anyway, I still have the mag if anyone wants details.

If that's a yearly thing, I'd be interested for another time. Midwest diva trapeze GTG?

Jenny

Angel Diva
I honestly have no idea whether it's yearly or not. It's one of those things where I was reading this thread and then the next thing I know this magazine turns up in my mail and there's this ad! If it hadn't been for this thread I probably wouldn't have even noticed it.

Ever notice how stuff like that happens?

We should monitor this for next year, though.

Jenny

Angel Diva
OK - My husband and I signed up for a session on August 15th. So I'll let you know how it goes.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm looking forward to the TR, Jenny!

Boyne's not *that* far away....maybe next year....

Jenny

Angel Diva
And with the divas I could get the spa treatment, too (part of a package)! I didn't think Jim would be interested in that, though.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
funny-pictures-trapeze-kitten-has-an-unskilled-partner.jpg

I have to admit I didn't create this, just saw it posted there.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Question for Kimmyt

Any suggestions on what to wear for this? Do I want the back of my knees covered?

I'm figuring yoga wear would be good, but some of the capri length pants might get bunched up behind my knees so I don't know whether to go shorter or longer.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Jenny, I just did my second day of trapeze class yesterday with a group of climbing friends. I find it best to wear flexible clothes that will protect the back of your knees. I wore cotton capri tights that went to mid-calf and a tank top, something I wouldn't fall out of it I was hanging upside down. Some of my friends wore semi-baggy capris (it's best if they are not too voluminous around your feet so you don't get tangled on the bar) and they didn't have a problem. You can wear socks if thats how you're most comfortable, but I ended up going barefoot anyway, and make sure your forearms are exposed in the event that you get to try a catch (you'll need to chalk and the catcher will grab you on your forearms).

Have fun!!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Thanks. I didn't think so much about the ankles - but my capris won't protect the back of my knees (too loose). Good excuse to go shopping, I guess!

Did you have fun today?

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It was alot of fun! I took a video at one point, I got that catch I missed last time! Vids are on google video, link below..

[ame="https://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5035858603374698174&ei=XYSfSInmJZGErgKA3r26AQ&q=kim+trapeze"]https://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5035858603374698174&ei=XYSfSInmJZGErgKA3r26AQ&q=kim+trapeze[/ame]

Jenny

Angel Diva
OK - we went and it was SO much fun!

Things I learned:

1. I don't use my trapeze muscles every day. Or probably any day, for that matter, judging by the soreness level the next couple of days.
  2. I bruise very easily.
  3. I can do it!
After we practiced on the lower bar it was time to go up the ladder. The instructors asked who wanted to go first and no one moved. So I volunteered, figuring it was better to go first before anyone could scare me out of it. And I wanted to go before my husband did.

As I climbed the ladder you could see me getting slower and slower and slower the closer to the top I got. I hate shaky ladders. And I hate transferring from the ladder to the platform. And I really hate the part where you've got the trapeze in one hand, your toes over the edge of the platform, and they say "Now let go and grab the trapeze with your other hand." Even at the end that part was still hard.

The first time they told me to go I kind of stuttered and my feet didn't move, but then I managed to actually leave the platform on only the second "ready." Once I hit the net after following all the commands, though, I had to lay there for a second to let my heart stop pounding.

We got to do the catch, which was successful, and on the third catch they had us try to turn around and recatch the bar that we'd just left. I consider it a victory that I could even see the bar I just left - at least that meant I'd managed to turn around! In reviewing the video, however, it actually looks like I had a chance at grabbing it. Next time. My ex-gymnast husband managed to get one hand on it and hold on, but he was the only one in the class that did.

On the way home Jim told me he was proud of me - which made me laugh. When I asked him at what point he thought I'd bail he said that he thought I'd have a problem letting go of the bar and hanging by my knees. Which was funny, because I never gave that part a second thought.

Can't wait to do this again!

Ski Fanatic Mom

Certified Ski Diva
Trapeze School

SOOOOOOOOO cool! I would sign up in a heart beat! The You Tube video was incredible. Your friend looked like a pro! Great write up on your blog!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly