• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Transition bags

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
So with about 2.5 weeks until my first tri, and 3 or 4 tri anxiety dreams where I forget everything in the universe that it's possible to forget, I'm starting to think about doing some test packs of my transition bag.

Is there anything I'm going to want that I might not think of the first time around? I don't have clipless pedals, so keeping in mind that I don't need cycling shoes, I'm thinking:

- 2 water bottles - one for drinking out of pre/post bike, and one for washing my feet
- towel
- sneakers
- GPS (do you guys bring your own just for kicks, or just use the chip?)
- bike helmet
- sunglasses & visor

Then on my bike will be all the necessary flat repair things, plus one more water bottle, and a bunch of clif bars/energy gels.

Am I forgetting anything obvious? Anything else that you would never think you needed until after your first race? Thanks!!! I am getting super excited. :smile:

Just for kicks, some of my tri dream highlights so far:
- stopping at my grandma's for dinner between the bike and run leg
- shaking Obama's hand during the race
- trying to fix a flat and watching my bike tire inflate to about 5x its normal size, cartoon-style
- forgetting how to swim

I suspect these dreams will only get more entertaining as the race gets closer.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not on your list:
Race bib/belt?
Socks?

I usually tape a few gels on the frame of my bike for easy use.

I always bring an extra pair of goggles for myself or the poor unfortunate soul who inevitably forgets theirs.

Suntan lotion (put on AFTER getting bodymarked so you don't smear the numbers).

Good luck! If you get paranoid, just think of the tri in stages, and go through what you need for each leg. I like to bring a few small snacks for before the swim start, sometimes you eat pretty early and by the time your wave starts the nervous energy makes you hungry. Shotblox are nice for that, because you just need one or two to feel better.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's what goes in my bag:

*Body glide
*Baby powder (to put in socks to dry up any remaining moisture)
*Goggles
*Wetsuit
*Swim cap
*Bike helmet
*Sunglasses
*Visor/hat
*Transition towel
*Race belt/number
*2 water bottles for the bike (if it's going to be really hot, try freezing them the night before, keeps them cold longer)
*Bike shoes/Running shoes
*Socks
*Sunscreen
*For longer than sprint distance: sport beans (and gu20 in my water bottles instead of water)

I think that's it, or at least the major stuff.

I do use my Garmin. I have the quick release system, so I leave it on my bike, ready to go (I don't wear mine in the water), and then switch it over to my wrist as I roll into transition. I like to have a pretty good idea of my speed/pace and where I am distance-wise on the course, otherwise I probably wouldn't bother.

I have never felt like I needed to wash my feet off, just my .02. Even the races that provide a baby pool to rinse feet in, I skip it. I wipe off anything major with my transition towel, but that's it. Never had a problem.

My doozy of a tri dream involved seeing my wave go off as I was warming up over to the side, coming into transition from the swim to find I had forgotten my bike (and all related accessories), running to the conveniently on-site REI to rent a bike (and accessories) and then being unable to find the bike course after I got a bike rented. :rolleyes:

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks!!

What's different about this race is that you check in your bike and set up your transition area the night before, so I don't know if I should pack my wetsuit/goggles/cap/etc in there or not -- it depends if they let us into the transition Sunday morning before the race. We'll get the info on all this stuff soon, but in the meantime I just wanted to make sure I had the basics covered.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, I actually had the 2009 athlete guide in my inbox as I was replying. We can get into the transition area in the morning, so that's good.

I also love the sense of humor of whoever types up the informational stuff for this race:
"We still offer psychology services at swim start if you start to flip out. Everyone in New York has a shrink. Ours are free. Enjoy the race!"

abc

Banned
I've never "done" a tri (I only run if I need to catch a bus). But I watch a few either "by accident" or on purpose (helping).

I noticed most people leave the helmet AND shoes ON THE BIKE. Practically everything they need for the cycling leg ON THE BIKE, actually. I found it amusing to see them hopping on the bike, start riding away, then start pulling their shoe straps while pedaling! ;-)

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Actually, most people DON'T leave their shoes on the bike. A lot do, sure, but it takes a LOT of practice to be able to get your shoes on while you're on the bike, and it doesn't save *that* much time. Even a lot of the elite racers around here put their shoes on before leaving transition. Those few seconds you save probably only count if you're a pro. I do take my shoes off while still on the bike, though. It probably doesn't save me much time, but it does make me feel pretty cool that I can do it. :p

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep and you can really loose a lot of time doing the shoeless mount as well as cause an accident. Don't worry about this part. I do leave my helmet on my handlebars though as it's a good way to make sure I don't leave without it which is immediate disqualification.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna