• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

trail running?

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone run in any trail running races? I'm a beginning road runner, but I find that I get bored with that, even during races. Because I like hiking, I think trail running may be a good transition for me to get out onto the trail and also to engage my brain a little. I'm contemplating running at least one trail race in a 5-mile series this spring, but I don't know what to expect...

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't, but I am friends with a bunch of folks who love them. I don't know about the series you'll be racing, but I get the drift that those trail runners are crazy folks! If I were making a generalization, I'd say that trail runners like to get really muddy and then afterwards probably kill a keg or two. They seem like they know how to have fun! And I love the names of their races!

The series near me: THe Chilly Cheeks, The Ugly Mudder, The Dirty Bird

Once I can run the distances (I just started and most of those are over 5m runs) I'll probably be signing up for a few just so I can get the tees!

K.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We've got the Backyard Burn here. Not as exciting a name as some of the other races these folks put on (ie, Cranky Monkey). I've a friend who also wants to get into ultrahiking this year -- he thinks that I'm enough of a pushover that I'll train with him! He was a nut that thru-hiked the AT and would do 20+ mile days.

I think I may volunteer for a race or two before actually doing one...then again, ignorance could be bliss!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Go ahead and do one! At the worst, you don't have any fun and don't do one again.

Just watch out for rocks, ok?

:D

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I never got out to do a trail race last season, but today I told a lunatic friend (you'll see soon why she's a lunatic) which road races I was planning on running this spring, and then she chimes in and says, "Yeah, let's do these two trail races and this adventure race, too." Five minutes later, I get an email from her: "I'm already signed up for all of them!" And I'm thinking: "But...the first race is March 30th! That's still ski season in rare parts of the free world!"

All a roundabout way of saying that I'm finally signed up for my first and second trail running races....

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yay! Something about trail running in the winter. Theres a series near me and I'm heavily considering the 7.25 mile race at the end of January.

They have an Irish band and a beer tent for after. Trail runners do seem to have the best parties....

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I never got out to do a trail race last season, but today I told a lunatic friend (you'll see soon why she's a lunatic) which road races I was planning on running this spring, and then she chimes in and says, "Yeah, let's do these two trail races and this adventure race, too." Five minutes later, I get an email from her: "I'm already signed up for all of them!" And I'm thinking: "But...the first race is March 30th! That's still ski season in rare parts of the free world!"

All a roundabout way of saying that I'm finally signed up for my first and second trail running races....

Oh man, I've always wanted to do an adventure race. Definitely keep us updated if you do it! You'll do great in the races, I'm sure. At least you'll have fun trying some new stuff. :thumbsup:

I think trail running should be considered a totally separate sport from road running. It's so much more fun!! I've been really enjoying it since I started back up a few weeks ago.

Speaking of ultrahiking - there's a few on my plate that I hope to knock off this year. I'm mostly interested in traverses - a combination of hiking, scrambling, and free climbing that covers multiple peaks. Usually 14-16 hour days with lots of elevation. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I think I have it in me.

I'm so excited to hear what everyone accomplishes this summer! So many plans in the making...

Gina23

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone run in any trail running races? I'm a beginning road runner, but I find that I get bored with that, even during races. Because I like hiking, I think trail running may be a good transition for me to get out onto the trail and also to engage my brain a little. I'm contemplating running at least one trail race in a 5-mile series this spring, but I don't know what to expect...

Yah, I ran in a couple trail races last year in the mountains. They are a nice break from road running. They are a bit more difficult due to the terrain... in my opinion I don't think I'll ever sign up for one that is > 10 miles just because you have to concentrate on getting your knees up over obstacles here and there. On one trail run last year I fell pretty hard and ended up with some of the rocky mountains embedded in my hand. I have pics of it, but I'll spare you... :eek:

O

OnAPlank

road racing really has nothing on a good trail race, or even a trail run. I would much rather be running through the woods and seeing all of the landscape that I run by instead of the double yellow line that I see everyday anyway.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've totally converted to trail running. If my knees wouldn't suffer, I'd go out every day.

It's so much more demanding than road running. You just can't check out and plan your meals or practice that difficult conversation you want to have with your boss while trail running as you can while on the road.

You have to watch every rock and root and plan where you're gonna plant that left foot, right foot ... and duck those branches and plan how to avoid continuous braking on the downhills (don't do it!!! knees won't be happy!!!), and instead think about cushioning those footsteps on the downhills (well, I do because my knees demand it), and choose which rocks for lunge off of to get more speed, and figure out which way to go in the mud, and so on and so on. Very entertaining! Oh, and it's especially fun when you get lost, or when you're first figuring out where a trail leads.

Anyone on the north shore of Boston out there? I'm learning all the trails around here, one at a time. Have got a bunch of them down by now. I can point you to the hemlock stands, the loose gravel and ledges, the BC-style elements that have been built (the terrain around here is quite gnarly, but some people just have to go overboard), the flats and the hilly sections, the muddy and the dry trails. I'd love company. I run slow!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna