• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TR Taos Ski Valley (TSV) Feb. 5-12, 2022

marzNC

Angel Diva
One of the best features of a Taos Ski Week is that afternoons are open for free skiing or rest. The advantage of going with a larger group is that finding someone compatible for afternoon skiing is usually not that hard. Either can plan ahead or just see who is around after lunch. We established 1:30 as the generic meet up time at the base of Lift 1. Usually the actual ski groups are 3-4 people. Sometimes people find each other out on the slopes. Taos isn't really that big in some ways. At least if you aren't skiing mostly blacks and double-blacks but mostly blues instead. Note that doesn't mean groomers. There are plenty of options for blue bumps to practice on.

On Wed, Jason and I took it easy and skied some runs with C-ABQ and C-DC. C-ABQ and C-DC did the ski-off on Sunday. They are pretty happy with their groups. Jason is in a Private Ski Week with me, @Bookworm, @DebbieSue working with Derek.

MarzNC with Diva Dudes from three states: C-NM, Jason-OH, C-VA
Taos 3 Diva Dudes 09Feb2022 - 1.jpeg

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Actually, I’m hoping to go early season…..
I think starting a season with a Ski Week could be a very useful idea. One season I went over MLK weekend with intermediate Divas from all over. I also did another Ski Week based on a ski-off a little later in the season. I had two different instructors. After that I've been in Private Ski Weeks with both of those instructors.

Yesterday I spent some time with C-ABQ. He's a senior from Albuquerque who only recently decided to get in more skiing after he retired. I suggested he do two Ski Weeks a season, starting with one in mid-Dec or early Jan. Meaning just before or after school winter breaks.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Note that the group lessons at Taos for adults are really quite good too. So someone who can't get away for a full week but is interested in getting to NM for 4-5 days of skiing could do that during early season. There are times when there are very experienced instructors working with intermediates or advanced skiers doing a 1-off group lesson. Given that few people at that level do any lessons, can often end up with a solo lesson or a lesson for 2 friends of similar ability. I did one the first trip in 2017 when Jason's work schedule meant he and I did a Wed-Wed trip (skied TSV Fri-Tue) so a Ski Week didn't make sense.

My impression is that the ski school for kids at TSV is very good. But don't have any first-hand experience. However, it's pretty clear that kids who learn to ski at TSV during spring break trips once a year become very good skiers when they are pretty young. Meaning by the time that are tweens, they are skiing black terrain with and without an instructor.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Note that the group lessons at Taos for adults are really quite good too. So someone who can't get away for a full week but is interested in getting to NM for 4-5 days of skiing could do that during early season. There are times when there are very experienced instructors working with intermediates or advanced skiers doing a 1-off group lesson. Given that few people at that level do any lessons, can often end up with a solo lesson or a lesson for 2 friends of similar ability. I did one the first trip in 2017 when Jason's work schedule meant he and I did a Wed-Wed trip (skied TSV Fri-Tue) so a Ski Week didn't make sense.

My impression is that the ski school for kids at TSV is very good. But don't have any first-hand experience. However, it's pretty clear that kids who learn to ski at TSV during spring break trips once a year become very good skiers when they are pretty young. Meaning by the time that are tweens, they are skiing black terrain with and without an instructor.
I’m still an intermediate or lower out west. I really want lessons but could not get them here this year. I’m giving a shout out to a Diva instructor who spent time with me locally. ❤️

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Too bad their women's clinic is so late in the year. I'm seriously considering a Taos Week next season.
You can come for a private ski week and request a female instructor. There are actually a few local divas in this group who is always taking lessons. I usually take 2 private weeks on my own and share 1-2 extra private weeks with my ski friends. You don’t even need to be in the same ski level to share the lesson. When you book a private week, you are essentially buying 15 hours of private instruction. They suggest 2.5hrs for 6 days but you can schedule it however you want. I have done 3 5-hr days, 4 3.5hr days, etc. or I have split with my friends and we each get 7.5hr of 1:1 lessons so we don’t need to accommodate anyone on what we learn.
There are also divas who come outside of diva week when the schedule works better for them, or they prefer a smaller group setting. There are plenty of options to do ski week at Taos!

Lmk92

Angel Diva
You can come for a private ski week and request a female instructor. There are actually a few local divas in this group who is always taking lessons. I usually take 2 private weeks on my own and share 1-2 extra private weeks with my ski friends. You don’t even need to be in the same ski level to share the lesson. When you book a private week, you are essentially buying 15 hours of private instruction. They suggest 2.5hrs for 6 days but you can schedule it however you want. I have done 3 5-hr days, 4 3.5hr days, etc. or I have split with my friends and we each get 7.5hr of 1:1 lessons so we don’t need to accommodate anyone on what we learn.
There are also divas who come outside of diva week when the schedule works better for them, or they prefer a smaller group setting. There are plenty of options to do ski week at Taos!
I LOVE that it's so flexible. That makes me want to go there even more. I'm sad I missed out on the opportunity to have Deb Armstrong as an instructor, though. Well, I guess I still could, if I start saving NOW.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I LOVE that it's so flexible. That makes me want to go there even more. I'm sad I missed out on the opportunity to have Deb Armstrong as an instructor, though. Well, I guess I still could, if I start saving NOW.
She is only doing Ski Strong (new this year) and PSIA clinics. I heard she was in Women’s week last year too but not sure if getting her this year is guaranteed. I am waiting for her to become available for private lessons!!

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The more I read about this, the more I want to do it!

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
She is only doing Ski Strong (new this year) and PSIA clinics. I heard she was in Women’s week last year too but not sure if getting her this year is guaranteed. I am waiting for her to become available for private lessons!!
Count me in for a Deb Armstrong opportunity!

marzNC

Angel Diva
For assorted reasons, never got back to this Taos trip report after I got home on Feb. 13. Happily that flight was uneventful. As was the case for everyone else I think.

Came across an article from a year ago about Taos in an unexpected source . . . The Aspen Times. The Oct 2021 article is a summary of the new Master Plan. Changes at TSV will continue for a few more years. Although major construction at main base is done in terms of new buildings.

The open question is what will be done with the interior of the St. Bernard. From reports, the next phase for the St. B. is based on an understanding between Jean Mayer and Louis Bacon. The St. B. condos up the hill are in VRBO but under the name Predock. They were designed by architect Antoine Predock, a long time resident of Albuquerque.

April 2021

Oct 2021

marzNC

Angel Diva
I LOVE that it's so flexible. That makes me want to go there even more.
The fact that regular Ski Weeks are available from mid-Dec through the end of March is a key reason that there are many people who go to Taos annually for years during the same week. No reservation required, but booking in advance online is encouraged. The price for the season and online booking doesn't usually become available on the website until late summer or early fall.

It's a bonus to be able to go together with a few friends for a Private Ski Week. It took me a while to come up with a compatible group of 3-4 students when most of my friends who ski fly to ABQ. There needs to be compatibility for skiing ability, personality, learning style as much as possible, and travel timing.

What's good for a couple or a group of friends is that even if some people are doing a Private Ski Week, the others can do the ski-off on Sunday and learn just as much in a regular Ski Week. If the Women's Week that is only offered once a season matches someone's travel schedule, it's a nice option. But not sure it's worth limiting the planning phase to only that week.

In my experience since the first trip in 2017, everyone benefits from a Ski Week. Doesn't matter if they are a cautious intermediate, an adventurous advanced beginner, an older advanced skier who was skiing bumps and powder on straight skis, or an intermediate/advanced skier who likes bumps but wants to ski Taos double-blacks eventually. Some difference is usually obvious by Tuesday, which is Day 3. What's really nice is that there is some change that carries over after the Ski Week is history. At least, that's been the case for me and my ski buddies.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Went to the next step today with my Ski Week group. Derek decided we were all ready for Kachina Peak. We had a very nice run down Main Street, pretty much following his line. Snow is great up there after the 37 inches last week. Bumps are big but not huge. But could use more snow. There were rocks lurking.
Later in the week when we got to the top of Lift 4, Derek gave us the choice of doing another adventure run off the Kachina lift or working more on technique somewhere else. Happily for me, all three of my friends chose to work more on technique. Jason and I have skied off the Kachina lift a few times during other trips, but for @DebbieSue and @Bookworm the run following Derek down was their first experience.

Since I was recovering from an injury (calf muscle pull a month before) and wasn't 100% and I knew how good Derek is as an instructor, my focus for this trip to Taos was to work on technique. Even in the afternoons I spent more time skiing blue groomers than usual. Derek always had a few specific drills he wanted us to work on each afternoon. Plus I wanted to ski with friends who aren't quite ready for trees and black bump terrain. I tried to ski at least a few runs with everyone on my list, which was longer than usual because most people didn't make it to Taos last season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've posted this before, but not exactly sure where . . . for people unfamiliar with Derek, here's an article from several years ago. I know of several Divas and friends who have had Derek for a Ski Week in recent years. Everyone who works with him learns a lot.

February 2016

Most, but not all, of the instructors for regular Ski Weeks are PSIA Level 3. Those who are Level 2 have decades of experience teaching. One of my favorite Ski Week instructors started out as an instructor in the children's program. The little sayings he uses as reminders for technique are easier to remember as a result.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna