• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TR Snowmass, Feb. 23-March 2, 2019

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My beau and I went to Snowmass with the Fountain Valley ski club. The lodging was at Top of the Village condos at Snowmass. Our unit was on the first (ground) floor, and it was truly ski in-ski out. OMG, it was fantastic. You go through the slider door onto the patio and walk a few yards to the run. I skied Snowmass 3 days and Aspen (Ajax) 1 day. I took 2 pairs of skis—my old Black Pearl 88's and my new Fischer Mt Mtn 80’s. Despite the great conditions we’re having now in California, due to various circumstances, it was our first trip of the season. We had great weather for most of the week, and snow for the last 2 days.

Saturday – we flew into Denver and bussed to Snowmass. Arrived after dark.

Sunday – Snowmass. It was beautiful weather and not too many crowds even though it was still the weekend. As it was the very first day of the ski season for me, I needed the familiarity of my old skis to start off with. We hooked up with an organized mountain tour, and it was well worth it for getting re-acquainted with this huge mountain. I was there 14 years ago, and while some of it was familiar, it felt new. The Trestles run, which is sort of a bridge between wider runs, now had 5’ walls along the sides to prevent people skiing off the edge. Interesting, because that’s exactly what happened to someone on my first trip out there! I made a spaghetti dinner with the condo mates.

Monday – Aspen (Ajax). Considering we had primo ski-in/out lodging, getting to Aspen via the local bus transport felt like a big schlep with skis, boot bags, etc. But it was a pilgrimage of sorts for my beau, who’d never been there before, and therefore an absolute must. Gorgeous bluebird day. First day on my new Fischers. At first I wasn’t too sure. It took a few runs to start getting a feel for them. But I grew more comfortable on them as the day progressed. For dinner, my beau grilled burgers at the condo, I made a salad, all very good.

Tuesday – I wasn’t too sore in the legs from skiing, but I had such crazy low back pain that I took the day off. Even though the condo is very nice, I think the bed was too firm and pillows too mushy. I guess it was a bad combo for me, and I found out others in the group were feeling the same way, so it wasn’t just me. Anyway, I had the Jacuzzi and pool to myself in the morning and took the opportunity to relax, stretch, and recover some mobility. Dinner was with the club group at Snowmass Base Camp Grill. All the relaxation “work” of the morning paid off—I danced my booty off that night after dinner. I probably should have dialed it back a little, but...

Wednesday – Snowmass. Beautiful weather again. Full day on the Fischers. They come around quick in a turn, and are definitely fast and fun. The club had a catered dinner at the condo gatehouse meeting room by Slow Grooves BBQ. Discussion of and lobbying for next year’s out-of-state trip destination was the main topic of conversation, along with who skied what. Decisions, decisions.

Thursday – day off with G. to visit Aspen: historical buildings, John Denver Sanctuary, viewing Aspenites, and other general sightseeing. Thanks to the Info Booth lady, we found a good lunch spot (520 Deli) and an super 5-and-10 store on the 2nd floor of Carl’s Pharmacy on Main Street that was jammed solid with anything and everything from sundries to souvenirs. In the evening, the club group gathered at the Snowmass Village Bowling Alley for various games; G. scored the “King of the Table” title at pool. A good time was had by all.

Friday – the expected storm finally came in, we woke to 8” of fresh snow. Most of the club took the day off from skiing and spent it hanging around in downtown Aspen, but G. and I had a full day out on the mountain. It was a little challenging for me—88 mm underfoot is definitely not a powder ski and it kept snowing throughout the day—but it was a great adventure and lots of fun.

Saturday – the trip home. The votes for next year's trip were tallied on the bus ride back. While the board has the final word, Vail was the top choice, despite most of the club being Ikon pass holders.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly