• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TR Massanutten Feb. 3 - epic snowstorm

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm sitting at Massanutten in northern Virginia in the middle of an epic snowstorm. Made a last minute decision yesterday to find a condo unit on the mountain. Could be up to 30 inches before it ends tomorrow night! Biggest snow for the Washington DC area (a couple hours east of Massanutten) in history.

Been snowing all day. At least 6 inches by 4pm when I stopped skiing. Once the new snow got scrambled, it took some work to make turns. No grooming, although maybe they did a little after closing last night. The bumps on MakAttack are pretty huge now. Plenty of them on ParaDice too. A few icy spots were showing through in the afternoon on MakAttack, Upper Showtime, PD, and Diamond Jim.

After 3pm, the clouds rolled down the mountain so visibility became an issue. Very few people. Some local high schoolers since school was closed due to the snowstorm, but not many families were braving the snowy roads. The Mnut mountain road stayed okay since it was about 32 degrees, so they could keep plowing.

Supposed to be another 16-20 inches tonight. Probably going to leave the truck parked at the condo and walk over to the access stairs on Geronimo. Not exactly ski in/out, but close enough during a massive snowstorm.

Arrival 8:30am
Mnutpickup05Feb10-1.jpg

Mnutpickup05Feb10-2.jpg

Snowing hard at 10am, covering clear lift seat in 3-4 min
Mnut05Feb10liftsnow1.jpg

Resort Drive relatively clear at 11:30am
Mnut05Feb10-4.jpg

Lift 4 on Southern Comfort (long green), 9:30am
Mnut05Feb10-2.jpg

Lift 6 to the top for Diamond Jim and ParaDice, 10am
Mnut05Feb10-3.jpg

Lift 3 on Geronimo (green with easy terrain park), 2:30pm
Mnut05Feb10-5.jpg

Lodge boardwalk being cleared, again, 2:30pm
Mnut05Feb10-6.jpg

Leaving ski lodge parking lot 4pm
Mnutpickup05Feb10-4.jpg

Mnutpickup05Feb10-5.jpg

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Love the before and after pics of the car :smile: Glad someone is gettin' the snow. Our grass is starting to turn green! hehe

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looking awesome!!! :smile:

ride_ski

Angel Diva
Please post another trip report for today....with pics. We are up here in New England drooling at the thought of snow, getting ready to ski another day on no fresh snow- groomers again.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:drool: I wish I were skiing on real snow. Today will be another man-made ice event.

What's all that that brown stuff in the snow in front of my house? I think it's my lawn!

VTskiDiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bet today was even better than yesterday! I am a little more than an hour southwest of Massanutten....we have over 2 feet of snow here. Hoping to make it to at least Wintergreen tomorrow but I am not sure that Vdot will have the roads clear by then or not!:noidea:

I hope you have lots of pictures to share from today ! :becky:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I bet today was even better than yesterday! I am a little more than an hour southwest of Massanutten....we have over 2 feet of snow here. Hoping to make it to at least Wintergreen tomorrow but I am not sure that Vdot will have the roads clear by then or not!:noidea:

I hope you have lots of pictures to share from today ! :becky:

Oh yeah, fun day!

Since I-81 was in a dry slot last night, I would think you could get to Mnut fairly easily. Assuming you can make it to a cleared highway. :smile:

I'm assuming that driving back to Raleigh via VA6 to US29 won't be a problem tomorrow. I'd love to stay but my daughter has school. Raleigh only got rain out of the system. We'll be back on Thu because she has a 4-day weekend for Pres. Day. Looks like it will be plenty cold next week so little, if any, melting that would create ice. :clap:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Feb. 6 - snow continues

Just realized I put the wrong date in the thread title. We were also at Mnut on Feb. 3. Did a day trip because my daughter had a snow day.

In any case, if Feb. 5 was awesome, then Feb. 6 was epic. Mainly because the 8 inches overnight was all dry powder. The day before included some wet snow in the afternoon. I got 6 hours on skis from 9:30am-7:00pm, all on powder. Don't remember the last time I did that much skiing in a day. Definitely needed a couple longer breaks to re-energize. Good practice for Diva Week. ;)

Diamond Jim was not groomed. Only the right side of ParaDice was groomed, so still plenty of bumps. Visibility wasn't a problem even when snowing. Didn't go over to Lift 5 today. There was still untouched powder on the side of Southern Comfort left at 6:30pm. Made for a nice way to end the day.

Took lots of pics. All after lunch. Having too much fun in the morning to stop to get out the camera. To see all of them:
https://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq253/marzlook/Mnut 2009-10/Mnut 06Feb10/

Groomers
Mnut06Feb10-03.jpg

Ice on all chairs on Lift 6, the only aggravation of the day
Mnut06Feb10chairice.jpg

Clouds rolling in at 5pm, but gone quickly
Mnut06Feb10-16.jpg

Diamond Jim ungroomed
Mnut06Feb10-10.jpg

Mnut06Feb10-11.jpg

Mnut06Feb10-14.jpg

Mnut06Feb10-15.jpg

DJ under the lights
Mnut06Feb10DJ-1.jpg

Mnut06Feb10DJ-2.jpg

Mnut06Feb10DJ-3.jpg

Snow at the lodge
Mnut06Feb10-02.jpg

Pretty
Mnut06Feb10-13.jpg

Done

marzNC

Angel Diva
Love the before and after pics of the car :smile: Glad someone is gettin' the snow. Our grass is starting to turn green! hehe

More pics of snow on the pickup. Finally stopped snowing around 2pm. I was getting tired of clearing off the front every time I wanted to go somewhere. :p

After a few hours in a "dry slot" Friday evening, the snow started coming down heavily again. During the day, there was dry powder flying around all morning.

8:30am in front of condo, added 8 inches overnight
Mnutpickup06Feb10-1.jpg

1:30pm in ski lodge parking lot, a few more inches
Mnutpickup06Feb10-2.jpg

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
NICE!!!! :eek::jealous: I'm glad you were able to get out and enjoy it! :D

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Very nice pictures!!!! Concrete blocks to have more weight on the axle ... !
I seldom skied in such conditions .... must be interesting experience!:becky:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Feb. 7 - groomed runs in sunshine

Glad folks are enjoying the pics. Here are the ones from Feb. 7, which was a blue bird day. Everything well groomed except skier's left on ParaDice and MakAttack. No lines to speak of all day expect on Lift 5 mid-afternoon. Still felt like a weekday, although more crowded than Sat since the roads were essentially clear once the sun was up. Temps mostly in the 20's, so little melting on the slopes.

Diamond Jim was closed for racing in the morning. Saw several patrollers lapping ParaDice before they had to work.

My friend arrived with the girls around lunch time. They had a ball skiing on the packed powder all afternoon. Marz Jr. wanted to ski non-stop from the top a few times. :clap: She also talked her ski buddy into a run from the top of Lift 5. Usually they get off at mid-station. Still a blue, but the very top is about as steep as the blacks off Lift 6.

Since Charlottesville hasn't had school yet this week. Our friends stayed at Mnut to enjoy more skiing. We'll be back on Thu evening to take advantage of a teacher work day on Friday before the holiday crowds arrive on Sat.

Blue bird day with no wind
Mnut07Feb10-01.jpg

The boys who were first on Southern Comfort
Mnut07Feb10-05.jpg

Groomer parking off Southern Comfort
Mnutpowder07Feb10-1.jpg

A little woods run under Lift 6, near the bottom
Mnutpowder07Feb10-2.jpg

Mnutpowder07Feb10-3.jpg

Massanutten Development Team having fun on ParaDice bumps
Mnutpowder07Feb10-4.jpg

Mnutpowder07Feb10-5.jpg

Warning sign because too MUCH snow, meaning someone tall could get hit by returning chairs on Lift 5!
Mnutpowder07Feb10-6.jpg

Powder under Lift 6
Mnutpowder07Feb10-7.jpg

Lots more pics, but all boring blue bird shots. ;-)
https://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq253/marzlook/Mnut 2009-10/Mnut 07Feb10/

Done

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly