• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TR Breckenridge New Years 2020

SkiBabyMD

Certified Ski Diva
Happy New Year Ski Divas! I’ve received so much help from this forum! Hope this contribution helps others.

Getting there
Arrived at DEN airport, rented an SUV from the offsite rental car location, and proceeded to make the two hour drive to Breckenridge. The weather was cold at about 5 degrees and snowy. Our windshield kept icing up ruining visibility, until we bought some -20 degree washer fluid. The rental car had California plates and probably had the wrong washer fluid. No chain requirements on I-70.

Altitude
Breckenridge sits at 9,600 ft above sea level. Our entire family premedicated with Diamox and that seemed to help, although my DH still had headaches and insomnia. We measured his oxygen saturation and it was 88% (normal should be around 98%). We rented an oxygen machine and that helped some, but when he was off of it, the symptoms returned. Strangely, he was still able to ski… hmm. Most people recommend staying a night at Denver to acclimate, but our schedule didn’t allow for that. Would recommend staying hydrated as much as possible (use humidifiers if available), drink lots of liquids, and bring extra chapstick for those chapped lips!

Gear
We rented in town from Christy Sports. They had a 20% off deal when booking online and also free kids rental with each adult. Much cheaper than the on-mountain option. We rented 3 pairs of skis (Santa Ana 93, QST Lux 92, K2 Missy) with poles, as well as a kid’s Burton snowboard. We actually brought along our own ski boots and helmets/goggles, so didn’t need to rent those.

The mountain
Breckenridge is a huge mountain with 5 peaks from Peak 6 to Peak 10 (named for the 10 peaks over 10 miles). We mainly stayed on one or two peaks per day, as traversing the entire mountain would eat up too much time.

I’m an intermediate skier mainly on blues and easy blacks, so my assessment is somewhat limited, but my advanced DH says that there is a lot of variety from fast groomers to steep technical terrain. He mainly hung around chair E and 6. My DS10 said the terrain parks were great! Imperial Express is a neat chair that’s the highest in North America at 12,840 ft. The views were fantastic.

There were a few parts of the mountain that weren’t open due to coverage and some runs with exposed rocks and stumps. Locals say that February-March is prime time. We did get lucky with a 7” powder day that was super fun.

Breckenridge is the busiest ski resort in North America. The lift lines reflected that, with some waits of up to 25 minutes. I guess the best strategy is to avoid the lifts at the base and try and hang out midmountain and above. The mountain does handle the crowd well, except near closing time when the lower half gets really trafficy. The 3.5-mile Four O'Clock trail from the top of Peak 8 all the way back to the Village is a fun way to get back to the car.

Dining
Spencer’s at the base of Peak 9 is the only “on mountain” restaurant that takes reservations for lunch. You can order off the menu or do a soup-salad buffet or a full buffet (i.e. meat options). Buffet costs were $14 and $20, respectively. They vary their buffet items daily. There’s a private dining room that can seat about 14. It was surprisingly not crowded and we were able to make reservations easily the day before. Alternatively, there are a few restaurants a short walk away from Peak 9.

Our family didn’t explore other dining options. But, each mountain eatery has its own “theme” food, like BBQ or Asian/ramen, etc. DS10 loved the packaged sweet fried bao buns from Overlook. This link summarizes it well: https://www.breckenridge.com/explore-the-resort/during-your-stay/dining.aspx

Instruction
We were a large group of 15 (ages 3 to adults) and worked with a number of really great private instructors. I can personally comment on those with asterisks as they were the instructors that taught my immediate family members. PM me if you have questions. Overall, everyone was excellent. In fact, some of the best instruction we’ve ever had! At the end of the trip, I was able to make it down sizeable moguls slopes, navigate through trees, steer through fluffy powder, and even make it down an (easy) double black diamond… things I’ve never done before!

• Caitlyn Ward
  • Carlena Ceccon *
  • Courtney Shelden
  • Eric Zerowin *
  • Jackie Mir
  • Jenn Losch *
  • Jesse Yedwab *
  • Jessi Gearhart *
  • Kevin Eddy
  • Larissa Galens
  • Mark Hanks
  • Matt Belleville *
  • Mike Stanley
  • Patti Banks *
  • Pattie Grady
  • Ward Malek *

We met a few “famous” people — who I admittedly did not know about prior to this trip, but who I got to meet personally via our wonderful ski instructors (the instructors here all seem to know each other and are buddies with these “famous” regulars on the mountain) — including CJ Mueller, Ron LeMaster, and Ryan Knapton. They gave us some tips, so I figure that counts as instruction. :smile:

Apres
Resort traffic around 4p is really congested! Download the “Passport Parking” app on your phone to pay for parking around town. It’s variable rate from $1-10/hr.

There are a lot of cute stores in town. My DD12 loved this one candle shop that had these interesting ”bowl” candles. We also did Mountain Time Escape Rooms where we were stuck in a cabin caught in an Avalanche. SUPER fun, well organized, and age-appropriate. The kids begged to try the Sasquatch one, but we didn’t have enough time. We ate at Empire Burgers just across from the Escape Room plaza, which was excellent (those fry dipping sauces!). Can’t comment on other local restaurants as we opted to cook at home as it was challenging to mobilize the entire family.

Other
DH always needs to be connected for work. In terms of coverage and speed, we found Verizon > AT&T > T-mobile. Locals agreed.

We also had an on mountain injury. Breck handled it expertly from getting him off the mountain to transporting him to the local hospital (Saint Anthony Medical Center in Frisco, 20 min away). Everyone at Saint Anthony’s Hospital was so amazing and nice. Unfortunately, he had to have surgery but I knew he was in good hands. The surgeon, Dr. Aaron Black, is a US Ski Team physician and has cared for Mikaela Shiffrin!

Conclusion
Overall a fantastic trip and would definitely return.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Great trip report! Thanks for sharing. :becky:

The higher altitude of Breck in terms of close in lodging is one reason I haven't been that interested in checking it out. But have always heard the town is a good ski town. But always tempting to get an Epic Pass and do a ski safari in Colorado one season. In that case, a couple days skiing Breck would be of interest.

Kika35

Certified Ski Diva
Sounds like an great trip. Thanks for sharing. We are heading there at the end of March is the details in your report is really helpful. Hoping I can pick your brain a little :smile:

Re: your rental car, how far away from the airport did you go to get it? I hear that there's a significant saving if you go off site, but I'm not sure if that's practical. Also, I am inclined to think an SUV is the way to go, that or a larger vehicle with 4WD, but hubby thinks I am being over the top worried. If we could arrange to have good snow tires on a sedan I might be less concerned, but seems you can't arrange that in advance.

Aside from your washer fluid issues, how did you find the road conditions? Traffic on the I-70?

I hadn't considered renting equipment there, but am going to look into it after reading this.

Jenny

Angel Diva
We’ve rented on Quebec Street before and it was a lot cheaper. Took the hotel shuttle from the airport, spent the night and left from there the next morning. Either Budget or Avis had a place in a hotel right there, although we stayed at a different hotel that was super close and then just walked to pick up the car.

It actually wasn’t that much trouble, because you have to shuttle even to the on-site car rental in Denver. It did add the hotel cost for the night, but we were getting in at an awkward time, anyway, so we had to spend the night in town.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Nice, detailed well organized TR! I have skied Breckenridge but it's been over 10 years. Your TR was fun to read! I do have a question re Diamox. Assume you're an MD from your screen name. I will be staying slopeside at Taos 9,300 ft at the end of the month and remember two years ago had headaches and sleep issues . Does the diamox help with that? Have an appt for physical next week but my dr is not a skier so wanted to hear from a skier's POV.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Thanks for the TR! Breckenridge is my favorite resort and I go every year. I’m only a mellow intermediate so keep to groomed blues and greens. Skiing from Peak 7 to 8 to 9 and back is a hoot. All on blues and greens too. I try to ski only mid-week because the weekends are an absolute mad house. After accidentally buying a $30 lunch at the base of Peak 8, I pack my own lunch and eat at the top mountain lodges now.

For those who are hesitant about driving on I-70, there are shuttles you can hire to take you from Denver airport to Breckenridge and back. It’s about $49 one way. The one I used is Peak One and they have departures just about every hour from DIA well into the night. I did the rental car for two years. Then it dawned on me I always stayed in town and the car just stayed in the condo lot the whole time. So I never really needed a car. The town has free buses that take you to the gondola and base areas and around town, and more importantly, the grocery store. The Summit Stage buses can take you to Keystone, A-Basin, and Copper (via a transfer at Frisco). All for free. Breck is a nice little town that is eminently walkable from end to end. I never felt I needed a car to get around town. I was there in mid-December and glad I had the shuttle to take me back to the airport. It was during a big storm and even AWDs were sliding around on I-70 if they didn’t have snow tires. For those who go to ski and don’t much care to drive anywhere for sightseeing or apres, a car is not necessary.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think that Breck is great for beginners, intermediates, and families with kids, their blues and greens are very mellow. I was there for a conference a few years ago. It was a low snow year so a lot of off-piste wasn't open, so I didn't get to experience that terrain as much. To be honest I prefer groomers that are a bit steeper, though they have some black groomed trails, those are steeper. I didn't get to see the town, though I heard the town is great. I am not sure I would go back to Breck for skiing vacation, but I understand that it may be appealing to others.

SkiBabyMD

Certified Ski Diva
Re: your rental car, how far away from the airport did you go to get it? I hear that there's a significant saving if you go off site, but I'm not sure if that's practical. Also, I am inclined to think an SUV is the way to go, that or a larger vehicle with 4WD, but hubby thinks I am being over the top worried. If we could arrange to have good snow tires on a sedan I might be less concerned, but seems you can't arrange that in advance.

All airport car rental locations are accessed via shuttle. We still got hit with "CONCESSION FEE RECOVERY" a.k.a. airport surcharges. My DH always rents an AWD car when going to ski country. Force of habit after traveling to Tahoe nearly every weekends. No AWD + storm = chains. Our AWD Highlander rental had all-seasons and that's typical for every rental car we had. I've never seen a rental with snow tires. We rent from Hertz and choose a category Q4, L4, or T (guaranteed AWD) depending on how much gear we decide to bring.

I-70 can enact chain laws on passenger cars at "any time when weather conditions are severe, primarily on roadways with significant ascending and descending grades." I'm not sure how often that happens.

As Jenny mentioned above, you could stay a night in Denver and rent a there and avoid the airport fees. You could also price out a pickup in Denver and return to airport and see if it's not too much more.

Aside from your washer fluid issues, how did you find the road conditions? Traffic on the I-70?

Road conditions were fine. Even though it was snowing and cold, there was little accumulation on the road. Never felt like we slipped or lost traction from DEN airport to Breck. Of course, we drove slower than the limit.

Last edited:

SkiBabyMD

Certified Ski Diva
I do have a question re Diamox. Assume you're an MD from your screen name. I will be staying slopeside at Taos 9,300 ft at the end of the month and remember two years ago had headaches and sleep issues . Does the diamox help with that? Have an appt for physical next week but my dr is not a skier so wanted to hear from a skier's POV.

Standard medical disclaimer here: don't trust medical advice over the internet and consult with your physician :smile:.

Having said that, Diamox definitely helps with altitude sickness. My DH gets mild altitude sickness of headaches, insomnia, and anorexia (loss of appetite). Taking Diamox 62.5 mg (half tablet) twice a day for two days before going to altitude and a few days into it, greatly reduces his symptoms. I won't go into the physiology of how it works, but it is a diuretic and you'll end up peeing a lot. Be sure to take more fluids than usual.

Just so you're aware, some people get severe forms of altitude sickness with fluid in the lungs (HAPE) or brain swelling (HACE). Those are real medical emergencies treatable only by going to lower altitudes.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Great TR for visitors!

I can’t agree enough with sleeping with a humidifier if the place you’re staying has them available. Even living at ~5500 ft and spending a lot of time up in Summit, a humidifier makes a noticeable difference in my sleep quality at altitude.

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Breck is home-away-from-home for us. We go every year to ski, and recently started spending an extended summer vacation there too. I didn't think it possible, but I almost love it more in the summer! Jenn Losch is a great friend and amazing instructor (and pretty wonderful cook too!). Sevens restaurant (in the Grand Lodge on Peak 7) also takes lunch reservations, for future reference. Not sure which Christy's you rented from, but the Blue Mountain Sports next to Mi Casa restaurant is even more affordable and has comparable equipment for rentals. We always get my son's package there since he's still growing and not on mountain enough days in a season to warrant purchasing gear.

Question about the Diamox - I have taken it in the past to help with the sleeplessness and headaches associated with altitude. It definitely alleviates some of the issues, but I find the side effects of the Diamox to be almost worse than any benefits. Did your group experience any of the tingling in the hands and feet? The pins and needles are irritating and uncomfortable. Did they have any issues with taste changes? It makes anything carbonated taste absolutely horrendous to me. Just curious if that dosage is more tolerable.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
By the way, I’m sensitive to Sulfa, so instead of Diamox, my Doc prescribes Dexamethasone. I’m not sure it works noticeably better than ibuprofen (which you can’t take at the same time), but my bad knee really likes it.

SkiBabyMD

Certified Ski Diva
Question about the Diamox - I have taken it in the past to help with the sleeplessness and headaches associated with altitude. It definitely alleviates some of the issues, but I find the side effects of the Diamox to be almost worse than any benefits. Did your group experience any of the tingling in the hands and feet? The pins and needles are irritating and uncomfortable. Did they have any issues with taste changes? It makes anything carbonated taste absolutely horrendous to me. Just curious if that dosage is more tolerable.

DH is sensitive to altitude, but still likes to climb 14ers for whatever reason! He takes half the recommended dose of Diamox (62.5 mg instead of 125 mg twice a day) to reduce side effects. He's had tingling in the hands and feet with the higher dosing. Carbonated drinks, including beer, taste flat with either dosing.

I've attached a PDF of various Diamox dosing schedules from the "Altitude Acclimatization" Facebook Group my DH is part of.

Attachments

• Diamox Dose for AMS v5.pdf
    722.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

SkiBabyMD

Certified Ski Diva
By the way, I’m sensitive to Sulfa, so instead of Diamox, my Doc prescribes Dexamethasone. I’m not sure it works noticeably better than ibuprofen (which you can’t take at the same time), but my bad knee really likes it.

Dexamethasone is an alternative to Diamox if you have a sulfa allergy. Dexamethasone is a steroid -- anti-inflammatory, not big muscles -- and would explain why it helps your knee :smile:. Dexamethasone has its own set of side effects including insomnia, high blood sugars (especially if diabetic), nausea, weight gain, osteoporosis, etc.

Here's a chart from the Wilderness Medical Society Clinical Practice Guidelines for
the Prevention and Treatment of Acute Altitude Illness:

1578270817737.png

Attachments

• PIIS1080603219300900.pdf
    435.7 KB · Views: 6

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Thanks for providing information @SkiBabyMD . Very helpful ! I will discuss with my physician at my appointment. I had headaches and insomnia last time in Taos but only took one Aleve in the evenings. Now I see I needed more than one.... Also my understanding is to make sure hydrated and electrolytes help as well.

SkiBabyMD

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for providing information @SkiBabyMD . Very helpful ! I will discuss with my physician at my appointment. I had headaches and insomnia last time in Taos but only took one Aleve in the evenings. Now I see I needed more than one.... Also my understanding is to make sure hydrated and electrolytes help as well.

The 600 mg every 6 hours is a pretty hefty dose. I can't tolerate that amount without getting an upset stomach. The higher the dose also puts you at risk for ulcers. Talk to your doctor of course and perhaps look into diamox (aka acetazolamide)! Definitely hydration and electrolytes too!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
The 600 mg every 6 hours is a pretty hefty dose. I can't tolerate that amount without getting an upset stomach. The higher the dose also puts you at risk for ulcers. Talk to your doctor of course and perhaps look into diamox (aka acetazolamide)! Definitely hydration and electrolytes too!
I agree.... that's a really high dose and I probably wouldn't take that much. I wasn't sick from the altitude (9,300 ft) but definitely had bad headaches and insomnia. Thanks for the information! I'll definitely talk to my doctor about it.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
MD did some research on diamox and the altitude I'm going to be sleeping at (9,300 ft skiing maybe at 11,000 ft) and gave me a prescription for diamox. I explained to her I had bad headaches last time inT aos with sleep issues and pretty sick at Crested Butte (another high elevation resort) with what I thought was the flu but may have been due to altitude. As you said, it's a diuretic so lots of peeing. Hydration and electrolytes a must as well. Thanks!

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Carbonated drinks, including beer, taste flat with either dosing.

I am not BEER drinker, but some skiers might have a serious problem with this issue! LOL

I do like the idea of a humidifier. Never thought of that. My home mountain in Arizona base is 9,200 and skis at 11,500 or more if you want to hike for turns. I've not had altitude issues there, but once in awhile going to other resorts out of state, even with lower elevations, I do have trouble with insomnia. Could be just different living quarters, but you never know..............

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna