• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TR Big SNOW American Dream, indoor slope in NJ, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

newboots

Angel Diva
We were just discussing the fire on the other Big Snow thread.

:hurt:

I have found that Big Snow, with its entirely predictable (and somewhat boring) single trail, has been a very good learning experience for me. No wondering what's around the next turn, no sudden appearance of rocks, almost entirely no ice. I'm practicing new skills by repeating them for two-hour sessions! I'm upset about the fire - a terrible thing, of course, but also interrupting my self-improvement plans. :cry:

MissySki

Angel Diva
We were just discussing the fire on the other Big Snow thread.

:hurt:

I have found that Big Snow, with its entirely predictable (and somewhat boring) single trail, has been a very good learning experience for me. No wondering what's around the next turn, no sudden appearance of rocks, almost entirely no ice. I'm practicing new skills by repeating them for two-hour sessions! I'm upset about the fire - a terrible thing, of course, but also interrupting my self-improvement plans. :cry:

That article doesn’t sound good. I wasn’t thinking it was inside the slope, but it sounds like it was. And there’s a cut in the wall of the side too. The inside might unfortunately be a flooded and damaged wreck. I hope that’s being dramatic though! I’m not sure what scenario would allow to reopen very soon if they indeed cut through walls and the roof though..

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
[i also read at one time another fire caused an “avalanche” out the door. I’m not sure that was true. I’m sure everything will be fine and up and running quickly.

QUOTE="MissySki, post: 444458, member: 2663"]
That article doesn’t sound good. I wasn’t thinking it was inside the slope, but it sounds like it was. And there’s a cut in the wall of the side too. The inside might unfortunately be a flooded and damaged wreck. I hope that’s being dramatic though! I’m not sure what scenario would allow to reopen very soon if they indeed cut through walls and the roof though..
[/QUOTE]

MissySki

Angel Diva
[i also read at one time another fire caused an “avalanche” out the door. I’m not sure that was true. I’m sure everything will be fine and up and running quickly.

QUOTE="MissySki, post: 444458, member: 2663"]
[/QUOTE]

I thought they previously had a refrigeration unit go down that caused a melt out. Didn’t think it was another fire though.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva

I thought they previously had a refrigeration unit go down that caused a melt out. Didn’t think it was another fire though.
[/QUOTE]
Yes, you are correct.

newboots

Angel Diva
They will be down “at least until October 2.” That was our date!

And they described the damage as “extensive.”

marzNC

Angel Diva
Another description of the fire.

September 25, 2021

newboots

Angel Diva
Well. Maybe that's good. It's hard to tell from here. If they put the fire out with water, that will be a huge cleanup. And then repairs to the building and whatever mechanicals were damaged. I think it's going to be a lot longer than 10/2. :cry:

I am selfishly wishing for the best. I was planning to go tomorrow and one other day this week! I guess I'll have to make do with the gym. :becky:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m pretty sure it was put out with water, and it took hours.
According to this report that was posted around 8am that morning, the blaze was out in about an hour based on a statement by the Wood-Ridge Fire Department.

September 25, 2021
" . . .
Firefighters knocked the blaze down in about an hour, . . ."

MissySki

Angel Diva
Hmm weird, I’ve read more articles like this one where it says the fire was first reported at 4:15am and then “the main body of the fire was knocked down just after 6am.” Furthermore, there were definitely reports elsewhere that it took quite awhile after this to get to other areas where insulation was still smoldering. That’s all where my statement came from.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
If the fire was reported at 4:15am, and the Wood-Ridge Fire Department got there at 5:20am, the fire has already gone on for more than an hour. Wood-Ridge said it was subsequently knocked down in about an hour, so before 6:20am, which tracks with the “main body of the fire” being out shortly after 6am. It being a three-alarm fire, multiple companies would have responded, and the reporting can read differently based on context.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
There were a few days where I woke up and had the crazy idea to go to Big Snow on a whim. Then I’d look at Maps, saw 4:10 as drive time and said forget about it (in a New York accent).

MissySki

Angel Diva
Thank goodness American Dream has an onsite crew, because yeah there isn't anyone else very close by in that location!

newboots

Angel Diva
There were a few days where I woke up and had the crazy idea to go to Big Snow on a whim. Then I’d look at Maps, saw 4:10 as drive time and said forget about it (in a New York accent).

I have found that summer skiing is doing wonders for me. I have a lot of issues with where I'm living now (too city, not enough country; not close enough to great skiing; way too expensive) but something great is living 1.25 hours from Big Snow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly