• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TR Big SNOW American Dream, indoor slope in NJ, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wa

Wait, there are rollercoasters, plural, in there as well??
Yep, Nickelodeon Universe is like a really good small carnival . . . indoors. It's down the same hallway that leads to the waterpark. Can't see much of the waterpark, but can see the rides a bit.

The Mall of America and the West Edmonton Mall built by the same company as American Dream have roller coasters too. It's Big SNOW that's the unique attraction for N. America. Although as of 2019 the company was supposed to start building American Dream Miami in 2021. I imagine the pandemic may change those plans.

marzNC

Angel Diva
A summer camp sounds like it would be an interesting idea. In theory it seems like it could appeal to families with kids who might want to try skiing or boarding but have not done so before---but on the other hand I think people who have not tried skiing/boarding would probably be less inclined to try in the summer if they have never made the effort to do so in winter.
My impression is that the Big SNOW summer camps are for locals. Just as multi-week programs at ski areas are for locals, not travelers.

The waterpark is more likely to draw travelers as part of a vacation in the NJ/NYC area than Big SNOW. Most of the families I saw on the Friday were headed to the waterpark. Some were clearly locals dressed ready for water fun. A few might have been travelers on vacation.

teppaz

Angel Diva
I love rollercoasters, unfortunately I’ve become less tolerant to the motion as I’ve gotten older. Now I need to take motion sickness medicine beforehand and maybe it’ll help. I’ve also tried those pressure point bracelets with moderate success.
The exact same thing happened to me" I used to be a rollercoaster fiend but I've gotten worse with motion sickness. Same for first-person video games. Fortunately I remain ok with skiing!

MissySki

Angel Diva
The exact same thing happened to me" I used to be a rollercoaster fiend but I've gotten worse with motion sickness. Same for first-person video games. Fortunately I remain ok with skiing!

Sorry to hear you have had the same problem! It's so sad and frustrating when your body won't cooperate with things you enjoy.

Jenny

Angel Diva
My DH was a gymnast, so when he got DIMS (Doom Induced Motion Sickness) I was surprised. As was he. Fortunately for his gaming, it was pretty much only that one video engine that did it.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is so cool to see all the pictures of inside this place. I've seen videos on instagram of the ski area but nobody cares to post pictures of the important logistics parts. I'm surprised the Mall of America doesn't have one of these.

marzNC

Angel Diva
This is so cool to see all the pictures of inside this place. I've seen videos on instagram of the ski area but nobody cares to post pictures of the important logistics parts. I'm surprised the Mall of America doesn't have one of these.
It's quite an experience! Planning to go back in a few weeks at the end of another driving trip up north. Going to bring my own skis and boots this time. Also won't be so rushed to leave.

The company that built the Mall of America didn't build the building that houses Big SNOW. That was built by the original developer in NJ that never got past building an empty shell. But they finished the slope, the snowmaking infrastructure, and installed a brand new quad chair.

There is a plan to build another American Dream mall in Florida that will have an indoor slope. Hard to say whether that will actually happen or not though. Construction may not start for another year or two, assuming permits are issued.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
American dream in FL?1 Wouldnt that be cool I go to visit my parents And ski in one trip! I bet it could be pretty crowded..A place to cool off on those hot humid days.

marzNC

Angel Diva
American dream in FL?1 Wouldnt that be cool I go to visit my parents And ski in one trip! I bet it could be pretty crowded..A place to cool off on those hot humid days.
Big SNOW always limits the numbers on the slope by having timed entry in 15-min intervals. That was part of the set up, not something that was added in 2020 because of the pandemic. People who buy a 6-pack can show up anytime. When they check in, a 2-hour slot is deducted from their balance.

The company that operates Big SNOW also operates Mountain Creek in NJ. They learned long ago the types of problems that beginners have on a busy weekend. That's what led to the invention of Terrain Based Learning (TM) as part of a comprehensive process improvement consulting service. Early adopters included Snowbasin, Killington, and Cataloochee.

marzNC

Angel Diva
If anyone reading this can get to Big SNOW on a weekday but hasn't posted enough to see the Meet On The Hill section for Divas Only, send me a Private Message (envelope icon). There is an August date set for the next meetup.

newboots

Angel Diva

No, it's in New Jersey! I can only imagine the cost of operating it in Florida!

marzNC

Angel Diva
No, it's in New Jersey! I can only imagine the cost of operating it in Florida!
@racetiger and I had been talking a few days ago about the American Dream mall that is supposed to be built in Florida.

There are more ski nuts in Florida than you might guess. All those retirees who moved south from the northeast for instance. I think there are two places with ski simulators, both the rolling carpet MaxxTracks and the enhanced version of the Skier's Edge. That works like golf simulators where you are in front of a big screen and it looks like your ball is flying down the fairway.

Also usually a fair number of international tourists who like to shop while on vacation in Florida. Although they may be more interested in Orlando than south Florida, which is where the new mall is supposed to go.

I think the indoor slope in Fairfax is more likely to start construction before 2023.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
I love rollercoasters, unfortunately I’ve become less tolerant to the motion as I’ve gotten older. Now I need to take motion sickness medicine beforehand and maybe it’ll help. I’ve also tried those pressure point bracelets with moderate success.
Interesting, I grew up in an amusement park. I have ridden up to 40 times in a row. (Yes, I was 15 at that time). Anyhow last August I went for a quick boat ride and swim. Afterwhich I was diagnosed with MdDS. Honestly, I am lucky as I have very little issues and consider myself to be in remission. I am hoping I will be able to ski and am planning on it. I think with age the brain-eye connection changes. Anyhow my point was -- yes I agree motion sickness, balance and roller coasters tend to bother us as age. I always wondered if mine was caused from too much brain shake on the rides.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Interesting, I grew up in an amusement park. I have ridden up to 40 times in a row. (Yes, I was 15 at that time). Anyhow last August I went for a quick boat ride and swim. Afterwhich I was diagnosed with MdDS. Honestly, I am lucky as I have very little issues and consider myself to be in remission. I am hoping I will be able to ski and am planning on it. I think with age the brain-eye connection changes. Anyhow my point was -- yes I agree motion sickness, balance and roller coasters tend to bother us as age. I always wondered if mine was caused from too much brain shake on the rides.
Had to google that - yuck!

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Had to google that - yuck!
Me too. Interesting that it can be triggered by motion as simple as being in a waterbed. I'm like @MissySki : I love roller coasters but need to medicate before going near one (and I don't know if that would still work as it's been years since I've been near one.)

MissySki

Angel Diva
Me too. Interesting that it can be triggered by motion as simple as being in a waterbed. I'm like @MissySki : I love roller coasters but need to medicate before going near one (and I don't know if that would still work as it's been years since I've been near one.)

My mom can still go on everything at amusement parks, it makes me mad lol. Seems unfair that my ability to ride has gone so down hill with age and yet she has no issue. I’m so jealous.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I haven't been on one in years, but I did vow that I'm not riding the wooden ones anymore - too rough a ride and I remember being really, really sore afterwards.

And I'm not sure about my ability to ride the spinny things anymore, which is a shame because I love those. I think things like the Scrambler are OK, but not the Teacups. And OMG certainly not the one they used to have where they spun it really fast and the floor dropped down so you were just stuck to the wall - whatever that one was called.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly