• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Totally unseasonable question...what kind of ski do you prefer in "spring snow"

KKL2018

Certified Ski Diva
Not the soft, ski all day kind of snow we love...but the more difficult variations; heavy coarse granular or tracked up heavy sticky mashed potato--and more so the latter is where I get frustrated. The 'sticky' I think I have figured out, I have a low fluro wax really helps on the days that the snow is stickier or you come across those patches of snow that are like wet cement. I have also heard more structure to the skis helps that suction, but I haven't had that done.

My bigger question is I have heard two lines of thinking on types of ski's for mashed potato snow seemingly opposite recommendations:
1. a narrow waisted ski
2. a wider waisted ski.

I can see the logic behind both. I personally have found I feel like I struggle more with wider waisted than a narrower waisted ski in deep heavy sticky snow.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The 'sticky' I think I have figured out, I have a low fluro wax really helps on the days that the snow is stickier or you come across those patches of snow that are like wet cement.
My solution to not have to worry much at all about "sticky" snow has been to treat my skis with DPS Phantom. First test was in May 2018 at Bachelor, Mt. Hood Meadows, and Mammoth during a late, late season ski safari. Ended up skiing my treated Head Absolut Joys, 78mm, more than my normally waxed Black Pearls, 88mm. Even with warm weather wax, still needed to use a paste wax once or twice during a short day of skiing in temps in the 50s and 60s. Last April I brought my BPs (Phantom 2.0 treated bases) along with my all-mountain good skis (untreated). When it was warm, I skied at the BPs and had a great time. Generally could have fun in staying out longer in the afternoon than other folks also staying at Alta Lodge.

With traditionally waxed skis, I would go with an all-mountain width. For me that means mid-80s, as opposed to 90+. I consider widths 72-80 to be more or less for situations when carving on groomers or hard snow would be expected during at least part of the day. YMMV

Note that my home region is the southeast (NC, VA, WV). That means daytime temps in the 50s can happen any time during the short season. Most ski areas/resorts typical open by mid-Dec and close by mid-March. Spring skiing conditions in mid-Jan or early Feb are pretty common for a few days before snowmaking temps at night return.

mustski

Angel Diva
I definitely preferred my Volkl 90eights to my RenounZ90s last spring at Mammoth. I'm not sure it's as much a width issue as it is the ski itself. The 90eights are just easier to ski in soft snow. They are very light so I don't have a problem getting them up on edge when I prefer to carve through the heavy, wet stuff and they don't toss me into the backseat the same way the Z90s did.

KKL2018

Certified Ski Diva
I find I have a tougher time rolling my 84s edge to edge in deep, heavy tracked up spring snow vs my 71s. I think the less surface area of the 71s is what makes them seem easier (I treated both with low fluro wax--which lasts from when the lifts start spinning in the morning until usually about 1-2 in the afternoon...will have to look into the phantom).

I suspect the issue could be in part not with the performance of the skis themselves but the physical limitations I have from back surgeries/damage. I know I have some compensatory things going on and tricky snow seems to highlight that. I would say the toughest for me is tracked up deep heavy snow. Usually I can find a way through it, but I am sure my approach is less orthodox and more tiring than it should be. I find I do struggle with "lift" vs push in terms of strength on my left side and my abductors are substantially weak where as my adductors are strong.

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I very strongly prefer my narrowest skis (Blizzard Viva 8.0, 80 under foot) in spring snow. I have also skied it in my DPS Yvettes (112 under foot) and did not have nearly as much fun. So much so that I use the Vivas as my spring backcountry skis even though they have resort bindings and it’s way heavier to haul them back up the bootpacks than the Yvettes (which are my backcountry powder skis) but I’m mostly in it for the downhill. :smile:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I very strongly prefer my narrowest skis (Blizzard Viva 8.0, 80 under foot) in spring snow. I have also skied it in my DPS Yvettes (112 under foot) and did not have nearly as much fun. So much so that I use the Vivas as my spring backcountry skis even though they have resort bindings and it’s way heavier to haul them back up the bootpacks than the Yvettes (which are my backcountry powder skis) but I’m mostly in it for the downhill. :smile:
You might just love your Santa Ana 88s in spring snow :becky:

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This weekend?
Not sure yet, GT only has one green run open covered in a few inches of mostly artificial snow. This has never happened before... I’m crying! Hoping for a huge dump tomorrow to cover up all of that bare ground up there. As anxious as I am, I’m holding out for a Dreamcatcher opening with the real stuff.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure yet, GT only has one green run open covered in a few inches of mostly artificial snow. This has never happened before... I’m crying! Hoping for a huge dump tomorrow to cover up all of that bare ground up there. As anxious as I am, I’m holding out for a Dreamcatcher opening with the real stuff.
The forecast for Friday is looking REALLY good. If I recall correctly, there aren't a lot of rocks up there in the middle of the mountain to cover so I'm crossing my fingers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna