• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Top of peak vertigo!

HeatherPR

Certified Ski Diva
Hey ladies! I’m in my third season of skiing. Woot! I am afraid of heights but have been working so hard on being ok with chairlifts and summit trails. I’ve made great progress but… Yesterday we took the summit chair to the top of my Ellen at sugarbush. I’ve been up there so many times. Beautiful blue bird day with views for miles. I immediately had the sensation that I would just fall off the edge of the mountain. I got panicky and breathless. I was almost paralyzed. All these folks were taking their Instagram worthy panoramic pics and I was just over there doing my breathing exercises trying to talk myself off the ledge. I can giggle about it now but curious if any of you ever have these moments? What are your tips for calming yourself. I’m thinking of trying to take some cbd before skiing to see if that just takes a tiny edge off of things. What else works for you? We are headed to Taos in a two weeks and I know it’s steep. And I want to embrace it and see the wonder in it rather than the fear!

Scribble

Angel Diva
I get instant world-upside-down vertigo in some weirdly specific situations and it can be hard not to spiral into panic if I let it happen. Besides getting a few turns in quickly to give me an honest sense of movement to out compete the vertigo, my preventative "hack" is panning my eyes 3-4 turns down slope and to each side, so I'm getting a picture of whats ahead but not just staring down to the bottom.
For the most part, its a visual glitch that I can choose not to indulge. Brains can be funny!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After following @scribbleI's advice, If you can have someone who skis at your pace in front of you, it might be the only time that one can be encouraged to look Down at the tails.of their skis until you are in a less visually overwhelming spot.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Hey ladies! I’m in my third season of skiing. Woot! I am afraid of heights but have been working so hard on being ok with chairlifts and summit trails. I’ve made great progress but… Yesterday we took the summit chair to the top of my Ellen at sugarbush. I’ve been up there so many times. Beautiful blue bird day with views for miles. I immediately had the sensation that I would just fall off the edge of the mountain. I got panicky and breathless. I was almost paralyzed. All these folks were taking their Instagram worthy panoramic pics and I was just over there doing my breathing exercises trying to talk myself off the ledge. I can giggle about it now but curious if any of you ever have these moments? What are your tips for calming yourself. I’m thinking of trying to take some cbd before skiing to see if that just takes a tiny edge off of things. What else works for you? We are headed to Taos in a two weeks and I know it’s steep. And I want to embrace it and see the wonder in it rather than the fear!

Yes. I have a thing about heights, too, so I understand where you're coming from. If something is too high or too exposed, I get somewhat panicky, I've had it hit me particularly hard at the peak of Big Sky, and it's really no fun.

I have two ways of dealing with it:

1) I get out of that area as fast as I can. Once I'm lower down — say, where there are some trees and it's not so wide open — I feel a lot better.

1) I take slow, deep breaths. I breathe in, deeply and slowly. then breathe out, slowly. Really, it does help calm you down.

I also don't like lifts that are too high or too exposed, so I tend to chat a lot with my seat mates. It keeps me distracted, and that helps.

When are you going to Taos? Did you know that Diva West is there the last week of February?

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
We are headed to Taos in a two weeks and I know it’s steep. And I want to embrace it and see the wonder in it rather than the fear!
Here's some insight into the lifts at Taos. Most of the lifts have been around for a while so they aren't unusually high off the ground.

Lift 1 goes up a steep incline but if you don't turn around to look at the view, that shouldn't be too much of a concern. Same thing for Lift 2. Lift 8 is higher off the ground at the beginning when it goes over Tell Glade. After that, it's fine unless it's windy near the top. For those lifts on the front side, when you unload there is plenty of flat space and you aren't overlooking a drop.

The top of Lift 2 is where you get the first view of Kachina Peak. Can see the view in the distance without having to be near the edge. Can be a little tricky if there isn't good visibility the first time you go down Honeysuckle, which is a green cat track to start with. It widens out after a bit. That's the only way to get over to the "back side" where Lift 4 is located. Ski Week classes for advanced beginners or low intermediates may stay over on the front side for a day or two depending on the weather.

The last section of Lift 4 is relatively exposed and high.

The lifts that are the hardest to deal with for people who are nervous about heights are the Lift 7 and Lift 7A. They are old lifts with no safety bar. Lift 7 is a triple with a bench seat. Lift 7A is a center-pole double. Taking those two lifts is one way to return to the main base from the back side. It's also possible to return taking a long cat track called Rubezahl.

Unloading area for Lift 2, February 2019
TSV Lift 2 unloading Feb2019 - 1.jpeg

Lift 7, February 2019 (when Maxi's was a terrain park)
TSV Lift 7 Feb2019 - 1.jpeg

Lift 7A, February 2023
TSV Lift 7A Feb2023 - 1.jpeg

Lift 7A, February 2019
TSV Lift 7A Feb2019 - 1.jpeg

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lots of great advice above. The brain is truly weird. I’ve never had vertigo or similar problems skiing, but when I hike in the mountains I can’t go close to ledges or any sheer drop off, I literally feel paralyzed. My friend said, “you ski off the top of mountains higher than this, how can this scare you?” My response: those mountains are covered with snow and I don’t drop straight down 3000 feet!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I often use CBD when I ski, play golf, and tennis. It helps relax my muscles a bit, and might help take the edge off for you. Give it a try.

HeatherPR

Certified Ski Diva
I get instant world-upside-down vertigo in some weirdly specific situations and it can be hard not to spiral into panic if I let it happen. Besides getting a few turns in quickly to give me an honest sense of movement to out compete the vertigo, my preventative "hack" is panning my eyes 3-4 turns down slope and to each side, so I'm getting a picture of whats ahead but not just staring down to the bottom.
For the most part, its a visual glitch that I can choose not to indulge. Brains can be funny!
Thanks for this tip. I'll try this out next time. I think you're right about taking in a little at a time so it's not all so overwhelming .

HeatherPR

Certified Ski Diva
Yes. I have a thing about heights, too, so I understand where you're coming from. If something is too high or too exposed, I get somewhat panicky, I've had it hit me particularly hard at the peak of Big Sky, and it's really no fun.

I have two ways of dealing with it:

1) I get out of that area as fast as I can. Once I'm lower down — say, where there are some trees and it's not so wide open — I feel a lot better.

1) I take slow, deep breaths. I breathe in, deeply and slowly. then breathe out, slowly. Really, it does help calm you down.

I also don't like lifts that are too high or too exposed, so I tend to chat a lot with my seat mates. It keeps me distracted, and that helps.

When are you going to Taos? Did you know that Diva West is there the last week of February?
Thanks so much. This is really helpful! I agree with you on some of those very exposed lifts. I always tell my husband to start talking to me when I get nervous. I am going to Taos during their Women's ski week. I have heard that Diva West will also be meeting that week too. Unfortunately I'm a new member to the Ski Diva forum so I haven't unlocked the info yet about the week and meet ups. :(

HeatherPR

Certified Ski Diva
Here's some insight into the lifts at Taos. Most of the lifts have been around for a while so they aren't unusually high off the ground.

Lift 1 goes up a steep incline but if you don't turn around to look at the view, that shouldn't be too much of a concern. Same thing for Lift 2. Lift 8 is higher off the ground at the beginning when it goes over Tell Glade. After that, it's fine unless it's windy near the top. For those lifts on the front side, when you unload there is plenty of flat space and you aren't overlooking a drop.

The top of Lift 2 is where you get the first view of Kachina Peak. Can see the view in the distance without having to be near the edge. Can be a little tricky if there isn't good visibility the first time you go down Honeysuckle, which is a green cat track to start with. It widens out after a bit. That's the only way to get over to the "back side" where Lift 4 is located. Ski Week classes for advanced beginners or low intermediates may stay over on the front side for a day or two depending on the weather.

The lifts that are the hardest to deal with for people who are nervous about heights are the Lift 7 and Lift 7A. They are old lifts with no safety bar. Lift 7 is a triple with a bench seat. Lift 7A is a center-pole double. Taking those two lifts is one way to return to the main base from the back side. It's also possible to return taking a long cat track called Rubezahl.

View attachment 20486

View attachment 20485

Lift 7A, February 2023
View attachment 20483

Lift 7A, February 2019
View attachment 20484
I love this! I SO appreciate your summary of the lifts! Having this info before heading west is really helpful. I can prepare a bit more especially if I decide to take lift 7/7a, and be a bit more mentally ready! Thank you for taking the time to lay out all this information, and the pics are great too!

HeatherPR

Certified Ski Diva
Lots of great advice above. The brain is truly weird. I’ve never had vertigo or similar problems skiing, but when I hike in the mountains I can’t go close to ledges or any sheer drop off, I literally feel paralyzed. My friend said, “you ski off the top of mountains higher than this, how can this scare you?” My response: those mountains are covered with snow and I don’t drop straight down 3000 feet!
SO funny! I have the opposite. I guess I worry my skis will get some turbo speed out of no where and send me flying off the edge. Totally comical and irrational. :smile: Brains are weird.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva

View attachment 20486

View attachment 20485

Lift 7A, February 2023
View attachment 20483

Lift 7A, February 2019
View attachment 20484
Ah 7 heaven.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
You also might want to buy Boost oxygen in a can. They sell it at Bumps market. Breathe the scenery all in. Think of how gorgeous it is and keep your edges of your mouth pointed upward.

newbieM

Angel Diva
SO funny! I have the opposite. I guess I worry my skis will get some turbo speed out of no where and send me flying off the edge. Totally comical and irrational. :smile: Brains are weird.
Ha ha I think our brains are the same. I sometimes feel like my skis may speed ahead of me even though I am going slow and in control.

I also learned in my 40s and I’m on my 3rd season. Have an amazing time in Taos, it is on the wish list for next year.

HeatherPR

Certified Ski Diva
Ha ha I think our brains are the same. I sometimes feel like my skis may speed ahead of me even though I am going slow and in control.

I also learned in my 40s and I’m on my 3rd season. Have an amazing time in Taos, it is on the wish list for next year.
Agree! Congrats on your third season of skiing! It’s brave of us to learn as adults!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly