• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Too Damn Early

newboots

Angel Diva
Filled with enthusiasm (it snowed here night before last), I drove up to the Catskills and went to Hunter. It was a rough morning - I locked my keys in my apartment, which meant I had to walk to my daughter's apartment (5 blocks) wearing my ski pants and jacket. Eventually I got to the mountain.

Although a number of trails were open, I was limited because many of the open trails were blues that required a trip down "Hell's Gate" to reach them. I don't do black trails alone on the first day of the season. I chose Belt Parkway, a long winding blue. Near the top the snow was pretty good, but as I descended it got thinner and crunchier. I was not able to practice carving, my newfound semi-skill. The snow/ice/crud was too unpredictable, as were the boys on snowboards. And my legs were so tired!

I had a good time, really, but it was certainly not worth the nearly 90-minute drive. I'll have to wait a little longer, or drive to Mt. Snow!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Filled with enthusiasm (it snowed here night before last), I drove up to the Catskills and went to Hunter. It was a rough morning - I locked my keys in my apartment, which meant I had to walk to my daughter's apartment (5 blocks) wearing my ski pants and jacket. Eventually I got to the mountain.

Although a number of trails were open, I was limited because many of the open trails were blues that required a trip down "Hell's Gate" to reach them. I don't do black trails alone on the first day of the season. I chose Belt Parkway, a long winding blue. Near the top the snow was pretty good, but as I descended it got thinner and crunchier. I was not able to practice carving, my newfound semi-skill. The snow/ice/crud was too unpredictable, as were the boys on snowboards. And my legs were so tired!

I had a good time, really, but it was certainly not worth the nearly 90-minute drive. I'll have to wait a little longer, or drive to Mt. Snow!
but you did get out there. So you get points! At least for me!

I taught my last in studio Pilates session until Christmas Eve today. I am very gratified at all my clients who are sad that I am leaving until then. I will miss them, too! I will teach online but it’s not the same as being there and using the equipment. And honestly I do make a lot more money working in person! But the mountains call and I must answer!

MissySki

Angel Diva

Oof the keys bit would have driven me batty.. hate when I do that sort of thing! This is literally why I immediately changed the lock on my ski condo to a keypad access and will be doing the same to the ski locker. I have a bad feeling that someday I'd leave a key down in MA and be very upset when I got to Maine. Technically the management company has copies of our keys and passcodes in case of an emergency situation (or lockout situation..) but I so don't want to deal with that!

On the early season conditions.. well it is early season (and we had a late start to getting cold) so don't be too hard on the mountain or yourself. :smile: I had a blast last Friday at Sunday River, the snow was soft and started to bump up throughout the day with more loose snow on the trail edges as the middle got scraped off. The conditions made it fun even though there were only 3 real ways down the mountain, which would have gotten monotonous otherwise. However, even though there are blue trails open for 2 of the ways down, they list everything currently as Expert Only terrain to account for variable conditions and more crowded trails. People don't seem to listen, but at least they try.. The last 2 runs I took, I saw 3 sleds go down which is what sealed the deal that I was done for the day. I didn't want to be out on the trails with who was left out at that point.

newboots

Angel Diva
but you did get out there. So you get points! At least for me!

I taught my last in studio Pilates session until Christmas Eve today. I am very gratified at all my clients who are sad that I am leaving until then. I will miss them, too! I will teach online but it’s not the same as being there and using the equipment. And honestly I do make a lot more money working in person! But the mountains call and I must answer!
Thanks for the points!

I have a lot of conditioning to do after being sidelined much of the summer. And those muscles down the outside of the legs! I forgot their name. Adductor or the other one?

newboots

Angel Diva
The last 2 runs I took, I saw 3 sleds go down which is what sealed the deal that I was done for the day.
Yikes!

While resting in the shop, I chatted with the bootfitter and a patrol guy who came in. There were only 2 patrolfolks on today! He said, “It’s fine as long as we only have two trails open.” Remember last year when Hunter closed for several days due to too many of their patrol staff out with Covid? Yikes.
I saw no sleds, but I wasn’t on the mountain all that long.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the points!

I have a lot of conditioning to do after being sidelined much of the summer. And those muscles down the outside of the legs! I forgot their name. Adductor or the other one?
Adductors pull your legs together. You ‘add’ them too the centerline. Abbductors to open the legs, ’stealed away’, aka abducted from the centerline.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yikes!

While resting in the shop, I chatted with the bootfitter and a patrol guy who came in. There were only 2 patrolfolks on today! He said, “It’s fine as long as we only have two trails open.” Remember last year when Hunter closed for several days due to too many of their patrol staff out with Covid? Yikes.
I saw no sleds, but I wasn’t on the mountain all that long.

Yikes is right! Two patrollers does not seem like enough.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Adductors pull your legs together. You ‘add’ them too the centerline. Abbductors to open the legs, ’stealed away’, aka abducted from the centerline.

Thanks for that! Those were the muscles talking to me as well. Which I was slightly annoyed by because I feel like I work those out quite a bit with barre classes.

newboots

Angel Diva
So it was the adductors!

I have exercises for that. I'm supposed to do them!
Back to the gym tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna