• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

To Remount or Not To Remount

cskis88

Certified Ski Diva
I want to move my bindings back on my fatter skis after spending the day on a new pair that are mounted quite a bit further back. It took about a minute to get used to more tip and I think I like it. I think I have read every thread on the subject that I could find, but I am still debating (yeah, overthinking). These are both “all-mountain” skis with a similar rocker profile and I did get the Sheeva 10s for deeper, softer snow. The K2s (Mindbender 88 Ti) were kind of an impulse buy. There looks to be 4 cm difference, although I was informed by a Diva that it is spec’ed at three. They are quite different skis, don’t have issues turning either. I am thinking of remounting the Sheevas 2 cm back and welcome any opinions, especially if you like your bindings back a little from factory recommendation. I am 5’4 1/2” and not a lightweight. Not sure why this is such a tough call! Lol. I am just finding I liked the way the K2s ski better and think it is partly due to too much tail on the Sheevas for my liking now that I have something to compare them to. Added some pics.

Attachments

• 5E7CD0C9-2AEA-4B3A-B1CD-16DA67C978E2.jpeg
    5E7CD0C9-2AEA-4B3A-B1CD-16DA67C978E2.jpeg
    28.4 KB · Views: 8
  • CEEA0021-3650-42F6-9BFD-61EAC20E1318.jpeg
    CEEA0021-3650-42F6-9BFD-61EAC20E1318.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 37A82564-3C77-4A37-9CB8-AD83F8CF4D1A.jpeg
    37A82564-3C77-4A37-9CB8-AD83F8CF4D1A.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 7DF06732-B392-4D00-8EA8-D470A30684E0.jpeg
    7DF06732-B392-4D00-8EA8-D470A30684E0.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 8

elemmac

Angel Diva
IMHO, it's comparing apples to oranges here. Every ski has it's own anatomy. You cannot really compare mount points solely by where they fall in relation to the center of the ski. In this case, your Sheeva has more tip and tail rocker, flatter camber underfoot and a more rounded tail shape. All of these things affects where you want to be on your ski, and how it skis.

This is not to say that you shouldn't move the Sheeva back or you won't enjoy it. I just wouldn't do it based on how the K2 skis and where it's mounted.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Slightly different dilemma, but I am wondering if I can re-use holes...I took all-mountain bindings off of my Auras a few years ago in favor of tele bindings, and now want to put those old all-mountain bindings back on in the same position as before. Let's see if he wants to re-use the holes...

cskis88

Certified Ski Diva
IMHO, it's comparing apples to oranges here. Every ski has it's own anatomy. You cannot really compare mount points solely by where they fall in relation to the center of the ski. In this case, your Sheeva has more tip and tail rocker, flatter camber underfoot and a more rounded tail shape. All of these things affects where you want to be on your ski, and how it skis.

This is not to say that you shouldn't move the Sheeva back or you won't enjoy it. I just wouldn't do it based on how the K2 skis and where it's mounted.
That does make sense, for sure.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@cskis88 you could try to demo a pair of Sheevas at -2 or any other spot and see if you really like it before you drill new holes. May cost $$ but the saying 'measure twice cut once' may apply here as sometimes because of the hole spacing you may not be able to be exactly -2 when remounted. Or you could put a demo type binding or Marker Schizo and play around.

cskis88

Certified Ski Diva
@cskis88 you could try to demo a pair of Sheevas at -2 or any other spot and see if you really like it before you drill new holes. May cost $$ but the saying 'measure twice cut once' may apply here as sometimes because of the hole spacing you may not be able to be exactly -2 when remounted. Or you could put a demo type binding or Marker Schizo and play around.

That’s a good idea. I am starting to waffle a bit on messing with them. I can ski them just fine and am thinking I should leave well enough alone. They are what they are. Way too easy to obsess and overthink.

cskis88

Certified Ski Diva
Got this reply from the guys at Blister Reviews. Makes sense, as I did just get the skis tuned for the first time and while I like the sharp edges, there are trade offs. I will have to Google because while it sounds simple, I have no idea how to do this.

“Before remounting, I would try detuning them a bit. We have seen some hooky behavior on the men's version and a bit of detune on the tips and tails helped out. I would take a gummy stone and make about 10 aggressive passes at a 45 degree angle on the last ~6-10" of edge on the tips and tails.“

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Got this reply from the guys at Blister Reviews. Makes sense, as I did just get the skis tuned for the first time and while I like the sharp edges, there are trade offs. I will have to Google because while it sounds simple, I have no idea how to do this.

“Before remounting, I would try detuning them a bit. We have seen some hooky behavior on the men's version and a bit of detune on the tips and tails helped out. I would take a gummy stone and make about 10 aggressive passes at a 45 degree angle on the last ~6-10" of edge on the tips and tails.“
100% agree with this. I demo'd the Sheeva 10 last year and loved it straight away. Ended up buying the Rustler 10s (half price and tbh I prefer the top sheet). First few days on them they felt very hooky and just not as confidence inspiring as the Sheeva demo had been. A few days of what I'd term 'on-mountain de-tuning' - ie some firmer bumps and groomers - has really helped and now I'm really happy with them. Before that I was considering the gummy stone but never got round to it!

I usually use a gummy stone to de-tune the tips and tails on my skis after I've edged them. Shown here at 1:05:

cskis88

Certified Ski Diva
100% agree with this. I demo'd the Sheeva 10 last year and loved it straight away. Ended up buying the Rustler 10s (half price and tbh I prefer the top sheet). First few days on them they felt very hooky and just not as confidence inspiring as the Sheeva demo had been. A few days of what I'd term 'on-mountain de-tuning' - ie some firmer bumps and groomers - has really helped and now I'm really happy with them. Before that I was considering the gummy stone but never got round to it!

I usually use a gummy stone to de-tune the tips and tails on my skis after I've edged them. Shown here at 1:05:
Thank you! :smile: I confess I was enjoying them more before I got the edges sharpened...

cskis88

Certified Ski Diva
A quick update: I did de-tune (probably more than what was recommended) and finally skied these again yesterday after it dumped all week long. HUGE difference. I think it’s key to keep the tips and tails of these skis on the duller side. They are still sharp underfoot, so not totally useless on harder, icy surfaces, but they are back to their “sweet spot” in soft snow. Long story short: I am leaving the bindings put and will use the K2s when conditions warrant (icier, crustier, spring snow, etc.).

cskis88

Certified Ski Diva
Oh, and that video was immensely helpful!! :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly