• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

To Complain, or not to Complain?

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
That is the question.

My best friend in the whole world is coming to see me in Aspen. She's flying in to Denver tomorrow night around 10:30 PM. I am leaving this evening to CO Springs to visit my folks before her arrival.

Now - as with most weekends this season so far, a storm is brewing. They are calling for 1-3 FEET of snow to fall between Saturday and Monday AM. Denver area should be fine, so no worries about her flight. However, my drive back to Aspen is going to be a nightmare. I'm going to attempt to drive back late Sat. night from DIA, however, after last weekend's closing of I-70...it's not looking good.

Good news - if I can get back home...Sunday's going to be one hell of a powder day!!!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, I'm with you. It's been miserable coaching all season but I want the snow. I was just hoping that things would hold off until I could get home on Saturday evening. Let's both cross our fingers that it starts of mildly enough that our drives on Saturday night are easy going. Please be safe on the road that late!

skigrl27

Thanks. I think I should stop reading the weather reports. I've been reading them all morning. The NWS Warnings are downright frightening and the forecast for us making it all the way back to Aspen is bleak.

However, I'll be with my 2 favorite people in the whole world...so if we do have to pull off I'm sure we'll make a party out of it!

Gina23

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
well if all else fails, you can party with us down in Denver :smile: all of us down here have already made the decision to stay only at a mile high this weekend instead of head up for the powder... i'll wait until the highway clears. yesterday i was at breck and all of those tourists are scared $hitle$$ of this incoming storm... if you make it up there/are brave enough you should have some great skiing! have fun! just remember there are plenty of places to stay in denver if the highway is truly going to be that bad.

Bravosarah

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pack a kit too, just in case. (one with plenty of Bailey's and cocoa mix)

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

I don't see any reason for complaints. You'll have your best friend with you, and will have plenty of new snow on the mountain when you DO get back there. Win-win. :wink:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

I don't see any reason for complaints. You'll have your best friend with you, and will have plenty of new snow on the mountain when you DO get back there. Win-win. :wink:

Yeah, I think it's an all-around good deal for you! Although, if my best friend and I were both stuck in Denver b/c the interstate were closed due to snow, we'd probably be slightly miffed. We've got great stories, though, from Jan. 05 when Tahoe got epic amounts of snow!

This reminds me - I have a friend who used to work at Mt. Rainier, and the Park Service issued its employees/contractors these containers or something where they were supposed to put essentials in case the volcano woke up and blew and they had to evacuate. I asked my pal what was in his container. He's like, "A bottle of Scotch." :laugh:

skigrl27

I called my friend & asked if she can grab an earlier flight...it's looking like she might be able to get into Denver by Noon-ish. That way a full POW day on Sunday is all set! And we'll be able to travel back at the front end of the storm...hopefully!

If not - whatever. I'll pack a "survival" kit, I'll have my best girlfriend and my man with me, we'll make it....eventually.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a permanent kit in my car with food, water, flashlight, compass, waterproof matches, poncho, emergency blanket and sleeping bag. I also always pack clothes/toiletries in case I'm forced to stay overnight.

skigrl27

Update!!

My friend got the early flight. She's now landing at 12:15 - I hope we can get over Vail pass before it closes...but I think we should be able to!!

Yay! Don't think I'm still not gonna pack the Bailey's & Cocoa!!!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Trip/storm report requested when you have time! Party on.

skigrl27

Status Update:

Friday's travels - no problem. The boyfriend met the parents...things went well. Woke up, had an awesome breakfast and off to DIA we went. It was 55 and sunny in Denver but looking West the mountains were dark, cloudy & downright scary looking. Regardless, we had to get home so we had no choice but to drive right into it.

It started snowing once we got up high. The Eisenhower Tunnel was still in good shape, but Vail pass was another story. Vail Pass closed down going Eastbound (the other way) almost right after we passed through. After that, it cleared up for the rest of our voyage. We got home safe, went bowling that night & got drunk. It was great!

Aspen got POUNDED with this storm. Snowed all night and all day on Sunday, Sunday night and is still snowing this morning and is supposed to continue throughout the day/night. Totals are looking to be around 4 feet for the whole storm!!! More snow Tuesday afternoon and I have Wed, Thur, Friday OFF from work!!!

Epic ski day at Highlands Sunday. Looking to take a few runs today also and make some fresh tracks again. Now is the time to head to CO for skiing...no doubt.

:snow: :snow: :snow:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad you made it back safely. I drove home from Copper Saturday afternoon/evening and while it took way too long I made it safe and sound. I can't say that for the vehicle I saw up on it's passenger side, lights still on and it must've just happened when I went by in the opposite direction as no police/ambulance were there yet. That was at the Bakerville entrance to I-70 westbound. Yowza, I can't quite figure out how that happened. I hope the people in the vehicle were okay.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna