• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tips to cleanly turn your skis

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just an update: had my first private 1 on 1 lesson with a new instructor and OMG I LOVE HIM. He is much more technical than my previous instructor and I appreciate that. I'm not trying to bad mouth my previous instructor by the way, he is a wonderful guy and suggested a great ski destination for skiiers of my family's calibur, but I did not realize what I was missing!

While on the surface, I heard many of the same things - too far forward, need to get tips uphill, the difference was that he actually asked permission to adjust me because I thought I was imitating his stance, but I was not at all really. Man, I was really hunched forward guys. He had me doing drills on skiing with my hands up, another one he called a thousand steps where we stepped through all the turns, and side slips to downhill to edge and back again to make parallel short turns and control speed through them. It was so tiring, but GUYS I DID IT!! I was successfully making short parallel turns on the steepest green run by the end. :yahoo:

Turns out I was really really far over my skis and even when I thought I was standing up straight, I was still leaning much too far forward in an aggressive stance, which made dive bombing everything really easy which was the opposite of what I wanted. We also went over foot placement in side slips including going backwards - because I am still not putting enough weight on my heels due to my habit of leaning too far forward.

Interestingly, he noted after our lesson that if he had been my instructor from the beginning, he'd have done direct to parallel with the type of habits I have. I didn't even know direct to parallel was a thing. I guess the wedge is becoming too much of a crutch? Or maybe it's cause I like speed? I dunno.

Another thing I learned - I had a lousy bootfitter. He asked me where I had gone and I told him the name and asked if he knew them. He said no, but he knew where not to recommend to anybody now :tongue:. He told me he also has hard to fit feet and had gone to Whistler to see someone with a G name (sorry can't recall), but he knew that might be out of the way for me right now. He did show me how to tighten what I had on.

As soon as I got home, I decided to make an appointment for a signature fit with the Seattle Flagship EVO since I live in walking distance. This is their high priced boot fitting and offers modifications, inserts, heat molding and boot exchanges even in used/modded boots for the entire year. There seems to have been a cancellation Monday morning and I scooped it up cause all the other appointments are 3 weeks out. Work be damned, lol. Does anyone have any experience with EVO boot fitting?

The other thing I did when I got home... called up Crystal Mountain to request another lesson with this instructor! He reminded me that we are all still learning - and he said he even still takes a ski lesson each week as his continuing education even though he's been a ski instructor for over a decade - there's always more to learn. So thanks everyone for accompanying me on this journey and supporting my learning even at my age. I've been lucky enough to find others who are "x years young" and who are also "still learning". It's really encouraging!
Your post made my day. Joy!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just an update: had my first private 1 on 1 lesson with a new instructor and OMG I LOVE HIM. He is much more technical than my previous instructor and I appreciate that. I'm not trying to bad mouth my previous instructor by the way, he is a wonderful guy and suggested a great ski destination for skiiers of my family's calibur, but I did not realize what I was missing!

While on the surface, I heard many of the same things - too far forward, need to get tips uphill, the difference was that he actually asked permission to adjust me because I thought I was imitating his stance, but I was not at all really. Man, I was really hunched forward guys. He had me doing drills on skiing with my hands up, another one he called a thousand steps where we stepped through all the turns, and side slips to downhill to edge and back again to make parallel short turns and control speed through them. It was so tiring, but GUYS I DID IT!! I was successfully making short parallel turns on the steepest green run by the end. :yahoo:

Turns out I was really really far over my skis and even when I thought I was standing up straight, I was still leaning much too far forward in an aggressive stance, which made dive bombing everything really easy which was the opposite of what I wanted. We also went over foot placement in side slips including going backwards - because I am still not putting enough weight on my heels due to my habit of leaning too far forward.

Interestingly, he noted after our lesson that if he had been my instructor from the beginning, he'd have done direct to parallel with the type of habits I have. I didn't even know direct to parallel was a thing. I guess the wedge is becoming too much of a crutch? Or maybe it's cause I like speed? I dunno.

Another thing I learned - I had a lousy bootfitter. He asked me where I had gone and I told him the name and asked if he knew them. He said no, but he knew where not to recommend to anybody now :tongue:. He told me he also has hard to fit feet and had gone to Whistler to see someone with a G name (sorry can't recall), but he knew that might be out of the way for me right now. He did show me how to tighten what I had on.

As soon as I got home, I decided to make an appointment for a signature fit with the Seattle Flagship EVO since I live in walking distance. This is their high priced boot fitting and offers modifications, inserts, heat molding and boot exchanges even in used/modded boots for the entire year. There seems to have been a cancellation Monday morning and I scooped it up cause all the other appointments are 3 weeks out. Work be damned, lol. Does anyone have any experience with EVO boot fitting?

The other thing I did when I got home... called up Crystal Mountain to request another lesson with this instructor! He reminded me that we are all still learning - and he said he even still takes a ski lesson each week as his continuing education even though he's been a ski instructor for over a decade - there's always more to learn. So thanks everyone for accompanying me on this journey and supporting my learning even at my age. I've been lucky enough to find others who are "x years young" and who are also "still learning". It's really encouraging!
Finding an instructor who speaks to you, that is you understand them and they see what you need is amazing! Good job and good plan to keep moving ahead with this person. :clap:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Finding an instructor who speaks to you, that is you understand them and they see what you need is amazing! Good job and good plan to keep moving ahead with this person. :clap:
This gave me a huge grin in how it was worded. :becky:

I had the perfect solution to this: I married my ski instructor. Life-long instruction, chasing around with various ski schools over the years (free ski), getting input from other instructors, being “guinea-pigged” for drills in my intermediate years. (Oh those pivot slips...)

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
This is season #48 for us.

MissySki

Angel Diva
This gave me a huge grin in how it was worded. :becky:

I had the perfect solution to this: I married my ski instructor. Life-long instruction, chasing around with various ski schools over the years (free ski), getting input from other instructors, being “guinea-pigged” for drills in my intermediate years. (Oh those pivot slips...)

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
This is season #48 for us.
Awww that's so cute!!

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
awww, love this...also, hmmm, marry a ski instructor.. Thats ONE way to get really great at skiing!!! Unfortunately, I cant get my hubby to ski with me. I get it, he's afraid to get hurt (or embarrassed? )

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That would have been George McConkey @Evo Village Sports. We are lucky to have multiple superstar bootfitters in Whistler. Also at Evo VS is Barry Allison, who comes highly recommended by several other Divas. (The third is Erin Keam at Control Room - despite having worked with George for 20yrs now, I'm really intrigued because he's a Level 4 instructor - like Barry - and offers a package where you ski with him for 1/2 a day so he can analyze your stance issues IRL. That removes the problem I have of describing what hurts and when and why...) Anyway, hope your own branch of Evo delivered and that your boots are working for you now!

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm really intrigued because he's a Level 4 instructor - like Barry - and offers a package where you ski with him for 1/2 a day so he can analyze your stance issues IRL.
Oh wow, that certainly is so tempting!!

Anyway, hope your own branch of Evo delivered and that your boots are working for you now!
They really did, thanks for asking! I think I've found my bootfitter. His name is Andrew and he's really awesome - very knowledgeable and thorough.

I was in the store the other day just picking up an extra balaclava, not for boot fitting. He saw me and went out of his way to come over and say hi, ask how the boots were working out since I had come back in about some issues with the forward lean on the boots. We had heat molded the shells in addition to install some other hardware to make them more upright and he wanted to know if I'd skied on them and how they were feeling.

He really cares about getting the right fit for me and I really appreciate it! I had some bad misconceptions that a "big box store" would only try to push boots they had in stock, etc, one and done. I am not ashamed to say I was 100% wrong, at least about Evo!

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They really did, thanks for asking! I think I've found my bootfitter. His name is Andrew and he's really awesome - very knowledgeable and thorough.
What a small small world we live in, I'm pretty sure Andrew prerviously worked at our local ski shop all way down here in NZ, he moved back to the US a couple of years ago and works for Evo in Seattle I think. If it is him he is an incredible bootfitter !!! xx

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What a small small world we live in, I'm pretty sure Andrew prerviously worked at our local ski shop all way down here in NZ, he moved back to the US a couple of years ago and works for Evo in Seattle I think. If it is him he is an incredible bootfitter !!! xx
I think it's him! Pretty sure he mentioned that he'd lived in NZ!!!!! And yes he is INCREDIBLE. You know, he knows about this board. Wait till I tell him he got recognized! Small world indeed!

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think it's him! Pretty sure he mentioned that he'd lived in NZ!!!!! And yes he is INCREDIBLE. You know, he knows about this board. Wait till I tell him he got recognized! Small world indeed!
Thats so great ! He was fantastic at Gnomes (the local ski shop) and he's the most incredible skier, tell him Ali Marsh says hi :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna