• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tips for Sunday River with a baby?

knolan12

Angel Diva
Hi Divas!

We're headed to Sunday River for the weekend before Christmas with my in-laws and staying at house that is supposedly 5 minutes from the mountain. I've never been to Sunday River so not familiar with other than what my husband has told me (and have read here!).

I delivered a future Ski Diva this year who will be 10 months on this trip. She's obviously not ready for skis and the daycare is closed this year there so we're sorting out who's on baby duty when so my husband and I can ski. Our original thought was to have her in the South Ridge lodge in her stroller and we can take turns sitting with her, but it looks like limited capacity will be allowed in the lodges. If for some reason that changes, is there a way to even get her stroller inside? Like is the entrance up a set of stairs or is it accessible from the ground?

My mother-in-law is supposedly not interested in skiing this year so we could potentially just leave them at the house, but check-out is at 11 AM on a day we were planning on skiing. We do have a toboggan as well as snow gear for my daughter so we could bundle them up and have them hang outside, but I'm not sure what that looks like. Is there a place for people to lounge outside, perhaps with heaters? We generally only ski till lunch and since it'll be my first time back in two seasons, I think we'll be lucky if we last that long too :bounce:

Thanks!

newboots

Angel Diva
I've only been to Sunday River once. Paging @MissySki and @lisamamot (and I'm sure I'm missing someone).

I recommend you bring:

* flexibility

* your sense of humor

* deep appreciation for grandma

* more diapers than you think you need.

I think that about covers it.

MissySki

Angel Diva
There are seats and firepits outside of South Ridge. The main entrance does require stairs to go up to the lodge from the parking lot side. There are ways around it on the outside to get through, though I'm unsure if it would work with a stroller. I've walked through in ski boots a couple of times and can't remember how wide open it was. @elemmac do you recall that? I definitely followed you through the spot I'm thinking of when we were in boots going to tailgate last spring! :smile:

A less crowded option could also be Whitecap Lodge (as long as that lift is open by then), but there are definitely stairs to get up there to the seating area once inside. There is a firepit and picnic tables outside, but can get a little crowded depending on the timing with Shipyard opening. Maybe not this early in the season and before the holiday, not sure. You could use the stroller directly from front to back without stairs though.

I will keep thinking on this specific topic, but wanted to also say that I should certainly be up this weekend and would love to meet up at some point!

@lisamamot, @BackCountryGirl @elemmac any ideas?

knolan12

Angel Diva
@MissySki Appreciate all this info! Love that there are firepits outside, that might be the solution.

Definitely love the idea of meeting up! The plan is to drive up Friday and ski Saturday and Sunday :smile:

elemmac

Angel Diva
I don't think any of the base lodges are really what I would consider stroller friendly, as Missyski pointed out, there are stairs in all of them (I would consider Barker the least accessible though). I've seen people carry strollers up the stairs in South Ridge...one person on the back on the handle, and one grabs the front...and lift-off for the tiny human inside.

For South Ridge: There is definitely a way around to the back without any stairs...I've biked around there many times...plenty of space (see dotted lines on photo below). There's also a ramp to the right of the main entrance, if you walk past the ticket windows. The ramp would lead me to believe that there might be a handicap accessible elevator in that area...but I can't picture it.

There used to be an entrance on the corner of the building (where my dotted lines end), that doesn't require any stairs to get inside. They revamped their cafeteria though to provide walk-up, outdoor, take out windows...that remodel might have closed that entrance (I haven't been inside that area since they made changes).

You can also see in the photo below all of the picnic tables out on the backside, they also have a lot of Adirondack chairs for hanging out on the patio...no heaters that I know of.

1636468660791.png

Barker has two flights of stairs outside just to get to the main floor. Then, the best place to hang out (with views of the slopes) is another flight of stairs up from there. If you have an "all-terrain" stroller, you could easily push it around the left side of the building...but you're still just on the main floor.

Missyski gave a great summary of White Cap...my personal favorite to avoid crowds (and I love the Shipyard Brew Haus in that lodge). But if you're looking to trade off skiing with your husband, you're all the way at the eastern end of the resort, so it may limit your ability to access a lot of the mountain before it's time to trade off.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I don't think any of the base lodges are really what I would consider stroller friendly, as Missyski pointed out, there are stairs in all of them (I would consider Barker the least accessible though). I've seen people carry strollers up the stairs in South Ridge...one person on the back on the handle, and one grabs the front...and lift-off for the tiny human inside.

For South Ridge: There is definitely a way around to the back without any stairs...I've biked around there many times...plenty of space (see dotted lines on photo below). There's also a ramp to the right of the main entrance, if you walk past the ticket windows. The ramp would lead me to believe that there might be a handicap accessible elevator in that area...but I can't picture it.

There used to be an entrance on the corner of the building (where my dotted lines end), that doesn't require any stairs to get inside. They revamped their cafeteria though to provide walk-up, outdoor, take out windows...that remodel might have closed that entrance (I haven't been inside that area since they made changes).

You can also see in the photo below all of the picnic tables out on the backside, they also have a lot of Adirondack chairs for hanging out on the patio...no heaters that I know of.

View attachment 16921

Barker has two flights of stairs outside just to get to the main floor. Then, the best place to hang out (with views of the slopes) is another flight of stairs up from there. If you have an "all-terrain" stroller, you could easily push it around the left side of the building...but you're still just on the main floor.

Missyski gave a great summary of White Cap...my personal favorite to avoid crowds (and I love the Shipyard Brew Haus in that lodge). But if you're looking to trade off skiing with your husband, you're all the way at the eastern end of the resort, so it may limit your ability to access a lot of the mountain before it's time to trade off.

Nice mapping!

Good point on Whitecap definitely not being centrally located. Should have mentioned that. My thought there was definitely crowd density
and whether you might have a better chance of hanging around inside versus other busier locations if there are capacity restrictions or timeframes for how long someone can stay inside.

Here’s maybe another oddball one, but what about a lift ride to the top? The peak lodge would be great as a tradeoff location imo, I love hanging there most for warm up breaks. The cinnabuns are the best! Not sure how they are regulating people there as I didn’t go in at all last season.. I assume you can bring a stroller on the gondola, and I know people go up for the view without skis in the winter. Not sure how easy it’d be to roll in the snow to the lodge or not. :smile:

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Which lodge did we meet up in last Diva East? I remember an elevator in that one. I’d honestly be surprised if they don’t all have elevators to make them accessible. The main lodge has a ramp inside near the coffee place/ cafeteria. And any lodge that is used as a base for adaptive sports should be fully accessible.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Which lodge did we meet up in last Diva East? I remember an elevator in that one. I’d honestly be surprised if they don’t all have elevators to make them accessible. The main lodge has a ramp inside near the coffee place/ cafeteria. And any lodge that is used as a base for adaptive sports should be fully accessible.

That was Whitecap. Is there an elevator?? Gosh I never even noticed if there is, but I guess that would definitely make sense to have!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It’s right next to the stairs. Probably gets used more by staff bringing things up to the bar than any thing else, but it’s there.

MissySki

Angel Diva
It’s right next to the stairs. Probably gets used more by staff bringing things up to the bar than any thing else, but it’s there.

That's what I was thinking when you said it, they must have a way to bring supplies up and down for deliveries etc.! I'll have to pay more attention next time too haha. I don't actually go upstairs often there, usually only to Shipyard on the first floor. Though there is a new restaurant upstairs now as well and I haven't gotten to try it due to Covid still..

knolan12

Angel Diva
Between the elevator and Shipyard, White Cap sounds like it might be worth the trek haha

@elemmac Thank you so much for the map and info! Really appreciate the info and detail.

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In addition to all the great advice above, think about asking for a late checkout. Doesn't hurt to ask and may turn out to cost you nothing. Then your MIL and baby don't have to worry about finding a place to be on the last day if the stars don't align for them to hang out at the lodge.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We took my daughter to Alta at 11 mo and brought her bob stroller and hung out and traded off. Great trip! Kids that age love checking out ski lodges!

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
If you're a Facebook user, there is a Team Bethel group and a Sunday River Enthusiasts group. You might also be able to get and vet a local sitter this far in advance. There are no kids seasonal programs that weekend so many young coaches are around and may not be working. The snowsports school typically maintains a list of young people willing to sit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna