• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tips for skiing moguls?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen it mentioned here that a lot of us want to improve our mogul skiing. Anyone have any tips or drills that would help?

I'm fine on smaller moguls. My problem is when they get big and icy, with steep troughs in between. Anyone have any advice for these?

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey Ski Diva,
When the moguls get big and icy one way would be to ski the tops of the moguls. If you look down a mogul field you can see bridges or spines (where the zipper line people arent) connecting the moguls.See if you can ski the tops and the spines without getting sucked into the troughs.Imagine in the troughs are puddles of water.Now keep your feet out of the water!!

This is only one way to ski a mogul field! More to come later!

T

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Well, that's a new one on me! Never considered trying that.

Where's a mogul field to try this on when you need one?????? :D

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When we ski the moguls there are certain skills we need to call upon.One of these is flexion and extension of the legs. These are your shock absorbers.

Try this: On some easy smallish bumps traverse across the hill.As you come up the top side of the bump absorb or suck up your legs.Now as you crest the bump begin to drive the tip down the backside maintainig contact with the snow! Be active here not passive.

Try this: just standing and imagine you have your skis on.Bend your leg upwards in a 45 degree anlge. Now take the tip of your ski and drive it downward the through the waist and on to the tail. It should feel like backwards bike pedaling.Tip,waist,tail,Tip,waist,tail. Like this:https://ourworld.cs.com/BBRNZ/Backpedal+animation.gif

Hope this make sense!!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I think I just have to get out there and try it. And I hope I can, before too long!

snowflake

Certified Ski Diva
Another visual for skiing the bumps along T's idea is to think about peddling a bicycle backwards to help you suck up the bumps.

snowflake

Certified Ski Diva
hmm I just happened to be at epic and someone else had talked about the back peddling technique...

Here's a fun animation

Backpedal+animation.gif

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We are on the same page here Snowflake I posted this in Post #5.

All good stuff!

T

snowflake

Certified Ski Diva
T

I understood what you're saying, I just wanted to give another way to visualize it or think about it

Jilly

Staff member
I like that animation. It's great. Also look at the hands. Also forward and low.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna