• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tips for skiing in the rain

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SING!

I'm skiing in the rain
just skiing in the rain
what a glorious feelin'
I'm skiing again!
I'm laughing at clouds
so dark up above
the sun's in my heart
and I'm ready for mush
Let the stormy clouds chase
everyone from the place
come on with the rain
lift lines are all gone
I've a smile on my face
I ski down the run
with a happy refrain
Just skiin'
Skiin' in the rain!

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Might as well joke about what we can't change! I'm having landlord issues, so this morning I was singing this chestnut:

Trailer for sale or rent,
Room to rent, fifty cents,
No phone, no pool, no pets,
I ain't got no cigarettes!

I got two hours of pushin' broom, buys an-
Eight by twelve four bit room, I'm a-
Man of means by no means--
King of the Road!

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I remember skiing in the rain several years ago in Valloire (France). It wasn't that bad actually, although all our ski gear was drenched. It was a good test to see if it was waterproof though, which fortunately mine was.

Also the hotel had a big room just for drying out ski gear which I've never come across before or since. Came in very handy though.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Australian Drover coats made of oilskin work well. We had a couple of ski coaches who wore these.

Those are a couple of FINE-looking coats!

My main ski gear is 100% softshells I brought in from Nordic skiing. They are all wind and water resistant, but when it's wet (or icy and I think I might fall and rip up my Sporthills) I wear a pair of thin waterproof rain shell pants from LLBean that keep any water off the lower regions. They weren't advertised as ski pants but were clearly made with this in mind, as they've got the knee-to-ankle zip and velcro at the bottom. I also have a North Face system ski jacket, and I take the lining out (because that *will* get nasty and wet), wear the shell, and put the hood up to deal with water on my helmet. I haven't been out in a downpour (and can't imagine why I'd want to) but when it's spitting rain or on a steady drizzle, or rain/snow/sleet/snow/rain/snow, etc. this approach keeps me dry. I hate being wet like a cat hates being wet.

Other than the goggles (and I'll be keeping an eye out for the gloves with a squeegee) the gloves are the only issue, and I find that if I use silk or high-tech glove liners, I won't notice that they're getting damp until I take them off...so I just make sure not to take them off until I'm done skiing.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
More questions.

SnowflakeADK and I went out yesterday morning to our local hill. It was snowing like crazy and predicted to change over to rain, but with a $12 special ticket that included breakfast and 2 hours on the hill, it was worth it.

As predicted, it went from 6 inches of freshies to sleet to rain. We enjoyed the untracked snow, but the last run down to the lodge was treacherous with huge piles of heavy wet snow.

I tested my equipment and found it lacking. The water-resistant finish allowed water to soak into the fabric. I was under the impression if I washed the jacket and put it in the dryer for a while, it would renew the finish. I stayed dry enough underneath, but the coat was heavy and wet.

The pants were another story. The water repellant finish didn't work at all. My base layer kept me dry, but the outer layers were soaked.
The back of my legs and seat were soaked through to the under layers.

Will NikWax or something else help the water bead up?

Do you waterproof/Nikwax your gloves? Mine were soaked on the outside, but the warm and dry inside.

And to ask a personal question, do you wear panties under your base layer? I always have, and mine were soaked (from the outside in) when I came in.

Last, a quick story. We actually had a lift operator say, "For $5, I will stop the lift and wipe off the seats for you." Sad, so sad.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I skied in rain this past Sunday, and the snow was soft and carve-able. Wearing Gore-Tex, it was certainly doable. Luckily, the rain turned to snow that night and we were blessed with a bunch of new white stuff the next day.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like the soft snow when it is raining, too. I just want the right equipment to keep me comfortable. We have a lot of snow left, unlike last year, and I don't want a little rain to stop me.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
2ski - feeling your pain, been there! Duofold makes a pantie that does well in the moisture-resisting department and is my choice for damp weather. As to the outerwear soaking through? Well, you can try to wash it all in plain water, to try to "unplug" the pores, then do a Nik-Wax or similar wash and treatment (spray>put in dryer). Last year, I had a pair of Cloudveil RPK pants (Gore-Tex) totally bomb on me, replaced them with TNF Gore-Tex pants, no issues.

This is weather in which Gore-Tex proves to be worth its weight in gold (usually....not in the case of my "late" pants last year).

Gloves: try the spray-then dry treatment. Might help a bit. Wear liners. Bring spares for changing.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gloves: try the spray-then dry treatment. Might help a bit. Wear liners. Bring spares for changing.

My hands were dry, but the outer layers on the gloves were soaked. I will bring a second pair next time.

Liners are out of the question for me. 1. There isn't room in my gloves for them. I have a hard enough time pulling on my gloves. I may go to a man's glove next time. 2. My hands are always too warm above 25*, comfortable from 15* to 25*, and just starting to get cool at zero.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I may go to a man's glove next time.
Do it. It's the only solution for my Amazonian appendages. :D Women's large tends to be +- equivalent of size 8. My hands are a 9. Men's or Bust. No biggie. I appreciate the extra room for liner option. DOES help.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Yesterday it was POURING rain. I saw a nifty glove on one of the patrollers. It's a neoprene work glove. He got it at Big R ranch supply; ;looked like just the ticket for really wet days.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Neoprene! But OMG, I think things would be damper INSIDE the glove for me than outside! :eek:

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Neoprene! But OMG, I think things would be damper INSIDE the glove for me than outside! :eek:

The key with neoprene is that it insulates when wet--which is why divers use it. The water layer inside the waterproof insulation gets warm and keeps them soggy but comfy. Can't imagine how much your hands would wrinkle up!

There's a company--forget the name--that makes neoprene clothes; a guy at my favorite coffee shop loves them for snowboarding.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna