• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

tips for rolling ankles

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
my daughter always looks like she effortlessly can turn, edge to edge. she can roll her ankles with such control, at any speed. HOW??? I feel like I cheat a step going edge to edge somehow. When I try to do it going slow, it's almost worse. Any tips?

brooksnow

Angel Diva
Not having seen you ski, I have a couple guesses.
I feel like I cheat a step going edge to edge somehow. When I try to do it going slow, it's almost worse.
The step that you may be cheating as you go edge to edge is a flat ski. Have you heard of 2-4-2? When turning you're on 2 edges, then the ski is flat with 4 edges on the snow, then the opposite 2 edges. This flat ski portion of the turn is always there, but in fast skiing it can be nearly imperceptible. When skiing slowly this 4 edges flat ski segment of a turn can feel ridiculously long as you ever so gently roll from 2 edges to a flat ski and over to the other 2 edges.

Another piece that is commonly missing when people try rolling from edge to edge is ankle flex. In bare feet stand up straight and try to roll your feet from edge to edge, left big toe and right little toe to left little toe and right big toe. Next flex your ankles so your knees are over your toes and roll from edge to edge. Which works better?

A third common issue going edge to edge is too much tip lead. Play with your tip lead while standing across the slope. How does edging feel when your feet are next to each other, when the uphill foot is a little bit ahead of the downhill foot, and when the uphill foot is far ahead of the downhill foot. You'll find a little tip lead allows you to get on your edges much more comfortably because the ergonomics just work better. Too much tip lead and your uphill ankle opens and you can't get on the edge of that uphill ski. Sideslip, stop, repeat.

Stance width can also be an issue. Try the same sideslipping exercise varying the width of your stance. How does edging work when your feet are right together, hip width, and far apart? I bet roughly hip width will allow your ankles and knees to roll together best.

Does any of this seem likely to you?

And, of course, how do your boots fit :wink:

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And, of course, how do your boots fit :wink:
HAHAHAHA, I had this same conversation with my ski instructor just yesterday while practicing side slipping! He says it is definitely my boots. getting fitted for a more performance oriented pair tomorrow!!

my daughter always looks like she effortlessly can turn, edge to edge. she can roll her ankles with such control, at any speed. HOW??? I feel like I cheat a step going edge to edge somehow. When I try to do it going slow, it's almost worse. Any tips?
@brooksnow mentioned stance and my instructor did too. Slightly narrower than hip width and feeling to push my knee down the hill to release edges, then slowly back to dig them back in worked best for me. I need custom insoles too - I was having to go very bowlegged to try to make up for my too large boot.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ok, so I did a little science in bare feet on my tile, so didnt do it too long bc I have bony feet, BUT, for me, going from edge to edge was easier with a narrower stance and flexed (forward) ankle. Maybe I am not "closing" my ankle angle enough skiing...interesting.....Also, I think when I learned, I had "athletic stance" drilled into my head, but for me, I think narrower stance could be better..gonna have to try this on snow

And Boots couldn't possibly be any more fitted, but I have considered getting a new footbed.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Deb has some terrific vids out this season.

@sorcamc , you said that you cheat going edge to edge. I like what @brooksnow said with 2-4-2 and everything else.

I also think of swooshing tails and wind shield wiping turns when I think of cheating the turn. It happens to the best of us in both ski and snowboard turns actually. We call it cutting off the top of the turn.

Extra attention to shaping the top of the turn helps. We cut it off generally bc the initiation phase of the turn especially in steep terrain is scary. Spending time to set up the turn correctly will help in the shaping phase (most important part of the turn) and finish.

side slips, pivot slips and garlands of those movements will help with getting an edged ski to flat to make 2-4-2 happen.

having tails follow the tips of the skis also help with reducing wind shield wiper turns. As does learning to set up a carve.

there are drills to help too! Have you done any? Also if you have any vid to share it will help…!

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will ask Kiera to record me and upload video next week. I think I prob do a 2-2-2 and rush the middle step/flat ski..so, yes, cut the top of the turn. Watching the video, I realized I def need to drill this with trusting my knee to open out more. Funny enough, recently, I kind of felt that made a big change- especially in the top of the turn. I think I may Aframe a bit.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
orrrrrr, come SKI with me!!! I promise I wont ask for lessons ;) Im a barrel of laughs ;) :smile: :smile: Hope to meet u

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly