• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tips for avoiding snowboarders

jenniferm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hate painting all boarders with the same brush, too. To be honest -- and this may sound sexist and/or ageist -- I think the most reckless behavior I see is done by high school/college-age males who are trying to impress their friends. To me, this seems to be the group that causes the most trouble, whether they're skiers or boarders.

Completely agree. The problem with snowboarders is that it skews heavily towards that very same high school/college/ male population, not that boarding is inherently evil.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Generally your weight should be slightly forward but you ride with both feet and your toes or heels steer to the direction you want to go. That’s why good snowboarders can ride without scraping the snow, they ride the board and body as one. Using just one leg to steer requires twisting of the body to change direction, therefore scraping of the snow. But weight should definitely not be on the back foot/tail of the board.
Knowing whether the snowboarder that you try to pass is on goofy/regular and heel/toe will give you an idea of which direction they’d likely take to stop so you can avoid them as safely as possible.

GaSkier

Certified Ski Diva
Same reason I don't listen to music skiing or running. I like being aware of my surroundings. Music would prevent me from hearing the dreaded scrap of boarders or a screaming kid behind me coming up on my tail, or hearing someone coming up beside me and kindly letting me know they are passing. I know the kids are playing the music loudly. You can talk to them and they are completely oblivious. Many of them have those portable music boxes in their jacket or pack and blare music for everyone on the run. Ugh.
I agree.

Yes, I've been treated to chairlift portable box music blaring hardcore, profanity-laced, woman-bashing rap (and I like a lot of rap) a couple of times. Both times I was at Heavenly. Yet another reason we decided to find other resorts for our trips. Of course, I've also had similar music blasted in the general vicinity during an organized cycling event. It was a group of about 8 guys and the music and volume was pretty rough. My friends and I finally slowed to a crawl to let them get far, far ahead of us (we weren't the only ones). Figured that arriving at the finish 10 minutes later was worth the peace. :smile: People get enjoyment from their experiences in many different ways.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well I can't avoid snowboarders - I wake up next to one every morning :eek:

There are ways to "align" boarders on a lift so they do not cross paths - i.e. goofy should be next to goofy easier if skier in the middle I'll check w/ DH later tonight about some of the other comments.

DD did a science fair project -- ocular dominance and footedness in snowboarders. Thinking that maybe more collisions occur b/c boarders do not have their dominant eye down hill. Ski patrol was very interested in the outcome. However, after interviewing over 150 boarders randomly on the lifts (establish eye dominance, check for footedness) it turns out that roughly 50% of boarders have their dominant eye facing down hill. So ocular dominance does not really play into it.

I think its certain age groups/ social media / etc as pointed out by others really create the problems.

3 boarders and 1 skier can be tricky, but if aligned correctly it should be smother. Incidentally I had my very first WTF 2 weeks ago with a middle aged female getting off the lift. 4 on 4 chair. I'm in middle with female skier - both our significant others were on the outside. We are chatting and she appears to be at least an intermediate skier. However, upon standing up at the end of the lift she immediately goes into a HUGE snowplow pushing me into DH. Luckily DH actually straps in on the lift so he is able to just board off the lift and keep going making room for me.

As far as lifts go I will say, I'd rather be on a lift with snowboarders than men on skis who feel the need to air their ball sack out on the lifts by hogging the chair with their legs spread out in a V and their skis hitting mine...... I know you've all seen this..... :tongue:

Christy

Angel Diva
I looked for a graph showing who causes collisions more often, but can't find that. The statistics for such a graph would have to come from lawsuits, I suppose. If settled out of court, then who is to blame would not be public. So I'm guessing there will be no such graph anywhere.

It's interesting to see statistics, but as you pointed out this is probably of cases that went to court. And of course the vast, vast majority don't. I didn't even report the 2 times I've been taken out (by a boarder) and I suspect that's how it is with most collisions.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well I can't avoid snowboarders - I wake up next to one every morning :eek:

There are ways to "align" boarders on a lift so they do not cross paths - i.e. goofy should be next to goofy easier if skier in the middle I'll check w/ DH later tonight about some of the other comments.

DD did a science fair project -- ocular dominance and footedness in snowboarders. Thinking that maybe more collisions occur b/c boarders do not have their dominant eye down hill. Ski patrol was very interested in the outcome. However, after interviewing over 150 boarders randomly on the lifts (establish eye dominance, check for footedness) it turns out that roughly 50% of boarders have their dominant eye facing down hill. So ocular dominance does not really play into it.

I think its certain age groups/ social media / etc as pointed out by others really create the problems.

3 boarders and 1 skier can be tricky, but if aligned correctly it should be smother. Incidentally I had my very first WTF 2 weeks ago with a middle aged female getting off the lift. 4 on 4 chair. I'm in middle with female skier - both our significant others were on the outside. We are chatting and she appears to be at least an intermediate skier. However, upon standing up at the end of the lift she immediately goes into a HUGE snowplow pushing me into DH. Luckily DH actually straps in on the lift so he is able to just board off the lift and keep going making room for me.

As far as lifts go I will say, I'd rather be on a lift with snowboarders than men on skis who feel the need to air their ball sack out on the lifts by hogging the chair with their legs spread out in a V and their skis hitting mine...... I know you've all seen this..... :tongue:

:rotf:

Even better on the gondola when they squish you into a corner.

Gratefulgal

Certified Ski Diva
I ski and work at Mount Snow, and we have a state of the art terrain park now which means a ton of boarders. At the risk of creating dissention I can say from experience and observation that it's young boarders who are the most reckless on the mountain. They don't seem to pay attention to anyone around them and it's a serious hazard. I also ditto the person who mentioned them scraping the powder off runs.
There should be runs for boarders only and skiers separate, imo not mountain free for all. Not sure my employers would like my opinion but as someone who has skied here since childhood, it's sad to see things becoming so reckless.

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Like WaterGirl, I also can't avoid snowboarders, because my SO is one. What's rather hilarious is the fact that I've run into HIM more than any other boarders (or skiers, for that matter, knock wood). I have a very BAD habit of not noticing when I am in his blind spot, and it's had some unfortunate consequences! He's a big guy with a big board, and riding tiny little lifts can be a bit of a challenge getting off. I have learned (also from experience) that when riding the lift with a snowboarder to angle my skis slightly to avoid my tails from coming down on top of the board. Sure they are supposed to straighten out when they get off, but it's not always perfect.

I also think boarders get a totally bad and undeserved rap--it is who is driving the board(s) not the boards themselves. That said, I DO love skiing at MRG and swear the bumps form differently there because there are no SBs.

OK, now for my complaints about SBs--it is a LOT more limiting in terms of accessing certain types of terrain, such as rolling BC terrain, or traverses to get the goods, and sometimes I get so aggravated at having to miss out because I am sticking with my guy. Like I would be skiing at MRG A LOT MORE if I were not with a SBer. But my complaints are mainly just to vent; I mostly feel super lucky to have a fun partner in crime who waits for ME on the up. :smile:

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
men on skis who feel the need to air their ball sack out on the lifts by hogging the chair with their legs spread out in a V and their skis hitting mine...... I know you've all seen this..... :tongue:

Oh yes alot ! and you're sitting there tight legged trying to hold your skis awkwardly to avoid contact.

QCskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have seen both skiers and snowboarders crash into the person in front of them so it has less to do with the particular equipment but who is operating it. Last year I was involved in a bad collision when an out of control skier crashed into me from behind. I hate to make a sweeping generalization but I think the problem is more teenage boys/young men who are perhaps overconfident and looking to show off to their friends. That observation is based on my experiences and that of my skiing friends.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I have seen both skiers and snowboarders crash into the person in front of them so it has less to do with the particular equipment but who is operating it. Last year I was involved in a bad collision when an out of control skier crashed into me from behind. I hate to make a sweeping generalization but I think the problem is more teenage boys/young men who are perhaps overconfident and looking to show off to their friends. That observation is based on my experiences and that of my skiing friends.
And their friends think it is hilarious when they crash too. Completely dismissing the fact their friend, let alone the person hit, could be very hurt. They think it's all part of the fun. Um, no.

I almost think the resorts should put up signs on the lift poles and in the gondolas saying things like "Think it's funny to clown around and hit someone? If they get hurt, get ready to be sued". The resorts would never put up something like that, but unless people see how there are consequences for reckless behavior, their behavior won't change. Same idea how insurance companies should deny coverage if it was found you were texting at the time of the crash.

Saw this recently and think there should be more straight, shocking to the point posters - https://www.nsaa.org/safety-programs/collisions/

Artis

Certified Ski Diva
Like others said, the problem is not really snowboarders. Just young men trying who feel like they need to impress their friends. Try skiing mornings and avoid runs that lead to or come from the park, usually they stay around there.

mustski

Angel Diva
My experience is that California/Nevada are snowboarders States. It seems that most people there think it is more hip to snowboard and skiing is for older people. I also find most snowboarders there have no idea what they are doing but think they are all Shawn White.

I would say that is true if you are skiing green or blue groomers. The majority of competent snowboarders are playing in the park or -if it's a powder day - playing in the trees and using the natural terrain. Also, contrary to what a lot of divas have stated in this thread - great boarders DO like bumps. In fact, they create these loooong style of bump that is actually really hard to ski. It's a pet peeve of mine and my favorite excuse for why I am not real competent in bumps.

I'm also leery of being reflexively negative about snowboarders esp in places like CA that have a more diverse population than many ski-oriented parts of the country. It's seen as a more accessible sport than skiing for people of backgrounds that don't typically grow up skiing - so being anti-snowboarder inadvertently comes across as rather racist in some contexts.
It's not racist at all; CA is very diverse and so is our SB population. Snowboarders in CA come primarily from two subcultures - the surf culture and the skateboard culture. I taught both high school and middle school in SoCal for 30+ years and can actually spot who is part of which subculture based on attitude (admittedly there is some crossover). Surfers are much more laid back and a lot less likely to talk smack than skateboarders. In general, surfers are pretty non confrontational and fairly affable. Skateboarders, on the other hand, are very territorial and privileged (regardless of race.). I can tell you stories of skaters .... but I won't. This does however explain the differing attitudes of SB in CA. Those who come from the surfer background are quite fun to hang out with. Those from the skater background .... well ... they can't surf. Nuff said!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ha! Much could be said of drivers of the same age group. Thus the reason car insurance is so darn high for this population!

Back when I was in personal lines insurance (MANY years ago now!) we used to refer to the under 20s as 'hormones with feet'. And yes, that IS why the insurance is so high. Plus texting ...... :eek:

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The last time I was at Snow Summit (SoCal) there were a few guys on boards smoking pot after they dropped in the middle of the run...

Another guy fell off his board and was throwing a big fit and left his board in the middle of the run... at night. He was like just leave it. I’m thinking, um, you can’t see it and my kid could come down this mountain and smash right into it... get your damn board. :mad2: Someone else moved his board out of the way... NOT someone he was with and did tell him off :yahoo:

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree. I felt bad for snowboarders because they are treated like 2nd class citizens sometimes. :frown:
Last year I skied at Highlands, the mtn.ambassador (skier) ran into this snowboarder and made him fell. But he did not feel the need to apologize because the person is a snowboarder (his actual words were: "who cares, the guy is a snowboarder"....)

Very well said.... :smile:

What? That is so wrong! A person is a person.

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For the most part it's not the boarders I have an issue with, it's the entitled little ski team brats who act like they own the mountain.

I've had my skis skied over and been barged out of the way in lift lines by them, they dart under ropes and get away with it because they have "Suchandsuch Ski Team" written on their jackets. Entitled kids turn into entitled adults, unfortunately.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds just like the kids here that are there on their weekly after school ski trip. I have found that Thursday evenings are not good because of this

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna