• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tiny little feet: searching for 22.5s

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
You marry your boots!! And, if your feet start to hurt, you will not be out there skiing. So spend money and time on your boots. You'll be happier for it.

And this is the voice of experience that many of us have gone through.

So does this mean those "good enough, ordered online boots" are like the college boyfriend you live with for a summer and then break up when real life starts?

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But why would a higher DIN hurt you?
If you’re set at too high a DIN for your size/ability, you will stay connected to the ski when you really want it to come off your foot, increasing the risk of a leg injury. Conversely, if you’re at too low a DIN, you will come out if your skis whenever you make a slightly imprecise movement with your feet, even when you’re nowhere near falling.

jumperlass

Certified Ski Diva
I have new boots! Jeff at Cayuga Ski and Cyclery measured my feet and decided I need, in fact, a 22.5 boot. He had two for me to try after he’d measured my feet in several dimensions. Fit me in just the liners. Fit me in just the shells. Recommends that the first time I ski in them I wear nylons instead of socks, to let them fit around my feet and break them in.

I find myself a little confused because he mentioned my feet being narrow, but the interwebs tell me that the boot he chose for me is considered wide. I think maybe just my heel is narrow? Because he talked about that being where my foot would be held snugly in this boot.

Anyway. I asked if these were really the right boots or just the rightest of what’s left in stock now. He said actually these are the right boots. The combination of smaller ankle and thicker calf all in a 22.5 boot means this is the best option. He can mold things for me or grind them later if needed, but nothing felt wrong today. He showed me how to test the flex, etc.

So I’m a lower intermediate skier in some new boots and I really hope that this time next year I’ve moved to enjoying all my local hill’s blue runs and trying out a black or two as well.

marzNC

Angel Diva
So I’m a lower intermediate skier in some new boots and I really hope that this time next year I’ve moved to enjoying all my local hill’s blue runs and trying out a black or two as well.
Wonderful!

By the way, the regional ski forum I got the recommendation from has started a Boot Fitter Directory for NY. So you are already helping others in the region where you live find Jeff at Cayuga. :smile:

newboots

Angel Diva
Sounds wonderful! Hooray for your bootfitter and you!

BTW, when I complained to my bootfitter that my heels are narrow but I'm wider further down the foot, he said, "Most women's feet are shaped like that." I ponder why my shoes never fit right, if that's the case.

jumperlass

Certified Ski Diva
I got a few runs in with a friend and my kiddos. (We stopped for kid- and visibility-reasons, not boot reasons.) I like my new boots! I wore the nylons rather than my new thin wool socks, and it was a good call because my toes were a touch crimped up even so--not in a way that caused pain. When I leaned forward and pushed my heels back, my toes had enough room.

As Jeff told me, my old boots had a very differently angled footbed and a different cant to the ankle. They pushed me forward, and he told me they make you feel forward, but in compensation you probably end up leaning back. I did find that my balance point was a little different today. But even though the snow was sticky and a little choppy today, I did a blue that I've only tried once before. I enjoyed it, and I definitely skied it better today than I did a few weeks ago for my first attempt. It's going to take a little adjustment time, but I think these boots were a good purchase. I'm really hopeful that I'll be happy on all the blues next year and ready to try a black or two as well.

MontanaMom

Certified Ski Diva
I'm happy to report the new boots are amazing! (Sometimes a bit uncomfortable but break in period!) My skiing definitely improved! My skis actually do what I ask!

I was hitting blacks with major confidence and speed, boyfriend was impressed! It is amazing.the difference good boots make! And he is a bit skeptical but I have to say I don't think I could have skied that well with my old boots. :smile: So happy!!

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Boot fitting is a process, but once they are dialed in, it's amazing! My feet never fit off the shelf. I wear a shoe size 8.5/9 and a 23.5 in boots. I have a short foot, wide ball, narrow heel, a very high instep and thunder calves (it's a definite family thing). I bought my newest boots last season and have been back to the boot fitter 4-5 times. The first 2-3 were pain issues, the rest are fine tuning stance issues (once the pain is gone, you can see other issues pop up). Now I can have them on all day without even loosening the buckles, but the first day I skied on them, I was in tears the pain was so bad and that was with custom foot beds.

You definitely have to ski on them, go back to the boot fitter, rinse & repeat. When the boot fitter wasn't were I normally skied (he was semi local to home), I would use a sharpie to mark exactly where my feet hurt (much easier to do when they still hurt). Take a picture or two so I could show the boot fitter, which could be days to a weeks later.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna