• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tiny little feet: searching for 22.5s

ddskis

Certified Ski Diva
Great info all! Another 22.5 here. The only thing I’d add is to have patience in the quest. I think I went to literally 6 different places and spent hours at each one finding the right fit/boot. Tried on every.single.boot. that was even a possibility. Got lucky and found the perfect fit boot on sale- sometimes the tiny boots are the last to go.
And knowing your foot is super important too. I seem to always go back to Lange- they just work for my foot.
Boots are now getting packed out and old and I just dread having to do it all again. Interested to try some of the above models mentioned though.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
This very timely link came up on my social media feed a moment ago: https://www.evo.com/guides/ski-boot-sole-length-size-chart

Evo apparently keeps a chart of its brands’ BSL! That means you can see quickly which major models are offered in 22.5. Doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t go to your bootfitter and work with them, but at least it gives you a starting point to know what’s out there.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This very timely link came up on my social media feed a moment ago: https://www.evo.com/guides/ski-boot-sole-length-size-chart

Evo apparently keeps a chart of its brands’ BSL! That means you can see quickly which major models are offered in 22.5. Doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t go to your bootfitter and work with them, but at least it gives you a starting point to know what’s out there.

That's a great chart! I see a few are missing, notably the Nordica Women's Promachine/Speedmachine series, which I know the women's Promachine are a 165 in a 22.5, and there are quite a few Rossi missing. The Rossi ZJ/ZA/ZB/ZC will have the same BSL as the Langes that are listed as they are the same boot. Note that a Tecnica 22.5 is 270, which for those who are on the longer edge of a 23.5 length but are told they should be in a 22.5 is a good option to give the toes a bit more room IF the overall shell fits your foot shape.

Either way, it's nice to see a lot of true 22.5 boots out there. I'd like to see more much lower volume options that aren't race boots because I think there are a lot of women like me with narrow, very low-volume, boney feet whose skiing has suffered for years due to slopping around even in LV boots.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ski boots fit so differently! I am a size 11 running shoe and a 255 ski boot (8.5)
That can't be right. I'm in a 22.5 boot and a 263 BSL. Size 7 street shoe. Are you sure it's not a 295?

Another thing I have been told is that some bindings work better than others with a small BSL. Paging @contesstant.
Well, Marker Squires are notorious for being a major a** pain to step into for a short BSL. I made the mistake of getting them AGAIN with my new Santa Ana 98s because "they're easier to step into than prior versions." Hogwash. I'm switching them out tonight for Warden 11s. Also, once you get below a 22.5, demo bindings become an issue. 21.5 boots also don't always come with an adult "lug", or binding interface. So you have to be careful if you are in a 21.5 or smaller.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Take the Evo chart as a guide. It’s out of date for some brands. The Tecnica Mach 1 22.5 is now 265, I have the older 270 version have not tried the new last size.

Most manufactures specs can be found on their site or catalogs published on Issuu.com

FWIW the marker squire will apparently have a new heel 21/22.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Guess I got lucky with the marker squires (majenta and black) on my Sambas. Never had an issue!

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That can't be right. I'm in a 22.5 boot and a 263 BSL. Size 7 street shoe. Are you sure it's not a 295?

Nope, 255 boot with a very NARROW/low volume foot. the boot fitter has to cut the inner liner to accommodate my length, but he makes it work! BSL is 294

Well, Marker Squires are notorious for being a major a** pain to step into for a short BSL. I made the mistake of getting them AGAIN with my new Santa Ana 98s because "they're easier to step into than prior versions." Hogwash. I'm switching them out tonight for Warden 11s. Also, once you get below a 22.5, demo bindings become an issue. 21.5 boots also don't always come with an adult "lug", or binding interface. So you have to be careful if you are in a 21.5 or smaller.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Funny, my co race coach is looking for new 22.5 boots, so this was the topic iof discussion at the house last night. Definite no for junior boots. My program director, a former PSIA Dev teamer and seasoned race coach said Solomons are the best for feet small in length but wide in width. Don't forget to factor volume/last width into your equation.

jumperlass

Certified Ski Diva
Either way, it's nice to see a lot of true 22.5 boots out there. I'd like to see more much lower volume options that aren't race boots because I think there are a lot of women like me with narrow, very low-volume, boney feet whose skiing has suffered for years due to slopping around even in LV boots.

All of this info is so helpful! I wear a 6.5 shoe (6 before kids!) but have been skiing in 23.5 boots. My feet can move around in all directions! I need to get smaller boots, but I’ve had trouble in the past with my feet going numb (not from cold, from cut off circulation) while skiing. I leave the buckle over my arches on the loosest setting now, which seems to have solved that problem. But I guess that means I have small feet, high arches. And biggish calves. Figuring out what to buy seems so daunting! I’m loving skiing but the shopping is intimidating. (I’m near Syracuse NY. Four hours from everywhere, as far as biggish ski places go.)
this thread is a starting place. So thanks, all.

jumperlass

Certified Ski Diva
Actually, Belleayre is a little under three hours away. I was wrong about that. I’ve never been, but it’s a little closer than I thought.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Actually, Belleayre is a little under three hours away. I was wrong about that. I’ve never been, but it’s a little closer than I thought.
Have you heard about Plattekill? It's only open Fri-Sun. But doesn't get lift lines like the mountains closer to NYC/NJ.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All of this info is so helpful! I wear a 6.5 shoe (6 before kids!) but have been skiing in 23.5 boots. My feet can move around in all directions! I need to get smaller boots, but I’ve had trouble in the past with my feet going numb (not from cold, from cut off circulation) while skiing. I leave the buckle over my arches on the loosest setting now, which seems to have solved that problem. But I guess that means I have small feet, high arches. And biggish calves. Figuring out what to buy seems so daunting! I’m loving skiing but the shopping is intimidating. (I’m near Syracuse NY. Four hours from everywhere, as far as biggish ski places go.)
this thread is a starting place. So thanks, all.
You might have short feet but a higher/larger instep - might be worth measuring your instep volume as well as your foot length and width before going shopping for boots, and sometimes online shopping with a good returns policy, plenty of research, and a small amount of post-purchase boot adjustment can work out well.

MontanaMom

Certified Ski Diva
So, I drove 1.5 hours today and had an awesome convo with a real boot fitter. He showed me where my feet are fairly narrow with a low instep so I have a very low volume foot. He said he recommends the Atomic hawk ultra 95 and he's going to see about ordering them. He said if I were a super aggressive advanced skier he'd say I definitely need a 22.5 but I'm right in the middle where a 23.5 is spacious and a 22.5 is snug. Said he would see about getting both. Sadly I'll be paying full retail but I guess if I get the right fit it isn't the end of the world. Custom insoles are another 150 but he said I could do that next year. Kinda bummed on the price because I could order them 80-100 bucks less on line but feel like their knowledge is worth it and it would be low to save that cash when that's what they do and how they make $$.

Now I know why I slip-slide around so much. My current boots have a 102mm last and he's trying to get me in a 98 last.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, I drove 1.5 hours today and had an awesome convo with a real boot fitter. He showed me where my feet are fairly narrow with a low instep so I have a very low volume foot. He said he recommends the Atomic hawk ultra 95 and he's going to see about ordering them. He said if I were a super aggressive advanced skier he'd say I definitely need a 22.5 but I'm right in the middle where a 23.5 is spacious and a 22.5 is snug. Said he would see about getting both. Sadly I'll be paying full retail but I guess if I get the right fit it isn't the end of the world. Custom insoles are another 150 but he said I could do that next year. Kinda bummed on the price because I could order them 80-100 bucks less on line but feel like their knowledge is worth it and it would be low to save that cash when that's what they do and how they make $$.

Now I know why I slip-slide around so much. My current boots have a 102mm last and he's trying to get me in a 98 last.
I would think you will end up saving that money very quickly if you need any modifications done either now or in the future though! Most fitters should include that cost with the boot they sell you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna