• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Timeless (Warren Miller) - time for more female athletes?

snowflurry

Diva in Training
What does everyone think of the new Timeless movie? A great kick off to the ski season, loved the imagery, epic skiing, resorts, story telling etc. What does it take to get a better gender balance in the athletes in the movie?

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I havent seen it- but I agree more women needed in general
Im anxiously waiting for the release of Jyosei.. All female ski movie.They've been doing premieres everywhere except MN.
I just watched a short video a few days ago by 3 ladies. "The Blondes"

elemmac

Angel Diva
I thought the movie was good overall, fun to watch, really good parts, and some pretty weak ones, IMO.

I don't like how Warren Miller films have seemed to turn into a series of infomercials for different skiing destinations. They've seemed to move away from telling the story of a ski-bum lifestyle, and now focus on luxury trips. There's definitely some good parts of the movie. I'm glad I watched it, but overall, kind of "meh".

On the topic of women in the movie, I actually thought it was a pretty decent ratio. Not 50-50 by any means, but better than many many previous films. If you filter their athletes by movie, looks like there were 7 women out of 19 athletes in Timeless. So 7-12...not terrible. In this article by SkiMag, they claim 10 women out of 29 skiers. Although, hard to really say how biased SkiMag's article is when you consider the fact that SKI and WME are owned by the same parent company.

I haven't seen the Matchstick movie yet, but I feel like they always deliver an entertaining and unique approach ski movies. I've always enjoyed their concepts and story lines they bring to their productions. Gaffney's response that their 4 token female athletes weren't available is a bit weak. Could they have gone out and recruited other female athletes? Probably. Would they have been sure the new athletes would have fit into their movie concept? Maybe not. Elyse Saugstad summed it up pretty well:

“I think it’s fine for a production company to do their own creative thing, after all, freeskiing is built on the basic premise that it’s non-conforming,” says Saugstad. But, she adds, “if it’s economic sustainability they’re after then, yes, it would make a lot of sense to be more inclusive of women because we are a significant market in the industry with buying power. To ignore that does not seem viable in the long run.”

I think it's fine to go back and forth with the number to female/male athletes in ski movies, depending on what your concept is, and who's the best cast to execute the concept. I'd hate to get to a point that producers are bringing in female athletes, just for the sake of having female athletes. I'd rather have them bring in athletes (male or female) because that specific person is best person for the job. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was kinda surprised to see 4 women featured in TGR's Winterland - not just "female" shenangians, but seriously bad-ass skiing. It's about time the "bro pool" finally added some rockin chicks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly