• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Time to get back

jmm77

Diva in Training
Hey divas,
I returned to skiing last year after a 12 year hiatus. I still have it in me! I’ve skied since I was 7 and mostly all in Northern Michigan with trips East and West on occasion. I am 43 (5’4” 145lb) and consider myself a conservative advanced intermediate looking to improve. The skis I had last are Volkl Energy 220 size 148 and Salomon Crossmax 8 in 160 - skied both last year and had some fun. Salomons felt okay, Volkl felt much better. I like to make shorter turns and am looking at buying some new gear. My concern is getting a ski that is too wide or unable hold an edge on the icy conditions we so frequently have. The last skis I was on were 62 waist and I guess I’m just not used to the new technology. With COVID, I don’t expect to travel this year, so I am okay with getting a ski that’s less versatile that way. I’ve been looking at the Volkl Kama, the Volkl Flair and the Salomon SMax 8 or 10. Welcome your thoughts and guidance!

Jilly

Staff member
I so have to agree with you regarding wider waisted skis and edge hold on hardpack. There are those that seem to be fine with them on it, I'm NOT!

So I ski a 68mm tuned down race ski. From you thinking about the SMax, then that is type of ski you're looking for.

If you can, try to demo early in the season. Unless you're looking for a summer deal.

BUT - more importantly how are your boots! You marry your boots, date your skis.

jmm77

Diva in Training
I bought a Nordica Speedmachine 85. It was on sale, felt good and I thought it would be a good place to start. My prior boot was a Nordica 9.1 as well as another Nordica before that. So, I stuck with what I know. It may or may not work, so I guess I‘m still dating in search of long term commitment material. I talked to someone at my local shop, but they didn’t seem too serious. I am asking around for any reputable boot fitters in my area...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly